6S Lipo & APM Power module

Hello members,

With so many options of flight controllers for multicopters, it was really difficult to make a decision on which one to select, but now when I have finally made up my mind & have decided to used APM 2.6 for my hexacopter project, it seems i have a problem

The problem lies in APM Power module which wont work with 6S lipo (22.2v). Since I plan to power my copter with a 6S 10000mah Lipo & the maximum input voltage of the power module is 18v, i just don’t know what to do here, I am in desperate need of some expert advise.

P.S. I can do a hack in the power module if needed, I am experienced in electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Comet,

I believe I’ve read you can bypass the regulator that goes to the 5V line to the APM. This would then require you to provide 5V power to the APM via separate means. I do not know if that is a supported method or not, but it is an option.

Others have purchased the higher capacity modules such as the atto ones like these for 6S setups.

I had a quick look and found this post on DIYD which I think is the post I read last year that has me thinking of the disabling of the adc.

[color=#004000]Moved from Copter/General to Hardware/Power modules,
This is not a Copter software support question!
Please post your support requests to the appropriate subforums![/color]

Thanks Stefan, had just missed that - you beat me to moving it :slight_smile:

Hello, Many Thanks “JoshW” i deeply appreciate your help. The method looks useful, I will order a ATTOPILOT right away.

Hello StefanG,
Please except my apologies, you must be familiar & fed up with newbees making such mistakes.

Here your answer in a recent blog i wrote on this very specific topic, enjoy:
diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/pow … ike-the-us

Thanks Hugues, the scheme is so detailed & easy to understand, Lots of information in your blog.

However I have one question. Is it OK if i use CRIUS V/I Sensor Voltage & Current Sensor 50V/90A instead of ATTOPILOT, it looks pretty much the same to me but would be better if you could confirm that.
goodluckbuy.com/crius-v-i-se … pilot.html

@comet,
Since you want to use CRIUS sensor, which is not a 3DR product, I suggest that you post your question over on the DIY Drones website as you will probably not get a response from the 3DR Moderator.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

[quote=“comet”]Thanks Hugues, the scheme is so detailed & easy to understand, Lots of information in your blog.

However I have one question. Is it OK if i use CRIUS V/I Sensor Voltage & Current Sensor 50V/90A instead of ATTOPILOT, it looks pretty much the same to me but would be better if you could confirm that.
goodluckbuy.com/crius-v-i-se … pilot.html[/quote]

Yes it is the same as attopilot,except older PCB. I would favor the more recent attopilot board

@TCIII
Thanks for your suggestion.
what about ATTOPILOT, is it a 3DR product?

You can use the atto pilot sensor for current measuring when using a 6S battery. The voltage will be 25.2V max when using a 6S, not 22V which is the nominal voltage

See copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … nt-sensor/ on how to setup.

Note the 90A sensor can measure up to 136A on the APM2.6.

@billbonney
Thank you very much for your reply.

no Attopilot is not a 3DR product but it is a good product.

I’ve heard a few times that 3dr will be producing a power module that can handle higher voltage and current. I don’t know the details but I’m sure there’s a lot of pent-up demand for it.