4s lipo(minimosd + immersion 5.8 + gopro)

Hi, posted this on diydrones and didn’t get any reply :frowning:

This is how i got my setup. So far no magic smoke.
I use the internal battery of my gopro.
Do you guys think i can continue to use this or am i looking for trouble?

If i decide to power my gopro from my lipo do you guys think i could just get the 5v from the immersion 5.8 that is powering my minimosd and connect it to my gopro?

Thanks for anyhelp. :slight_smile:

Hi,

You are powering the transmitter (Tx) from the battery balance connector so I guess you are taking the voltage only from one cell which gives you 3.7V it seems to be too low, consult your Tx manual for the voltage requirement.

Regarding the GoPro, I’ve seen video and charging cables like this:
and they indicate 5V input, I think you can connect the 5V output from the Tx to the GoPro but you should double check the GoPro USB specification or you could contact GoPro technical support.

Here also can find the miniOSD documentation it doesn’t apply for GoPro since the camera is not 12V, but could help you as a reference:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … ion-guide/

Hi thanks for the answer. I made a cable that will give the total volts from the 4s lipo to the vtx and from the specs of the immersion 600mw i know it can take volts till 6s lipos so no problem there.

My problem is the way i have the cables connected. I am using the 5v from the immersion(vx) to power the right side of the minimosd. I don’t know if i am doing any harm wiring up everything like that since i don’t think anybody has done it this way.
I also don’t have a full comprehension of “common ground”.

The gopro requires 5v.
Basically i would like to know if all looks well and if i can just splice into the 5v coming out from the vtx and join it to the gopro cable 5v in, or do i need to add an extra ground cable too.

I do have the gopro usb to tx cable that i bought.

[quote=“RogelioN”]Hi,

You are powering the transmitter (Tx) from the battery balance connector so I guess you are taking the voltage only from one cell which gives you 3.7V it seems to be too low, consult your Tx manual for the voltage requirement.

Regarding the GoPro, I’ve seen video and charging cables like this:
and they indicate 5V input, I think you can connect the 5V output from the Tx to the GoPro but you should double check the GoPro USB specification or you could contact GoPro technical support.

Here also can find the miniOSD documentation it doesn’t apply for GoPro since the camera is not 12V, but could help you as a reference:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … ion-guide/[/quote]

The voltage pins on the right side of the miniOSD are wired to the LM2842Y regulator which has a configuration to output 5V, since the MAX7456 requires 5V .

On the LM2842Y 5V configuration the VIN requieres at least 7V, please see ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2842.pdf page 10.

My recommendation is to power the right side of the miniOSD with a voltage from 7 to 12.

Regarding the GoPro I think you have a common ground between the Vtx, miniOSD and GoPro so I don’t think you need additional GND wire, but as I said you should double check the GoPro USB specification or you could contact GoPro technical support.

Related information:
miniOSD eagle files: stuff.storediydrones.com/MinimOSD-v11.rar
MAX7456 datasheet: sparkfun.com/datasheets/Bre … AX7456.pdf
LM2842 datasheet: ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2842.pdf

[quote=“RogelioN”]The voltage pins on the right side of the miniOSD are wired to the LM2842Y regulator which has a configuration to output 5V, since the MAX7456 requires 5V .

On the LM2842Y 5V configuration the VIN requieres at least 7V, please see ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2842.pdf page 10.

My recommendation is to power the right side of the miniOSD with a voltage from 7 to 12.

Regarding the GoPro I think you have a common ground between the Vtx, miniOSD and GoPro so I don’t think you need additional GND wire, but as I said you should double check the GoPro USB specification or you could contact GoPro technical support.

Related information:
LM2842 datasheet: ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2842.pdf[/quote]

Wow so much info! Thank you! The minimosd does sometimes get blocked up on start up. That might be because i am feeding it only 5v instead of the 7v required.
I will investigate some more.

[quote=“micha3l19”]The voltage pins on the right side of the miniOSD are wired to the LM2842Y regulator which has a configuration to output 5V, since the MAX7456 requires 5V .

Related information:
LM2842 datasheet: ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2842.pdf[/quote]

Wow thank you so much for those datasheets. That really gave me some information that I was looking for. Do you have a link for what changes were made from MinimOSD 2.0 to MinimOSD 2.1? From what I gather the MinimOSD changed from having a linear VR to a switching type at least.