A battery issue? Battery % drops like lead

I adjusted the amps/volt, but still… My battery percentage still drops at a rate of about 1% per second. My other copter, configured almost exactly the same, doesn’t have the problem using the same battery. I’ve tried comparing params to find the difference without any luck finding anything.
My params:
S1000 (copter with problem):
params2022november30r11.param (17.6 KB)
s900 (copter without problem):
params30november2022r1.param (17.5 KB)

it could be a faulty item if all parameters are the same

I thought everybody did it the charged vs logged ratiometric way. I have seen this being described since 2015.

per the wiki that is not how the ardu team has asked to calibrate them so if that’s the better way and we want to keep pushing folks to the wiki it needs to be added. I have never done it this way so I am not the right person to add it to the wiki. Just because its described does not mean everyone has done it this way especially when the definitive source is the wiki doesn’t explain it that way.

I too am not sure why it appears to be dropping so fast. What is the current draw while powered by battery? No USB cable connected

I still think you need to set something like these, even bump them all up another 10% for extra safety
BATT_ARM_MAH,6000 (70%)
BATT_LOW_MAH,4000 (80%)
BATT_CRT_MAH,2000 (90%)
The values you have would kill the battery if the voltage levels werent set correctly.

I think you’re right about a hardware issue; specifically my connecting of the new power modules and sensor hub. On one copter, I did the wiring as sleekly as possible, nice and fitted, but on the copter experiencing the problem, I spliced the BEC wires in two places to lengthen it. Then I added AS-150 connectors in between the sensors and another set of connectors to a y connector (so I could remove the “y” any time.) Maybe all that wire and solder (and I also probably overdid it on the soldering) is causing resistance or somehow a problem. The wiring bothers me a bit anyway, so I will redo the wiring.

The params are so close to the same at this point that I’ve eliminated any other possible problem as far as I or anyone else seems to be able to tell.

problem copter:
params1December2022disabled output14r1.param (17.6 KB)
no problem copter:
params1December2022r2.param (17.5 KB)

1 Like

I’ll check this out before I redo the wiring.

Don’t worry, I’m only keeping them low for testing since the voltage drops so fast that I can’t even try to arm because of battery failsafe. Before I fly, I will set these to reasonable levels and double check all my failsafes (again.) Thanks to your posting it, I won’t forget.

I’ll try this method once I get it airborn. I am guessing that the reason it is more precise than the actual measurements from Mauch has something to do with the battery used, wiring, etc. of the entire system in use.

1 Like

My issue has been resolved… But now you’ve got me thinking if I need the sensor hub at all and in fact if I am losing redundancy by using it? Are you implying that I could choose to abandon the sensor hub and instead let Arducopter (by configuring two battery monitors) handle it?

I think it will be best to retain the sensor hub.
Only remove it if you really need to save the weight.

what resolved this issue? was it a setting or wrong number in a setting?

No, a wiring problem. Too long wires, too many connectors and solder. I mounted the BEC’s closer to the sensor hub and removed my convenience connectors that I had wired in. I tested it today with a battery and it stayed firm at 99%.

Ok. I take it that the Mauch is more reliable than the Cube, handles the input better, is calibrated better or something? I suppose the chances of a sensor hub failing might be less than a carrier board failing. The reason I added the sensor hub and second sensor was because I want redundancy. I’ve still got another 2 or 3 lbs payload capacity, so weight isn’t a concern.

1 Like