The copter does not takeoff in Guided mode and EKF_GPS_TYPE = 3 (optical flow)

@ppoirier,

We probably want to make sure that the EKF is not using the optical flow sensor… I’m actually a little unsure if it will try to use the optical flow sensor if EK2_GPS_TYPE = 0 (“GPS 3D Vel and 2D Pos”) which is the default.

I suspect you’re right, I’m just not completely sure.

@anish, it’s key that the vehicle appear on the Ground Stations map. If it’s not appearing there then the EKF is not completing it’s initialisation and calculating a position estimate. Normally this is because it’s missing some piece of data or the data it’s getting is not consistent.

By the way, we strongly recommend upgrading to Copter-3.6.12 (or better yet 4.0.0) to avoid the possibility of “I2C storms” causing a lockup of the flight controller. The upgrade from Copter-3.6.9 should be relatively painless.

EDIT: it’s very helpful to provide an onboard load (aka dataflash log) because it helps us see what is really going on with the autopilot. I’d recommend setting LOG_DISARMED = 1 then do the test and then post a log (or provide a link) here.

Thanks for using AP!

1 Like

When you set EKF origin, you should see the vehicle appearing on the map and if you perform full zoom, you should see the vehicle moving if you ‘’ Walk the quad’’

Question: Do you have a functioning rangefinder connected to the Flight Controller ?

1 Like

I have a tera one range finder and I’m presently waiting for the i2c adapter to be delivered to connect it to the autopilot.
Is it influencing the initial position lock ?

So it is NOT presently connected ?
If its the case , OpticalFlow cannot start

I will update it and post the log files after redoing the test.

I am actually planning to do an autonomous navigation with RPi as companion computer and MAVROS. After that i am working to apply deep learning to give input to this autonomous navigation set up.

Thank you for your response and support !

Okay, i assumed that will be the case when EKF is enabled, I read that in wiki too. But didnt know that it will influence the EKF disabled condition too. I will get it connected as soon as I get the i2c adapter.

But as for the initial position lock does range finder have any influence?
I understood this vehicle appearing part I saw some videos too but don’t get why I am not getting it to work. I will try posting log files after the next test.

With no rangefinder the standard OF do not start, look at the beginning of the wiki

Yes.
and I guess for position lock without gps OF start is necessary.
Then I will get all my hardware set up right, update the Mission Planner and then redo the test. will get back here after the test with the results.
Thank you so much!

Hai guys,

I have a technical question.

How exactly is the system getting an initial position lock without GPS. I mean I have no gps device at all with me all I have is an Optical flow and a Rangefinder. I know Optical flow can help in calculating the position change by checking motion of images in its camera filed of view when the vehichle is moving. but then we need an initial position lock right? how do we actually get that!
Sorry if I sound stupid but it will be great if some one can help me understand how this non-gps setup works conceptually!

Thanks and regards

Hai,

Do you have firmware for TeraOne rangefinder to work in I2C mode?

My sensor is not of the latest production batch and is having a serial number ‘15031018’. Which is configured to work in serial and it needs a firmware update to work in I2C mode.

I tried to contact terabee, they gave one response asking for some details of the sensor and said they will revert but unfortunately no response after that!

I’m really stuck!

Hi sir, iam a student. Iam very interest with the topic. Can i look the full code to control the copter with only optical flow and range finder, without GPS? :grinning:
I am also making a project like this, but I am very confused by this, because I am a begginer.
guidance please

Hi, I set the home origin and can see the vehicle icon appearing on mission planner and see its trajectory as I move it around.
However, I’m unable to arm the vehicle using optic flow in loiter or guided mode. It keeps saying Pre-arm High GPS HDOP.
Do you have any suggestion to solve this issue?

You have GPS enabled ?
Anyway, I guess you can disable prearms checks
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-prearm-safety-checks.html#gps-related-failures

Thank you for your reply.

Yes. I have GPS disabled and remove the prearm checks that involve GPS.
Before I click “set EKF origin” in Mission Planner, I can arm and takeoff in the Loiter mode, but I cannot switch to Guided mode or Auto mode. It says that the position is required.
After I click “set EKF origin” in Mission Planner, I can’t even arm in the Loiter mode. There’s an error saying “EKF variance” and the vehicle goes into the failsafe and land mode.

Are you using latest stable copter and EKF3 ?

yes. I use 4.0.7 and I tried both EKF2 and EKF3.