Servers by jDrones

3G Cellular telemetry

(Henry Wurzburg) #1

I have been searching thru the site for a simple solution that would connect to the FC telem port and send Mavlink over the cellular network directly to my Android cellphone running QGC…and I find pieces and parts, but not a complete solution…ie a transparent UDP modem like the WIFI ESP8266 poject but using cellular datalink instead of WIFI datalink…
I would think that a SIM800 module, a prepaid SIM card, and an Arduino nano board could tie to a Mavlink telem port and send packets directly over cellular network to my Android phone running QGC using UDP…right?
but I haven’t been able to find any complete solutions…
anyone know of one?

(Dave) #2

(Henry Wurzburg) #3

Thanks but way overkill and way overpriced…should be able to do it for <$50 for telemetry…have found a < $20 2G solution, but it seems to need some buffering that I am not sure is really required yet…investigating with author now about that

(James Pattison) #4

Andruav is still around I think, which is an app for using an old phone for telemetry and video

(wkf94025) #5

A year ago I looked at 2G/3G/4G options for a non-UAV telemetry application, and vaguely recall that modest bandwidth 3G hardware was in the price band Henry quoted. It would be cool. Watching this topic.

Kelly

(Henry Wurzburg) #6

Interesting, but heavy…will keep it in mind