SOLVED - Newbie looking to un-brick a pair of 3DR 915MHz radios - assistance wanted

I mean, updates are good, so I’'d go to 2.x for both, but I do believe the air one is on 1.7. Is there a way to check?

They need to be on the same. For now if you think the air unit is on 1.7 then maybe move the ground unit back to 1.7 to get them connected.

Alright, I’m in on the ground unit. Where do I get the firmware package(s) to put on it? I’m just gonna walk back down the versions until I get a link.

From the wiki

• Connect one of the radios to your computer using the micro USB cable.
  • Power the radio attached to the vehicle by plugging in the vehicle’s battery.
  • Open the Mission Planner and go to the Initial Setup | Optional Hardware | SiK Radio page.
  • Select the correct COM port and set the baud rate to 57600. Ensure the “Connect” button is in a disconnected state as shown in the image below…
  • Press the Load Settings button and both the Local and Remote areas should fill in with values including the firmware Version

I have that down, but now I need a file to upload to the ground unit. Where do I find that? Is there a GitHub to download it from?

Arduino or use this configurator.

https://firmware.ardupilot.org/SiK/

3drradioconfig.zip (532.5 KB)

I’ve got that tool going, but it doesn’t seem to let me pick the version either. Is there a file somewhere for the prior versions? I’m looking at firmware.ardupilot.org/SiK and not seeing it.

All I have is V1.9 I don’t know where you find 1.7.
radio.zip (64.9 KB)

Why don’t you flash both radios to V2.0?

I will, but they have to talk to each other first, because there’s no USB on my air unit.

That’s what the FTDI adapter is for.

Oh. Can I also get them talking by downgrading the ground radio and then do it without FTDI? I’d have to make my own adapter from an Arduino, which will take a while.

Yes, you can do that.

You don’t need an Arduino. Connect the FTDI adapter to the PC running the 3dr configurator.

Here’s the thing: I don’t have an FTDI adapter. That’s what I’d make in software on the Arduino.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.

No problem! I probably wasn’t clear when I said it originally. 1.9 is verifying on the ground radio now, then we’ll see if it works to talk to the air unit.

BTW-V1.7 and V1.9 are compatible. But neither with V2.0

1 Like

Yay! So it’ll work basically no matter what version my ground radio is running, because I know it’s not 2.0 (that didn’t work before). Perfect!

Still verifying on that 1.9 install. How long does it normally take?

YES! I have contact to my air radio running V1.9. Perfect! Thank you so much!

1 Like

If I now want to take them both to 2.0, what do I do? Just tell MP to update them, and it’ll do it properly?