Ardurover parts

Where are you living? What is your budget? And what kind of car you want, crawler or more street, 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive?

Im living in Italy, as first trial my budget its around 400.00 euro, i donā€™t need main controllerā€¦ pdbā€¦ cablesā€¦ gps coz Iā€™ve many hardware.
Basically i need a good good frame with wheels and pwm motor controller

Ok, as you are also on the european market it might be easy to buy also in Germany if it is not directly available in Italy.
But I think you also will find somethink in Italy.
For just this start I recommend a RTR (Ready to Run) Buggy from Carson. These come with all electronic including RC sytem. But this you can throw if probably ou have a better one.
I give you as examplea link to one german supplier. This shop also delivers to Italy for about ā‚¬ 17.
https://www.modellbau-metz.com/modellbau/elektroautos-und-zubehoer/rtr-_arr-modelle/1?Eigenschaften=Allradantrieb&Bauart=Elektro&Hersteller=Carson

your probably better at looking at something like a crawler for a rover. faster cars will be very difficult to tune and the fast speed making braking it far more lightly.

1 Like

Iā€™ve many hardware around me like my Gpsā€¦ pdbā€¦ cablesā€¦ standsā€¦ etc.
What will be the difference between your link and the crawlers suggested by @geofrancis

The crawler are truely also a good choice. The buggy is more for streets and light terrain while the crawler is more for heavy terrain. Main difference is te gearbox which let the wheels on the crawler turns slower but with more torque.
So you also can search for RC-crawler but also RTR-kit.

I can attest to the fact @geofrancis mentioned about high speed. My 1st Rover was a 2wd basher type truck and I crashed that thing into all kinds of objects. Keep in mind GPS position at the ground level isnā€™t great. I spent quite a bit slowing that vehicle down with a new sensored motor and ESC and gearing changes but sold it in the end and built the Crawler.

on a local reseller store in Italy i saw also this optionā€¦ i think they are good but i donā€™t have experience.
The idea itā€™s to use the rover in a mixed areaā€¦ like grassā€¦ Streetā€¦ etcā€¦ nothing so extreme

A car wonā€™t run on grass. Even a Crawler in tall grass can loose traction. And I would not suggest anything smaller than a 1:10 scale, you need package space for the components.

1 Like

grass its not a big problem coz will not be use in a rural areaā€¦ the size 1:10 seems a good optionā€¦ a scale a little more big for fit all the components itā€™s a good idea

You really need to try and narrow down a direction for your project. Your short, vague answers make it impossible to give good recommendations.

So far, we know that you want to build a small RC-car sized, medium sized, fast, yet slow, but still fast, all terrain, street, rock, grass Rover that uses a subset of ā€œlots of parts on hand.ā€

The only possible answer is, ā€œbuild a vehicle.ā€

We canā€™t give you motor controller recommendations until we know what motors youā€™re using. We canā€™t give motor recommendations until you actually give a reasonable use case.

Please understand we are all trying to help, but you just havenā€™t given enough information in return to make recommendations that are worthwhile.

EDIT: As I was typing this you did provide a short, but specific answer that helps. I think one of the existing RC platforms mentioned above may suit you, and it will avoid having to source drive components separately.

3 Likes

so, my idea itā€™s to build something that i use around my areas that it not fully rural.
I need build something robust for the environment usually im going also to fly.
It can be powerfull coz im not looking for super high speedā€¦ but can provide a good response

If i go to your dealer link above, select ā€œScaler / Crawlerā€ klick on ā€œScala 1/10ā€ this one might be a possible starting point: https://shop.jonathan.it/it/element-rc-by-team-associated-enduro-trail-truck-sendero-hd-rtr-automodello-elettrico-scaler

I will value coz many are using brushed motorsā€¦ if i remember well brushless motors are more performantā€¦durableā€¦ etc.

Youā€™re not going to do enough miles for that to matter.itā€™s a low speed crawler, just keep it out of water and sand and it will last forever.

Many of these Crawlers with Brushed Motors will run underwater. Mine reportedly would have before the Rover build.

As I understand, you want just a easy start in the ardupilot rover world with a limited budget.
Brushless motors and motor controller mostly more expencive than the traditional brushed motors used for decades of years with RC-cars.
All these motors are moreless standard size so if you want you can later on change it with a compareable brushles type.
As @geofrancis said also, all my old RS-540 Motors from the late seventies still work without problems.

Low cost rovers are possible. I agree that RC crawler chassis are are good starting point due to the space and speed out of the box. ( and price) or 1:10 or bigger tracked vehicles.

As mentioned ground GPS is not as accurate as in the air and is more susceptible to multipath accuracy issues. This can lead to unexpected terrain or surface height changes (Think of a large curb or step). Thus this is the need for lager chassis like Clearpath Husky or Dr. Robot Jaguar.

For a starting point the RC chassis great, but you must understand its working capabilities.

Thank you so muchā€¦ Iā€™ve limit the budget coz as first development i donā€™t want invest too much for a model that after this i must remove for add other componentsā€¦, thatā€™s why im pointing for a kit compatible as much as as possible (like the motors and esc controller)ā€¦ the main use its for hobbyist outside a rural area

I think you have all the info you need.