3DR Radio in Bootloader mode after failed firmware update

Yeah, it doesn’t respond with OK. There is no response. Mission Planner and the radio setup tool fail as well.

The light is red already, which should be bootloader mode, but MP will not communicate with it. I think its in some half-baked state. It’d be nice if there was a factory reset. I’ll try the shorting approach again to see if I can get it to be responsive.

Shorting those pins should be boot loader mode. If you can’t get into bootloader mode factory reset wouldn’t be any good to you anyway as it does it via the boot loader as well.

Thanks, Grant.

1 Like

If it is in boot loader mode already, does MP know how to upload without getting responses from the AT commands? It cycles through various modes including bootloader and finally says “failed to identify radio”.

I tried shorting the CTS and Ground pins, but don’t see any difference in the response.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-sik-telemetry-radio.html#connecting-the-radios

Do you know if shorting the two pins works with v2 of the 3DR radio?

I have a cable where I shorted pins 4 and 6 while I plugged the radio into the USB cord:

Is that correct?

I noticed that the board had “boot” printed on it as well. Am I supposed to short from there instead?

All of the sudden MP worked! Its fixed now! Thanks for your help!

Its the kind of thing where you need to have a few goes to get it to work. Fantastic its now working.

Thanks, Grant.

@gmorph

Hi guys, Same exact thing happened to me. QGC secretly uploaded the firmware and I unplugged it halfway through…oops. Now I’m getting those same messages, Failed to identify radio when uploading firmware or failed to enter command mode when loading settings. LED is solid red whenever powered. Any idea on how you actually fixed it?

Try using Mission Planner to update the firmware. You’ll likely need to try it multiple times for it to work.

Actually it was the shorting of the pins that got it to work, thanks

1 Like

Moral of the story is, apparently, don’t use QGC?

Quietly in the background`

Sounds like a bad thing for any software to do. Same event over a year later…

Good deal. shorting the pins didn’t work for me since it was already stuck in boot loader mode. MP cleared the state somehow after a few retries.

I’ve never liked the “we know what’s good for you” camp, especially when upgrading firmware!

1 Like

hi, I have the same thing happening. I’ve done several different radios with no problem. I have 2 that will load settings but won’t seem to enter firmware update mode. I get different errors but it cant identify the board seems to be the problem. I can get the solid red led by using at&update but it still won’t load firmware. it doesn’t even get to the point to choose the firmware file which would be “radio~hm_trp.ihx” oh, these boards do not have CTS pins so I can’t enter bootloader mode by shorting it.
any ideas? can I update fw in terminal? if so does anyone know the command?
thanks

Hello everyone.
I am aware of the subject very old, however, I am having the same problem now and have not seen a solution anywhere.
I bought a set of 433mhz telemetry sets, I opened one of the telemetry with qgorundcontrol from my phone before plugging it into my computer. But later, I realized that the telemetry that I ran with qgorundcontrol did not light green light, only the red light was constantly blinking. When I try to load it, it says “failed to enter command mode”. I did the necessary uploads to other telemetry, no problem. After a while I switched the telemetry to bootloder mode and loaded the file “radio ~ hm_trp.ihx”, this time there was a steady green light and it continued to flash red. However, I still get a warning that “failed to enter command mode” and cannot do anything. The only thing I can do is be able to load into bootloader mode, but then I cannot load the “load settings”. Is there anyone who has a solution for this?

I got it to work by using MissionPlanner to update the firmware. I had to try multiple times, but it eventually cleared the error and loaded the firmware.

I tried too much, but I did not get any results and I still get the “failed to enter command mode” warning. I boot it up (red light is on steady) I load it (green light is steady, red sometimes flashes), but when I try “upload settings” I get an error. Do you think I should continue this way?

Hi,
I am also getting the same issue. tried uploading firmware with mission planner, but failed.
Also tried shorting CTS with Ground. but still have a solid red led and cant upload firmware/ can’t connect.
any update on how to fix this issue.?

Hello there
im facing the same problem after trying to update the telemetry firmware I got a solid red color in the remote telemetry (the one connected to the pixhawk)

And I can’t connect this one directly to the PC because it only comes with pixhawk wires and not a usb , and can’t use the pins shortening method as there are only gnd,vcc,tx,rx pins

So the only method available to me to access the solid red telemetry is after connecting it with the pixhawk

Any solution to this ? , known that the ground station telemetry seams working and it blinks green

1 Like

You can.
All you need is called “FDTI-adapter”.