Which made the mini heli crash

@rmackay9

Here’s a question by the way:

3.4.x version of the helicopter firmware, the current look is to support the built-in GOV function, or support the monitoring function of rpm. But I can not find a detailed description of the settings. For example, the ESC plug into the rpm signal which interface Pixhawk, and then how to set up parameters?

Please disclose some of the relevant information!

Thk Randy !

zhangsir

Randy-san,

Thank you for the heads up on the release process. I see the patch is in master now.

Hi, when the mini heli was flying in the GUIDED mode, first flied forward, then made 90-degree turn, gyrx was almost 1500, was this normal?

Hi zhangsir,

I don’t think the governor function has been fully incorporated to the code yet.

I understand @Rob_Lefebvre is working on it in his tree, so maybe he can take a look and correct me, but deciphering from his source repo, here are a glimpse of what the parameters might look like when the Governor function gets released (please note that the following may be completely different from the release version, so take it with a big grain of salt).

RSC_MODE = 4 # set RSC mode to use internal governor
RSC_GOV_RPM # specify target RPM between 500 - 4000 in increments of 10
CHx_OPT = 34 # assign a RC channel to act as governor switch

There are mentions of these params, but was not implemented yet, at least in the published code.

H_RSC_GOV_P
H_RSC_GOV_I
H_RSC_GOV_IMAX
H_RSC_GOV_D

Apparently, it uses AP_RPM library to get the rpm data, so I’m assuming you’d connect the PWM based RPM sensor to AUX input on Pixhawk and set it up like this:

RPM_TYPE = 1
RPM_MAX
RPM_MIN
RPM_MIN_QUAL = 0.5
RPM_SCALING = 1.0

This parameter might be added to RPM library.

RPM_FILT_ALPHA # between 0 and 1. Defaults to 0.1

Hi @Goro_Senzai

Many thanks!

Are you looking at the latest firmware version AC3.4.3Heli?

I see @tridge flying on his oil-powered GX9, using an external governor?

I am looking forward to the built-in governor can be achieved, whether for the electric helicopter ESC or oil engine helicopter, are very useful!

Thank you again!

zhangsir

Hi zhangsir,

I’m flying both 3.3.3 and 3.4.3 heli firmware with external governors. We’ve used the governor function on ESC’s, as well as various external governor units with rpm sensors and they work great both on electric and gas.

The flight and vibration characteristics change drastically with rotor speed, so it’s easier to tune the heli with governor keeping it steady.

Yes, I also use the ESC itself governors, but still hope Pixhawk GOV can be achieved internally, as well as real-time monitoring of the rpm display function!

No, he’s referring to my branch with my governor code here:

This is based on 3.3.3, I’m not sure when I will get around to porting it to 3.4 and doing a PR. It’s not in my critical path at the moment as I’m currently building electric helicopters with ESC governor.

1 Like