Aborted landing and flaps

Ive noticed a behavior, on aborted landings, that retracts the flaps immediately when the abort command is given - at least when the abort comes from a manual (rc input) mode change. ill need to look and see if the behavior is the same when the FC initiates the abort.
retracting the flaps on an aborted landings is a big no-no. it has caused many deaths in full scale aviation. doing this, especially when airspeed and altitude are low, causes a sudden loss of altitude and more susceptibility to tip stall. either of these greatly increase risk of crash so near the ground.

1 Like

I agree with you fully about the issue of flaps being retracted too soon on go-arounds in traditional aviation.

I’m very curious to know what happens if you trigger an automatic landing abort (Throttle over 90%, or GCS triggered). In those modes the wiki states the auto take off settings are used. In my experience that’s true, however in the planes I was testing they either didn’t have flaps, or the flaps were manually controlled. I’m assuming you’re using automatic flaps?

I just notice the wiki says that in manual/FBWA mode the automatic flaps are manually controlled. So unfortunately to me that would mean the flaps would also revert to manual control if you abort a landing by switching to a manual control mode. I agree, not an ideal situation.

Please share what happens in an automatic abort.

1 Like

i think i saw a parameter to add some flaps, even in a user-controlled mode, below a certain airspeed. This might be a workaround for the manual aborts. i’m not sure what to think of having flaps deploy all the time below a certain airpseed, though - im a little afraid they’d deploy during a climb then retract during level and cause various issues. ill look into it.
i will be ‘attempting’ to try the automatic abort (throttle or ?), but it is extremely scary since the rudder is changing the heading toward disastrous situations that will end in crashes/damage. the planes i fly are not foam, so they sustain considerable damage when crashed. also, when the rudder kicks in, if the deflection is extreme (all but 1 case i saw) it can cause the plane yaw so bad (while holding wings level) that its just a matter of sub-seconds before it stalls in such awkward attitude/heading.
i will post when i find out more.

It is an interesting problem. We also can’t leave the flaps out
indefinitely when you switch to a pilot-controlled mode - that could lead
to its own problems.

Certainly for MANUAL the flaps must go away instantly - its on the user
to fly the aircraft in manual, not the autopilot.

Blockquote
i think i saw a parameter to add some flaps, even in a user-controlled mode, below a certain airspeed. This might be a workaround for the manual aborts. i’m not sure what to think of having flaps deploy all the time below a certain airpseed, though - im a little afraid they’d deploy during a climb then retract during level and cause various issues. ill look into it.

oops. it seems those flap deployment parameters, that set a percentage of flaps/speed, are for guided modes. They do not operate in manual or fbwa modes.