Ardurover parts

Good day, I would like build a medium size rover
i need suggestions about what frame and motor controller can be mount for hobbyist purpose

That’s not nearly enough information to provide recommendations. Be more specific about your intent, use case, and intended size. “Medium” is extremely vague :smiley:

Im not an expert about sizes… coz ive developed only drones for many years… i would like build something like in the link attached
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=a61c310cce8522af&sca_upv=1&sxsrf=ACQVn0-665KZkHCO9p6DaTnzbbaXqV42rg:1710559674472&q=ardurover&uds=AMwkrPsuqc0wiRzbZWETEcL_Y_fCs4CyOzNzezT4fRje0KADN9hyEEzOeziEd38uBfIDLUjcTkQ0MPikhaCYMQjXt2aUbJjEHolRRbaJLHatupjJMy5bUIMx1lkckipmgzSXM_mjw8ukDqQlAXSNJxH0BVPlSVeDtaYdGa8UFr_UpPLHf9rp8KsGJihDP2adaH_qEmvp32MRQ-O0HWJV5UEouAB-YNir3IgtqnrDqCZr4duY5XTSuVQ&udm=2&prmd=ivnbz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK642u6_eEAxWVgP0HHR1VAB4QtKgLegQIERAB#vhid=Wapj5fsLMfrxvM&vssid=mosaic

I guess you read this in that link?

My rover is a standard 1/10th scale RC chassis with a brushed motor and a big-ass foam bumper on the front (trust me, you’ll need a bumper). It honestly doesn’t matter which one you use;

Hello, i saw many long and probably I’ve lost your link. What’s your advice about the same reference size of your frame?
I need find a proper motor board controller easy to config… motors etc.
Maybe exist a frame with motors and wheels that i can rewok

As @dkemxr said starting point for you can any normal RC-car chassis. At a normal RC-hobby shop you will find anything like complete chassis including motor and motor controller.

If you have access to a 3D printer you can also print a chassis, like seen here: I printed an RC car… How fast can it go?

I like RC Crawlers for a Rover conversion unless you want s tracked vehicle. They are durable, good at slow speed and generally have a lot of space for components. In the other thread you posted in there are some details of one of mine.

For more info on that vehicle search “redcat” here on the forum. I have built them from 2wd basher type trucks too but not a good platform unless you need speed for some reason.

okay, which board as motor controller do you suggest?
The idea it’s build something fast… not too slow but not at the same time too slow…

I think that not all board motor controller are compatible with ardurover

I use brushed ESC’s for RC trucks. Hobbywing makes good ones by my experience.

okay i will take a look on hobbywing…which is your advice about it? on your experience it’s possible with this kind of esc command the Rover not only forward but also backwards?

Yes, that’s what they are designed to do. Here is an example of a similar one I have used:
ESC

All standard motor contoller that can used with a standard RC receiver can also be used with ardupilot. These are controled by the standard PWM signals.
More sophisticated modern motor controller can also controlled by newer BDshot protocol, wich is also used by ardupilot. But these conrroller also can use only PWM.
So again, any normal RCcar could be a simple starting point.

Just one caveat here. To use an ESC for a Rover it has to be capable of bi-directional (Fwd/Rev) configuration. The ESC’'s made for RC Cars and Trucks like the one I linked to come that way by default with some other options available. For other ESC’s this can be done in firmware with a configuration app. Some don’t have the capability at all.

Yes, Dave, this remark is absolutely correct.
But if Dave84 just buyes a RC car kit including motor and controller the controller is a bidirectional version and can’t go wrong.

1 Like

I don’t want invest too much as i don’t have enough confidence with rovers… but i think that step by step i can improve it… making it better.
I will opt for now for an hobbywing esc

do you mind give me pls an example pls?

The best brushed esc for rover I have found is the Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060. you just set the jumper for forward/reverse.

1 Like

I have had this one for ~5yrs and other than replacing the Spur gear several times, which is essentially a sacrificial part and cheap, it’s still going strong.

Redcat Everest

Sorry, don’t know why all the duplicate posts.

1 Like