Radio failsafe with CRSF (continuation of discussion from 4.1)

@Vince_Hogg where are you based? I have an old tech nano RX I could send you to try and see if it makes any difference for you.

@juvinski @Vince_Hogg do you have yapuu telemetry on or off in these situations? (RC_OPTIONS 256)

Iā€™m near Bawtry/Retford

Ok DM me your address and I will send you the unit

@Vince_Hogg @juvinski when the loss of bind happens what is the procedure you have to go through to recover? Can you describe what you observe and the exact steps to get to powered on and bound.

Yes I have passthrough telemetry set. I see I also had FPort Pad set. (264) probably from when I had the Frsky TDMX RX.

First observation is a mode change to RTL. I will then check the CRSF unit and see a yellow led light (should be green).
After the copter lands at my well worn rally point I will see the RX has a solid red light
Power cycling both wont change anything.
I need to put the TX into bind mode and power up the RX with the button pressed. It flashes green. I then need to press the button again for about 8 seconds. The flashing will change and then it will flash red/green for about 5 seconds. Its then bound again.

So normal binding procedure (press button within 30 seconds after powering up to put in bind mode) does not re-bind the RX? Because what you describe seems to be the process of ā€œGolden Firmwareā€ recovery (an older FW version stored on the RX itself). I had to use that too sometimes in the past when an RX just wouldnā€™t bind. Afterwards, the TX is should then be updating the RX to its current version (again) - but in your case thatā€™s not happening/necessary?

I think you are right, its a firmware reload, which fits my theory that the cause of the bind loss is corruption of the onboard firmware. The only difference is that the TX does not report firmware update, unlike when its an true FW update.

Hi @andyp1per ,

Yes, I have yapuu script enabled and running.

Is the complete reset actually necessary? as in, could you just power down and up and then push the bind button once to put it back into boot mode?

Im quite sure that the sequence described above is the only way to recover. Simply pressing the button while already powered, with red light on, will not get a bind.
BTW, now had many flights with encryption on without any problems, however its not a solution as a rebind is requited with every model.

Vince, can you verify what happens? If you power cycle and press the button does it stay solid red or go into binding mode but never binds?

In my case the only way is rebind - putting the transmitter in bind mode and press the button on receiver and powering it on

Hope this vid explains it. 2nd attempt I dont think I kept button in long enough.

BTW, Your RX is in and tested. It sat on the bench while link rate cycled frequently 150/50 (induced by trying to set the rate to 50). There was no loss of bind over a 2 hour period and about 100 cycles 150/50. I would almost certainly have had a failure with the other RX.
Also, I did an auto mission with the copter crossing the range that would induce a link rate drop about 30 times over 40 minutes. There was no failure.
Im quite confident the the nano marked 45 does not have this issue.

Vince, a single short press of the button should put it into bind mode. Holding the button while power cycling it forces it to reload the golden firmware. Instead can you please power cycle and then short press the button within 60s of power up and see if it goes into bind mode.

@juvinski do you have the micro TX or the full-size TX like @Vince_Hogg ?

@andyp1per Yes it will go into bind mode like that. I must have got into the habit of doing as in the vid. It then lost bind almost immediately on the bench.

I did have a nono TX module which did the same but it bricked during one of the firmware changes, now never finishes update. Large TX is a replacement.

Hi @andyp1per

Micro TX on a RadioMaster TX16S.

Cant believe I missed this from 2 years ago.