3 Axis Gimbal

Hi
I have just ordered an IRIS+ and now I wish to buy a 3 axis Gimbal. I ask if someone in this forum has already gone that way…

• Which gimbal do you use ?
  • How did you fixed it ? Do you have to make or buy a custom mount ?
  • Can it be connected to the IRIS+ ? Can you control at least, the pitch from the tx radio ?
  • Does the gimbal works well in “follow me” mode ?

thank you guys !
Ginosergio from Italy

I’m using the DYS 3 Axis gimbal with a GoPro Hero 4 Black on my Iris+. I love it.

The DYS is generally marketed for the GoPro Hero 3, but it works fine with my Hero 4.

I got mine from xproheli.com. It’s a bit more expensive than other places but they pre-configure and test it for you. They also add a mode button, which I NEVER use, but maybe it will come in handy one day. They also include the black rubber shock absorber balls from Tarot because they work better than the ones that come with the DYS.

It works with the standard 3DR Adapter plate (which you can also order from them, or from 3DR). Installation was easy. I did have to use the configuration software to adjust the tilt range of the camera, but that’s it. Also, I had un click and remove the plastic around the USB plug that goes into the GoPro for FPV because it didn’t quite fit. The plastic was jamming against the gimbal. I just replaced the plastic with electrical tape. I could have ordered a L shaped usb plug from xproheli, but I frgot to. I actually prefer my electrical tape solution because now I can actually remove the cable and the SIM card with out unscrewing my GoPro from the gimbal.

It works with the tilt wheel knob on the Iris+ TX right out of the box (I just had to adjust the tilt range with the DYS software - as I mentioned above). It also works with follow me and ROI waypoints. It is heavier than the Tarot 2D that 3DR sells, but I haven’t really noticed much reduction in fight time (I have NOT done a scientific flight time comparison).

I’m traveling now, but I could post some images and instructions next week if you are interested.

In addition to my previous post, you might find this thread helpful.

diydrones.com/group/iris/forum/t … %3A1445744

Hi Erik,
thank you for your kind answer. I was already looking at DYS 3 axis, seems a good choice with Alexmos, many happy users, many beautiful video on youtube. The only problem I see with this item is configuration, I see many post in various forums about that.

So, one simple question: all configurations and settings can be done via the software interface with my PC, or there is something more difficult ? If I can simply copy your config, this could be a good starting point.

How is it connected ? A simple usb cable ? Do I find all necessary things in the box ? I play to buy it here:
shop.epictv.com/en/drones/smart … rd-basecam

it is the same shop where i got the IRIS+

thank you for your help !
Ginosergio

I would be happy to share my configuration file, but I’m not sure if it would actually be a good starting point for you. Unless our firmware versions match, our configuration software versions match, and our hardware configuration matches, then I suspect that you would not get good results.

I did not want to be troubled with configuration and tuning, so I bought one that was already configured and tuned. Actually, it was reprogramed as well. As I mentioned above, I got mine from xproheli (xproheli.com/collections/camera- … pro-gimbal).

As it says on their site:

In addition, they included different vibration dampeners, which they claim (and I agree) are better than the ones that come with the DYS. (as I mentioned above, they recommend the black Tarot dampeners).

If you look at the pictures on that site closely, you can see the hardware is slightly re-configured (with standoffs, etc) that are different from the link you posted.

I noticed while I was writing this that the DYS is out of stock on their site, so you might have to do it all the hard way - install, configure and tune the DYS yourself. Unfortunately, I am not an expert in this since I have not had to figure any of that out myself - thats why I bought it from them. Someday, I will probably dive in and figure out the tuning software, but so far I have been happy with it as it is.

Yes.

I don’t know what comes in a standard DYS box, but the xproheli version had everything except the adapter plate (the same adapter plate that works for the Tarot 2D can be used with the DYS). Oh, and it did not have the FPV cable, but as I mentioned above, I was able to modify the one I already had.

[quote] I play to buy it here:
shop.epictv.com/en/drones/smart … rd-basecam[/quote]

If you do that, then I would also order the dampening balls like these (but not necessarily from this site, its just the first one that was listed on google): rangevideo.com/tarot-t-2d-ac … 68a11.html

Also, you will need to find an FPV cable (assuming you have an FPC set up) that works - or take apart and modify the USB connector on the FPV cable you already have. I will take a picture in the next couple of days to show you how I modified my cable.

I know this all sounds complicated, but its actually pretty straight forward. If you do end up getting the DYS, I will definitely try to help you as much as I can… but I am not an expert by any means.

I don’t have any actual experience YET, but here is an alternative, a little cheaper and 80 g lighter:
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor … etc.html

An IRIS adapter is available here:
impconcepts.com/impstore/ind … duct_id=86

Well, the links worked here (but not over on the DIYdrones thread).

Anyway, this Quantum 3D looks interesting, but based on this video, I would probably not go for it: youtube.com/watch?v=KoTTQFrYEHI

too many yaw snaps and jitters.

I don’t understand why one would want a 3 axis gimbal on an Iris+ or any quad that does not have retractable gear. The autonomous flight mode essentially gives you the third axis with Region Of Interest use, and the landing struts never get in the way.

Granted the rotation (yaw) can sometimes be a little quick and not very smooth, but I’d rather that then have to look at landing strut every few seconds in the video.

Thanks Erik,
The reason the links didn’t work is that I copied the message from here over there and didn’t notice that the links did not copy properly :blush: .

I see what you mean about the jitters.

I have also noted since posting that message that the QUANUM has the dampers in tension rather than compression. Not only is this not proper (or at least customary) use of dampers, but I would be concerned about losing the whole load if they came loose in flight. That probably, at least partially, explains the difference in weight.

I think I’ll keep looking for now. I am a newbie, not really ready for a gimbal yet anyway.

Hi STexan,

Actually, retractable legs for the IRIS are available from the same site as the Quanum adapter plate, listed in my first message here.

There are also other neat ideas there like a cut away battery door that make the battery connection much easier to manage.

[quote=“STexan”]I don’t understand why one would want a 3 axis gimbal on an Iris+ or any quad that does not have retractable gear. The autonomous flight mode essentially gives you the third axis with Region Of Interest use, and the landing struts never get in the way.

Granted the rotation (yaw) can sometimes be a little quick and not very smooth, but I’d rather that then have to look at landing strut every few seconds in the video.[/quote]

I guess it depends on what you are shooting and why. I’ve found that even at a virtual stand still hover, a 3 axis gimbal helps smooth out very tiny yaw jitters, i.e. slight movements in yaw back and forth left and right. This can also be removed in post using stabilization in video editing software like Final Cut or Adobe CC, but the less you have to correct in post, the better. You can eliminate a lot of these tiny yaw jitters by tuning and calibration of your Iris and your TX, but its difficult and you can never get it quite perfect.

It also helps make rotation more fluid when orbiting an ROI or when the Iris+ jerks slightly at each waypoint (which it does, even with spline waypoints). And it smoothes out yaw jerks or jitters when flying by hand - especially in extreme cold when you are flying with gloves and don’t have the fine control you have with your fingers on the sticks.

Of course, if you are flying aggressively, you will indeed see the landing gear, but that kind of flying is generally not appropriate for most video - unless your specifically going for that kind of thing. Even in those cases, you can shoot at a higher resolution (4k or 2k) and crop down to 1080P, eliminating the landing gear while getting the benefit of the smoother yaw.

And of course, you can always get retractable landing gear.

First,

thanks to all for the answers. I think that a 3 axis Gimbal is a great thing and so, exchange of experiences with IRIS owners is really useful.

STexan, a 3 axis Gimbal is not used to film your landing gear. Like Erik say, with a simple 2 axis you often have small yaW movementS caused by wind, I guess. I used a Walkera X350 Pro with its Gimbal for months, and I do not have a single video without small yaw movement. To understand what I mean, look at this great example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwIGXOj9Soc

Erik, I will buy the DYS from EpicTV. It’s easy for me (in Italy), free of shipping charges and a good price. Then I think I will not have problems to find the same firmware and software version you are using, if you will help me, or I will try with some youtube video.

I will also buy the Tarot black dampeners. Good to hear that the Tarot mounting plate will work with DYS, I already had good suspect on this fact, as they seem to have the same outer holes. I cannot find any “easy way” to buy these plate from Italy, but I have found a good internet site full of project files for 3D printers. Great, there is a file for IRIS+ and DYS gimbal plate adapter !!!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:367015

And now I have found a shop that can print it for about 15 US$, and it is 20 meters from my child’s school !!

Will try it for sure.

I will let you know and post some pics.

cheers
Ginosergio

If they could tweak a 3 axis to work on a Quad, like the handheld gopro gimbals such as
http://www.amazon.com/Feiyu-FEGMG3-3-Axis-Handheld-Gimbal/dp/B00SUWMIQY
that would certainly be sweet. There is one mode that helps to “buffer” rotations that would certainly helpful for video But I wonder if that extra weight is going to be problematic.

[quote=“STexan”]If they could tweak a 3 axis to work on a Quad, like the handheld gopro gimbals such as
http://www.amazon.com/Feiyu-FEGMG3-3-Axis-Handheld-Gimbal/dp/B00SUWMIQY
that would certainly be sweet. There is one mode that helps to “buffer” rotations that would certainly helpful for video But I wonder if that extra weight is going to be problematic.[/quote]

Actually that Feiyu G3 you linked to comes in a version you can use on quads, but a friend recommended the DYS so I went with that. They both have that follow mode that buffers yaw. You are 1000% right about the weight issue, but I’ve flown for 11+ minutes a couple times in very cold temps (between 0 and 10 degrees Fahrenheit, so I think it will be ok, especially in spring summer.

@ ginosergio: I will be happy to help as much as I can. I don’t want to post my email in a public forum, but I think there must be a way on these forums to send you a private message. I’m new to these forums, but if I can figure that out ill send you a private message with my email and you can contact me that way once you get your DYS.

Here are links to 3 images.

Hope this helps you install.

Front View: screencast.com/t/pxSSqPmCqH
Back View: screencast.com/t/7PnKfx9kEO5z
Close up of pins: screencast.com/t/9aIBYPxHn0YV

These images will eventually get removed from the site where they are hosted. If someone has the time and wants to “do a good deed” it would be great if they could properly upload these images to this thread and embed them in a post.

Well, I finally got around to uploading these images.
I had to scale them down to under 1024x768 and in the process I ended up changing a couple of the labels.
Hope this helps:
[attachment=1]DYS 3 Axis - Front View.png[/attachment]
[attachment=2]DYS 3 Axis - Back View.png[/attachment]
[attachment=0]DYS 3 Axis - Pins close-up.png[/attachment]

As long as I’m at this screenshot business, I should also mention that I’ve uploaded screenshots of the configuration software over on DIYdrones.com.

Scroll to bottom of page 3 of this thread:
diydrones.com/group/iris/forum/t … %3A1445744

(I would upload the images here, but these forums are giving me too much trouble about images over a certain resolution. The link above should work fine.)

Just remember, I did not configure this myself. The gimbal came this way, pre-programmed and pre-configured by xproheli.com. The only thing I have ever touched is the Pitch Min and Max angle on the RC Settings Tab. I’m new to this. It has always performed well, so I dare not make any other changes.

Hi Erik, Thank you for your help.

I have setup my Gimbal with 2.30b5 firmware as it seems that is better than 2.40b7, when flying with quadcopters. I have made calibration following some tutorial on youtube. It seems to work fine, just some questions if you can help:

when the IRIS makes small yaw movements (for wind or something else) the Gimbal corrects perfectly. When I really yaw a lot, because I want to turn and look elsewhere, the Gimbal makes a small correction at the start of the yaw turning, then follow the frame, but the correction “remains”, so at the end of the yaw, the camera do not point straight ahead as it was before the jaw, and so I see a leg of the IRIS. Ouch.

Can I correct this with some parameter ???

thank you !
Ginosergio

PS: Will post a video soon…

Here is my video:

youtu.be/yyOVk53wUFM

I must say that the recompression made by youtube has rendered it so jumpy. It was really much more smooth at 60fps.
Regarding the Gimbal, I think that it make a good work, except at the end, before landing, when I shake the frame really hard, you can see that the Gimbal correction is not perfect, the horizon moves a little.

What can I do to correct this ??

thank you
Ginosergio