4+1 Thrust saturating, Can only lift at 100% throttle

Dear All,

I am building this flying wing / Delta, 4+1 VTOL, However I can not get it to lift, it seems like my throttle saturates. The aircraft AUW is 3.2kg , My flight controller is Durandal, my motors are Turnigy 3010B ,1300kv( with 1.6kg thrust per motor) , my props are a 14 inch Apc props, my ESC are 60 amps ZTW beatles and the battery is a 3s Lipo at 16000mAH, and my radio transmitter is a Fry Taranis plus .

I have done the ESC calibrations a couple times ,using both the manual method by plugging in the ESC to my receiver 1 by one, and also using the Q_ESC_cal = 1 as indicated in the doc, and I have also done the radio calibration using the setup tab of mission planner.
Also used the initial turning tab of mission planner to set my Air screw size to 14 inch and the battrey to 3s

I have used the motor test in mission planner and the motors starts to spin at 5%, however i can not get it to lift.

When I try hooking one of the motors and ESC directly to the receiver and give it thrust , I am getting great amount of thrust as opposed to when the motors are hooked trought the Flight controller.

Attached is a link to BIN files on some of the tests and an image of the drone.

Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oM3FWxoy6Z0NDtOFam7QvmzM5gqCI6ik?usp=sharing

I think your quadmotor props are too big. Try going down to 13" or even 12". You might also consider 4S instead of 3S

Good luck.

how much is the battery c-rate? is it enough…?

there will be voltage drop when you use quad mode

Thanks so much Rollys, I have some T-Motor AT3520 Long shaft KV850, rated for 3-4S. I will try fit those on and try. I will try updgrade my battery to a 4S as well. I will mantain the 14inch props however as I have only those at the moment, and in the T-Motor documentation it indicates I should be able to get about 2kg thrust at 60% and about 3kg at 100% per motor, which is way too high for my 3.2kg aircraft.

I will communicate once I do the changes and test perhaps tomorrow.!

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Truth_T,

My Battery C-rating is 35C, and it’s a 16000mah 3S, that I modified from a 6S pack.

I would say the battery is quite okay, because I also tested with a Turnigy Multsar 3S battery rated at 5200mAh and 10 discharge. This pack was not modified in any way. But I had the same experience.

I will try incorporate the changes suggested, and report back to you all!

1 Like

I don’t think that’ll solve your issue. It might even make it worst. In looking at Hobbyking’s site, it recommends 9"-11" prop size.

Good luck.

Hi Rollys,

Thanks much. I do have some 9 inch props. I will try them on tomorrow morning and keep you posted. I should mention however that on my current setup I did witness some great amount of thrust momentary during one of my test, which all went away once I disarmed and did the test again.

Let me do the changes you suggest first ( try some 9inch props that I have at the moment, since I don’t have the 10 & 11 inch props) , and see what will change.

I will keep you posted!

did you solve your problem? could I ask?

Hi Truth_T,

Thanks, I have not done another test yet. I had to order 2 additional motors, as I was missing those it should take another week or 2 before they show up. I currently have 3 T-Motor AT3520 kv850, The documentation indicates I should be able to have up to 3.8kg max thrust at 100% throttle and about 2.8 at 60%.

In the meantime I am redesigning and reinforcing the rod that joins to the wing and holds the quad motors.

I suspect it would be wobbly if given some much powerful thrust.

I have also buddled up a 4s battery battery pack with a 16000mah capacity, which looks good so far.

I will keep you posted