Abort "battery low failsafe" result in motors stop during VTOL flight

Incident happened during initial testing and tuning of a new a Heewing T1 VTOL (small tiltrotor VTOL). The model uses a Matek H743 Wing V2 with the latest stable Arduplane fw (4.3.7) and bdshot. Radio controller was Radiomaster TX16s running latest stable OpenTx with ELRS 3.2,1 (mode sw ch. 6.).

After having performed Quicktune), I landed and shortly thereafter took off again to evaluate the tune. With the model hovering a few meters from me and close to the ground (testing q_loiter and q_stabilze), the low battery failsafe triggered QRTL and the model started ascending (bat_fs_low_act was set to 1=RTL). At about 3m altitude I opted to abort the failsafe by changing the flight mode (toggled the flight mode-switch into and out of QRTL). When doing so all three motors stopped immediately, and the model fell nose first to the ground. There was no damage to the model (soft ground).

This makes me wonder, and below are some thoughts.

1. I cannot see that changing into QTRL and back to q_stabilize (or q_loiter) should trigger disarm during battery low failsafe?

2. Would it make any difference if I toggle between q_loiter and q_stabilize instead? It should not, but it makes me wonder.

3. Possible bad Arduplane settings on my behalf?

4. Bug in the Arduplane/VTOL code?

I have checked the logs, but I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can have a look at it (link below) :blush:.

Regards Ronny Sandslett

I see from the logs that it actually had started decending when I did the flight mode change. In any case the motors should not have stopped when doing so.

Got answer on discord and have to blame my self:

It was in qstabilize when the fs kicked in (I was evaluating the quicktune, switching between modes)…
I might have been cought out by the rapid ascend at lowered the throttle… and then since I was in qstabilze it fell when I took it out of fs…

You live and learn… have to figure out some procedures to avoid this in the future.

1 Like