3DR power module - incorrect current readings

Hello,

specs:
APM 2.6 + external compass & GPS
3DR power module
Mission Planner 1.2.95 build 1.1.5150.11972
Plane 2.78b

I’m having a strange issue with my current sensor, hoping someone can help. When the plane is sitting idle, it is reporting 88 amps; here’s a video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpkqOmvU07M[/youtube]

Voltage is correct and checked via multimeter. I figured maybe it’s just a bad power module; nope, second brand new power module tested, and to be sure took a third off a copter that I know works fine and all report this high current while the plane is idle on the bench. The values you see on the OSD reflect what is shown in APM under “battery monitor”. Here are my Params.

The only other odd behavior is that sometimes in mission planner it says “UNABLE TO SET BATT_CURR_PIN” or “BATT_VOLT_MULT” when I try to modify settings under “battery monitor” within mission planner

Any help would be greatly appreciated :blush:

This may or may not help, but something to check, from diydrones.com

Marco,

It sounds like the multipliers that are programmed for the power module are not correct.

and the settings your are recommending are not all correct either

BATT_VOLT_PIN,2

Battery Voltage sensing pin (BATT_VOLT_PIN)
Setting this to 0 ~ 13 will enable battery current sensing on pins A0 ~ A13. For the 3DR power brick on APM2.5 it should be set to 13. On the PX4 it should be set to 100. On the Pixhawk powered from the PM connector it should be set to 2.

BATT_CURR_PIN,-1

Battery Current sensing pin (BATT_CURR_PIN)
Setting this to 0 ~ 13 will enable battery current sensing on pins A0 ~ A13. For the 3DR power brick on APM2.5 it should be set to 12. On the PX4 it should be set to 101. On the Pixhawk powered from the PM connector it should be set to 3.

FS_BATT_VOLTAGE,14.1 <- for 4s
BATT_VOLT_MULT,7.67

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arduco … _VOLT_MULT

Voltage Multiplier (BATT_VOLT_MULT)
Note: This parameter is for advanced users

Used to convert the voltage of the voltage sensing pin (BATT_VOLT_PIN) to the actual battery’s voltage (pin_voltage * VOLT_MULT). For the 3DR Power brick on APM2 or Pixhawk, this should be set to 10.1. For the Pixhawk with the 3DR 4in1 ESC this should be 12.02. For the PX4 using the PX4IO power supply this should be set to 1.

[quote=“typhune”]This may or may not help, but something to check, from diydrones.com

Marco,

It sounds like the multipliers that are programmed for the power module are not correct.

and the settings your are recommending are not all correct either

BATT_VOLT_PIN,2

Battery Voltage sensing pin (BATT_VOLT_PIN)
Setting this to 0 ~ 13 will enable battery current sensing on pins A0 ~ A13. For the 3DR power brick on APM2.5 it should be set to 13. On the PX4 it should be set to 100. On the Pixhawk powered from the PM connector it should be set to 2.

BATT_CURR_PIN,-1

Battery Current sensing pin (BATT_CURR_PIN)
Setting this to 0 ~ 13 will enable battery current sensing on pins A0 ~ A13. For the 3DR power brick on APM2.5 it should be set to 12. On the PX4 it should be set to 101. On the Pixhawk powered from the PM connector it should be set to 3.

FS_BATT_VOLTAGE,14.1 <- for 4s
BATT_VOLT_MULT,7.67

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arduco … _VOLT_MULT

Voltage Multiplier (BATT_VOLT_MULT)
Note: This parameter is for advanced users

Used to convert the voltage of the voltage sensing pin (BATT_VOLT_PIN) to the actual battery’s voltage (pin_voltage * VOLT_MULT). For the 3DR Power brick on APM2 or Pixhawk, this should be set to 10.1. For the Pixhawk with the 3DR 4in1 ESC this should be 12.02. For the PX4 using the PX4IO power supply this should be set to 1.[/quote]

thank you typhune - but I’m not sure what the recommendation is here? set BATT_CURR_PIN to -1? it’s currently set to 12 as per the wiki…

Tried a new APM and works fine with the same power module… very weird, but sending this APM back.

I appreciate the help!