AC3.2-rc1 Known Issues & Release Notes

Known Issues in AC3.2-rc1

1. Vehicle may suddenly roll or pitch when entering Hybrid mode. Be ready to re-take control with Stabilize
  2. Alt Hold pulses on Pixhawk when climbing in Auto, RTL, Guided modes

DIYDrones AC3.2-beta-testing discussion is here.

The official source of Release notes is the ReleaseNotes.txt file but I’ve also posted them below:

ArduCopter 3.2-rc1 9-May-2014
Changes from 3.1.4

1. Hybrid mode - position hold mode but with direct response to pilot input during repositioning (JulienD, SandroT)
  2. Spline waypoints (created by David Dewey, modified and integrated by Leonard, Randy)
  3. Drift mode uses “throttle assist” for altitude control (Jason)
  4. Extended Kalman Filter for potentially more reliable attitude and position control (Pixhawk only) (Paul Riseborough). Set AHRS_EKF_USE to 1 to enable or use Ch7/8 switch to enable/disable in flight.
  5. Manual flight smoothness:
    a) Smoother roll, pitch response using RC_FEEL_RP parameter (100 = crisp, 0 = extremely soft)
    b) Adjustable max rotation rate (ATC_RATE_RP_MAX, ATC_RATE_Y_MAX) and acceleration (ATC_ACCEL_RP_MAX, ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX)
  6. Autopilot smoothness:
    a) Vertical acceleration in AltHold, Loiter, Hybrid modes can be configured with PILOT_ACCEL_Z parameter (higher = faster acceleration)
    b) Maximum roll and pitch angle acceleration in Loiter mode can be configured with WPNAV_LOIT_JERK (higher = more responsive but potentially jerky)
    c) Yaw speed can be adjusted with ATC_SLEW_YAW parameter (higher = faster)
    d) smoother takeoff with configurable acceleration using WPNAV_ACCEL_Z parameter
    e) Twitches removed during guided mode or when entering Loiter or RTL from high speeds
  7. Mission improvements:
    a) mission will be resumed from last active command when pilot switches out and then back into Auto mode (prev behaviour can be restored by setting MIS_RESTART param to 1)
    b) DO_SET_ROI persistent across waypoints. All-zero DO_SET_ROI command restores default yaw behaviour
    c) do-jump fixed
    d) conditional_distance fixed
    e) conditional_delay fixed
    f) do-change-speed command takes effect immediately during mission
    g) vehicle faces directly at next waypoint (previously it could be about 10deg off)
    h) loiter turns fix to ensure it will circle around lat/lon point specified in mission command (previously it could be off by CIRCLE_RADIUS)
  8. Safety improvements:
    a) After a fence breach, if the pilot re-takes control he/she will be given a minimum of 10 seconds and 20m to recover before the autopilot will invoke RTL or LAND
    b) Parachute support including automatic deployment during mechanical failures
  9. Other enhancements:
    a) V-tail quad support
    b) Dual GPS support (secondary GPS output is simply logged, not actually used yet)
    c) Electro Permanent Magnet (aka Gripper) support
    d) Servo pass through for channels 6 ~ 8 (set RC6_FUNCTION to 1)
    e) Remove 80m limit on RTL’s return altitude but never let it be above fence’s max altitude
  10. Other bug fixes:
    a) Bug fix for LAND sometimes getting stuck at 10m
    b) During missions, vehicle will maintain altitude even if WPNAV_SPEED is set above the vehicle’s capabilities
    c) when autopilot controls throttle (i.e. Loiter, Auto, etc) vehicle will reach speeds specified in PILOT_VELZ_MAX and WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN parameters
  11. CLI removed from APM1/2 to save flash space, critical functions moved to MAVLink:
    a) Individual motor tests (see MP’s Initial Setup > Optional Hardware > Motor Test)
    b) compassmot (see MP’s Initial Setup > Optional Hardware > Compass/Motor Calib)
    c) parameter reset to factory defautls (see MP’s Config/Tuning > Full Parameter List > Reset to Default)
  12. Rally points (Pixhawk only) – copter will RTL to the nearest Rally point (if defined) instead of home

Hi Randy

Some days ago I was testing AC3.2-rc1 and I had a problem with Fail Safe, but I don’t know if that is an issue in firmware.

I was performing an AUTO mission when I had a small problem with my TX power that resulted in a momentary lost of connection. So Fail Safe was activated in my FrSky RX. I configured it to RTL mode when the link is lost (I mean, directly in the FrSky RX by way of its switch positions, not in APM).

The problem was that when RTL was activated by FS the quad fall down almost 70 meters without throttle, after flip over (maybe a consequence of no throttle). Fortunately I could save it by STABILIZE mode. After that RTL worked fine again and I resume my mission in AUTO mode, that was finished without problems.

What do you think about it?

Please, find here-attached the log of that flight.

Thanks in advance

Hi Randy,
Thanks for the improvements.
Where can we finde the Wiki for the Mode Hybrid and Spline Waypoint?
(Not included in the Instructions)
Otto

Lorbass, I wasn’t able to find an wiki instructions either, However, I did come across this groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … EMcMjAdGI0 which can give you some insights into the Hybrid Mode.

Hi, Thank you for the link.
Otto

[quote=“lorbass”]Hi Randy,
Thanks for the improvements.
Where can we finde the Wiki for the Mode Hybrid and Spline Waypoint?
(Not included in the Instructions)
Otto[/quote]

I tried {spline Waypoint} and it is fun but just beware: The nice curves done when you convert a standard waypoint to a spline one may actually bring your aircraft very near obstacles. In short try in a very open area before trying near trees or other things. :wink:

Hybrid is like Loiter if you do not touch your Tx sticks. If you start to move them it is a bit like stabilize.

Happy flying :mrgreen:

[quote=“osmunda”]Hi Randy

Some days ago I was testing AC3.2-rc1 and I had a problem with Fail Safe, but I don’t know if that is an issue in firmware.

I was performing an AUTO mission when I had a small problem with my TX power that resulted in a momentary lost of connection. So Fail Safe was activated in my FrSky RX. I configured it to RTL mode when the link is lost (I mean, directly in the FrSky RX by way of its switch positions, not in APM).

The problem was that when RTL was activated by FS the quad fall down almost 70 meters without throttle, after flip over (maybe a consequence of no throttle). Fortunately I could save it by STABILIZE mode. After that RTL worked fine again and I resume my mission in AUTO mode, that was finished without problems.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Hello,

I had the exact same issue : diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1661794
I was hoping this will be raised as a bug but apparently not :frowning:

[quote=“pierre_”][quote=“osmunda”]Hi Randy

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Hello,

I had the exact same issue : diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1661794
I was hoping this will be raised as a bug but apparently not :frowning:[/quote]

First set Taranis Failsafe to "No Pulses"
Second APM Mode 1 set NOT to Stabilize
It works on the desk, but I don’t trust it and do not test it in the air.

Else Pixhawk switch not to RTL instead to Land with no Power because Taranis switches for a verry short time to zero throttle which APM (Pixhawk) interpreat as Land and then disarme.

There is also a Warning in the WIKI copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/throttle-failsafe/

[i]Warning to FRSky receiver users and users of other receivers that modify channel 5 during a failsafe event

Some FRSky tx/rx systems receivers can only be set-up to modify all channels including the flight mode channel (channel 5) when a failsafe event occurs. For these receivers it is important to setup the receiver’s channel 5 failsafe value so that the APM is switched into RTL, Loiter or LAND. This is critical because there is a very short period of time (3/50ths of a second) between when the receiver pulls the throttle low and when the APM initiates the RTL or LAND. During this time, if the receiver also switches the flight mode channel to stabilize or acro the APM may switch to stabilize momentarily and then because the copter is in stabilize with throttle at zero it will disarm the copter (i.e. Test #2).
[/i]
I would say it is a real issue, and also with Version 3.1.4 and 3.1.5
This behavier ist: fall safe

I never had such issue with 3.1 version, with the exact same failsafe configuration.
Since my last crash I have activated both throttle failsafe and RTL mode.

Just loaded AC3.2-rc4 and got garbage from a serial terminal connection. 3 enter keys did nothing, and non-ascii characters kept coming while in serial monitor looking like a mavlink heartbeat.

3.1.5 worked fine with same exact hardware and computer setup.

@bajacondor,
I believe that they may have removed the CLI from ver 3.2 for ArduCopters due to memory considerations.
Regards,
TCIII GM

[quote=“pierre_”]I never had such issue with 3.1 version, with the exact same failsafe configuration.
Since my last crash I have activated both throttle failsafe and RTL mode.[/quote]

Did this correct the failsafe aka falling from the sky problem for you? I just installed my first full Fail safe receiver [fr sky ] and it works great unless I’m in stabilize more and shut the TX off. On the desk it just goes to RTL as expected but in the air it just dropped like a rock. No problem if TX shut off whilst in auto, alt hold. Only in stabilize.

govsux, it’s not an APM problem but a configuration that you did…well I think.

When you configured your failsafe on your frsky, you probably did the same error than me and leave your trottle at 0.
When you configure the failsafe, it save all value from all channels.

In MP, go to the failsafe page and check the value of channel 3 (I think)…when you turnon and turnoff your TX.

[quote=“martyouel”]govsux, it’s not an APM problem but a configuration that you did…well I think.

When you configured your failsafe on your frsky, you probably did the same error than me and leave your trottle at 0.

In MP, go to the failsafe page and check the value of channel 3 (I think)…when you turn on and turnoff your TX.[/quote]
Thanks but I don’t think that’s it. It works fine in other modes only has the problem when it should be going into FS RTL from stabilize mode.

[quote=“govsux”][quote=“martyouel”]govsux, it’s not an APM problem but a configuration that you did…well I think.

In MP, go to the failsafe page and check the value of channel 3 (I think)…when you turn on and turnoff your TX.[/quote]
Thanks but I don’t think that’s it. It works fine in other modes only has the problem when it should be going into FS RTL from stabilize mode.[/quote]

Look here: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/throttle-failsafe/
Warning to FRSky receiver users and users of other receivers that modify channel 5 during a failsafe event

Some FRSky tx/rx systems receivers can only be set-up to modify all channels including the flight mode channel (channel 5) when a failsafe event occurs. For these receivers it is important to setup the receiver’s channel 5 failsafe value so that the APM is switched into RTL, Loiter or LAND. This is critical because there is a very short period of time (3/50ths of a second) between when the receiver pulls the throttle low and when the APM initiates the RTL or LAND. During this time, if the receiver also switches the flight mode channel to stabilize or acro the APM may switch to stabilize momentarily and then because the copter is in stabilize with throttle at zero it will disarm the copter (i.e. Test #2).

I have just built a new Y6 kit and as I have 3.1.5 on the IRIS I thought I would give 3.2 Beta a go on the Y6.

I installed 3.2.rc10 from the Beta channel and when through the initial setup and carried out the compass calibration set to PixHawk. This set some values OK.
I went on through RC calibration and finished off setup, but then it keeps on complaining about Pre-Arm no compass calibration.
I tried re-doing the compass calibration and even switching to the external compass option (to be honest I’m not sure which the Y6 needs, as the picture for the external compass looks like the 3DR GPS block for the Y6).

Still no joy, as it keeps on complaining no compass calibration.

So for the moment, I have given up on 3.2.RC10 and gone back to 3.1.5. I went through this setup OK (well apart from it warning about the FS_THR setting, which I just moved down to 950).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong with 3.2, as I seem to have a working Y6 with 3.1.5 and it has gone through all the calibration and ESC setup without any issues?

I guess I should have mentioned that I am getting the pre-arm compass calibration failure with APM 2.0.15rc1 on OS X.
I see the calibration OK dialog saying writing values for two compass modules and the params list shows two compass module IDs.
So I can’t seem to calibrate the compass(es) with APM in a way to get 3.2rc10 working on my Y6B.

[quote=“bajacondor”]Just loaded AC3.2-rc4 and got garbage from a serial terminal connection. 3 enter keys did nothing, and non-ascii characters kept coming while in serial monitor looking like a mavlink heartbeat.

3.1.5 worked fine with same exact hardware and computer setup.[/quote]

I have noticed the exact same issue. I reverted back to 3.1.5 and all is well. I want to download the raw logs. Someone mentioned on this thread the CLI may have been removed in 3.2. Is this confirmed? If so, how do I download the raw logs? It will not let me using 3.2.

It’s been mentioned a few times on the 3.2 blogs CLI has been removed from apm2 as not enough flash space for it and everything else.
Logs are now downloaded via mavlink in mission planner, under the HUD on the flight data screen are your gauges along with a list of tabs. Select dataflash logs and you will see the download logs via mavlink button. Job done.

After 2 or 3 flights my Copter won’t Arm because it failed the Pre Arm Check, always with Bad Accel Health. The virtual horizon in Mission Planner works flawlessly, but it won’t arm. I reflashed 3.2, got everything calibrated again and it flew perfectly for two flights then it happened again.
It’s only a RTFHawk (a clone), but I’ve read about it happening to 3DR Pixhawk users, too.

My Hawk is surrounded by wires and a Teensy for the FrSky Telemetry, could RF noise be a problem for the Accel? (The compass is working fine though)
If you need any additional infos feel free to ask.
Thank you for your time.