7 Inch Copter very fast Roll Oscillation

Well done Michael,now your happy camper,with Ardupilot things just seem to get sorted without fuss and with Dave and Andy so knowledgeable and helpful it is an awesome platform and every one else that helps thank you for helping us to have fun and enjoyment

Iā€™m glad you got it working! Your static notch bandwidth is really wide. Iā€™m curious, did you end up there from your testing?

I donā€™t see a Static Notch parameter in that page of parameter dump (posting the parameter file would be more efficient). The Dynamic Notch BW is set at 1/2 the center frequency which is routine.

My mistake; I misread the parameter name.

Interesting, I had guessed this value was expressed as some kind of % (the ā€˜typicalā€™ range was up to 0.9) so the max value would be a 1 for 100%.

What does it actually do? :slight_smile:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for noticing this, maybe I still need to fix something ??? I went through the FILTER instruction page you linked, and set everything as recommended. I do not remember seeing a recommended value for static notch parameter, but it is possible I just missed it. I will recheck for this on the filter page instructionsā€¦

Any value not listed in the text was not changed and was left at its default setting. I do not transfer parameter files. I do a full erase on the flight controller, load ArduCopter 4.1 Beta with bootloader, and then enter everything manually from that text file I made.

Hi Michael-You may not need a Static Notch so at this stage I wouldnā€™t worry about it. In most cases the Dynamic Notch can cover everything.

Thatā€™s good practice. I was only suggesting attaching the parameter file rather than pasting the text here. Flight logs are too big to attach but parameter files are tiny.

I found it. I will do a test flight and configure a static notch filter, even though the copter is now flying really well, I am getting RED VIBE warning on the data screen at high speeds. It does also occasionally switch EKF filters in flight when I do an abrupt maneuver it does not like. So I assume I need to enable the vibration logging, and configure the static notch to what the vibration frequency is at high speeds. Thanks for your help, am really glad I am learning how to do this !!!

• Set [INS_NOTCH_ENABLE] = 1 to enable the static notch
  • Set [INS_NOTCH_FREQ]= resonant peak in Hz to set the notch center frequency
  • Set [INS_NOTCH_BW] = the notch bandwidth, a reasonable default is half of the center frequency
  • Set [INS_NOTCH_ATT] = the notch attenuation, higher attenuation will make the notch deeper and

Whether you need the Static Notch or not depends on the response seen with FFT. There are not that many cases where both a static and dynamic notch are useful. The best used for Static notch I have seen have been on larger craft and it was configured at a lower frequency than the Dynamic notch to deal with a specific situation. You donā€™t want overlapping filters.

Once upon a time I had a 5 inch quad, that I tried to tune with arducopter. I had no luck. Gave up. That said, Iā€™m no expert.

At the time, someone said that arducopter just does not do well with smaller quadcopters. Maybe things have changed?

It would be great if there were a series of standard frames and builds, where someone somewhere could do optimum tunes, so if someone wanted to build that exact same frame, motors, ESC, etc, they could actually go flying with arducopter on ā€œsmallerā€ frames.

Hi @wsalopek,

I think APā€™s support of smaller copter frames has improved a lot since @andyp1per got involved.

By the way, we have a reference frames section on the wiki which is meant to gather up info on complete frame setups that are known to work. Iā€™m pretty much the only one who has added pages but as long as weā€™ve got a ā€œmaintainerā€ for the page (e.g. someone who takes responsibility for keeping it up to date) we are very happy to have others add to this section.

1 Like

Continuous improvement I would say. My 1st 5" is probably 4yrs old now and it was flying pretty well when I built it. Built several since, 3", 4" and 2 more 5" models, one sub 250g.

1 Like

My 7 inch copter is flying very nicely now. My initial problems in this thread were simply me not knowing how to tune a copter. I am not that experienced with copters, but am learning fast with all the help I got here.

I looked at Beta Flight because that is what everyone uses for tiny copter freestyle, but dismissed that idea right away when I saw how limited telemetry, and other features are compared to ArduCopter. I am glad I did not waste any time with Beta Flight, I would never have been happy with it.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping to do some standard builds

1 Like

Thanks very much Andy. Much appreciated.

I may be able to help in some way (but like I said Iā€™m no expert in the tuning dept). PM me if you like.

Hi, the standard tuning for 8" to 10" props is absolutely prefect in Autopilot. IRIS size by 3DR obviously there has been a lot of time into getting this right in the past. Anything in the 6" 7" props size just needs a little PID reduction using " basic tuning " menu and a small reduction in the roll PIDā€™s If this goes away or is modified that would be disasterous for my builds and work flow. As a custom frame maker and hardware installer i made a lot of frames that never needed any tuning at all in the 8 to 10 props using 960 kv. Naturally itā€™s nice to be able to have the fine tuning tools if needed and are appreciate for sure.

One thing the worries me is this is more of an issue in LOIT flight mode.

OK, I have flown a bunch of multirotors of various sizes and with several Flight Controllers today and I see no issue with Loiter. In fact you can tune Loiter to be very responsive.

One short example of a 5" flying Loiter most of the time (a few minutes ago). I would challenge anyone to find any fault with this. By every measure itā€™s good.

2 Likes

Thanks good information what firmware is working well for you?.

1 Like

I ran 4.2.0-Dev on the 4 craft I flew today but I think Beta7 would do just as well accept for fast Auto Mission.

1 Like