uBlox GPS touching Pixhawk: More test results

Great to see this getting worked out, it worried me the first week I got the Iris.

I put a thin layer of non sticky blu tackish material to see the imprint and its definitely pushing on it with some force. I’m going to dremel off 2mm on the GPS mounts, I think theres enough space so the GPS module still won’t touch the top cover. See if that gives me enough clearance without having to change the foam or turn the GPS.

@Robot:

Dremeling off a bit of the GPS mounts was definitely an option I was looking at, as there is space between the hull and the GPS glass antenna. I don’t have the tools though.
You could put some playdoh between GPS and hull to determine how much space you have left. I’m not sure it is really 2mm.
Also you will most likely need to use shorter screws. If you do so, I would recommend that you go for plastic screws right away.

Also turning the GPS module my 90 is really no big deal. The accelerometer and compass calibration are really quickly done afterwards.

Keep us posted how things work out for you!

From what I can determine theres a 2.5mm gap at the closest point from the GPS glass to the hull, so tight but doable maybe just… hmmm

I opened mine up and also see the crimped wires. I agree it looks like rotating the uBlox would move the plugs away from the Pixhawk plugs, and not have them rub on one another. Calibration is likely needed, as was stated earlier. I’ll keep an eye on this and probably do that at some point. Thinner gel would also help, anyone have a part number? Thanks!

Craig with 3DR said to contact 3drobotics help@3drobotics.com via email and to request the thinner foam…shouldn’t need a part number.

Hi, here are some photos of my solution to the GPS Module pressing on the pixhawk FC. I removed the foam blocks and replaced them with a thin with double sided foam strip. Then I added velcro strips to the top of the white foam and the pixhawk then just pressed it together.

The good thing about this is if you don’t get it in exactly the right spot you just lift it foo and move it a bit.

From what I understand velcro is an excellent vibration dampener. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet because it been luring with rain here.

One thing, if anyone can tell me how you get those wave forms to show the vibrations that would be great. I can find them in Mission planner.

Christian aka kangajump. This is a support forum where users can ask questions and get answers. We are purposely going out of our way to not have the discussion forums that exist on DIYDrones.

You have not posted a question and you are posting considerable misinformation. We do not recommend using gel under the Pixhawk and anybody else who attempts to do the same should expect to see a degradation in the performance of the vehicle.

Our moderators have asked you privately to stop and even publicly not so politely so stop posting discussions in a support forum.

If you choose to modify your vehicle that is a Do it your self topic and should be taking place on DIYDrones.

Thank you.

I’m locking this topic.