RFD900X PPM Pass through test

I just measured PPM voltage of my new FrSky Horus X10S.
It’s at 7.2V. It’s right about battery voltage.

Err could that not fry a lot of equipment! Surely PPM is not normally that high.

@PittRBM Pitt Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like a resistor is required if using this connection before connecting to a RFD900x.

1 Like

I must check mine. I have been using my Taranis with 5v tolerant Arduino without issue. I am sure 7v would blow an Arduino…

To me, this makes no sense to have a computer and the remote used at the same time. Why not just patch the PPM into to laptop/computer too giving telemetry and 14+16=30 controls. Programming the F function keys on a command can be routed to joystick buttons. If I used a remote, I would use a seperate monitor. I just don’t see the logic…

I had some troubles configuring my RFD900x but found this useful and thought I’d share:
Microsoft Word - RFD900x Peer-to-peer User Manual.docx (rfdesign.com.au)

Basically to enable PPM you need to enable parameters S16 and S17 on the gcs and vehicle respectively. One can enable those parameters with the AT commands in the document above (ex. ATS16=1.

Thanks ian and team
I just got my FrSky D4r-ii in PPM mode connected to my RFD900x
I noticed that ATS16=1 and ATS17=1 correspond to the checkboxes on the RFD900 tools app downloaded for windows from RFDesign. This saved me from rewiring both ends - the tool allows remote setting.
I need to stress test it and sort out all the fail combinations
observations
power off the taranis end RFD900 - pixhawk radio controls change within 1 second - back on the same
power off the taranis - no impact on pixhawk radio settings - i guess thats the ppm failsafe recorder i have some work todo - thanks RFDesign team - this is really useful
note - looks like around half a second of latency - fine for my boat, but not a copter . Ive done no tuning
Wiring - i have 1 wire going from port 1 signal (the corner one) on the D4r2-ii to bottom RC input pin on pixhawk. Will power the RFD’s separately to save pulling down the pixhawk at 1w power… Chz

1 Like