QuadPlane Pitches Up using v3.8.0 beta 5

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try the parameter reset feature.

I got some work done on my Ranger EX upgrade to v3.8.0. As a test, I first just loaded the firmware and saw that without doing the Parameter Reset, I still had the anomaly of quad rotors turning in Manual mode. I then did a full parameter reset from the Mission Planner v1.3.49 button on the Full Parameter List and started recallibrating accs, compass, etc.

I used the Migration from Plane 3.7 to 3.8 page for setup help and did things similar to my other mini Talon QuadPlane project like on-board compass calibration.

I got the Ranger to Arm in Manual mode (love the new arm/disarm with rudder feature) and now only the forward flight motor is used with throttle. In QStabilize mode, the quad rotors were shaky so they did not like the PID settings. I thought I changed them all to my v3.6.0 setup but I may have missed some. I’ll re-check the PIDs and get it hovering properly next. I attached my current .param file below.

RangerEXwithV380QP.param (16.0 KB)

can you post a DF log showing that effect?
My first guess is that ESC calibration isn’t quite the same between motors, but that doesn’t explain why the RPM goes up with throttle. Puzzling!

please get a log of the above effect first.
Also, a simpler way to reset parameters if you want to is to set FORMAT_VERSION to 0 then reboot.

hmm, one more idea that could explain it. If you have some poor ground connections to the ESCs then it could be ground lift when the forward motor runs causing the ESCs to see bad values. I’d normally use something like a Saleae logic pro with an analog capture to analyse that sort of problem.
First step is a log though, to see if its commanded. I suspect we’ll find it isn’t commanded, and its a electrical issue (eg. ground lift)

Tridge,

Thanks for the FORMAT_VERSION suggestion. The “Reset to Default Params” in Mission Planner v1.3.49 seemed to work as well. On my initial hover test using v3.8.0, I was too hasty and didn’t let it get off the ground. A re-test today proved that I am hovering just fine so I am ready to test forward flight next weekend.

The odd hover motor issue appeared after switching from v.3.6.0 to v3.8.0 and back to v3.6.0 without clearing parameters. I don’t see the issue anymore using v3.8.0 after clearing the parameters to default. I can retrieve the log when I get my next test completed on our Labor Day weekend.

RangerEX_QuadPlaneHframeV380ClearParams2.param (16.0 KB)

Hello Greg,

I finally convinced myself to fly since the temperatures went down to the mid 80s but humidity was way up there. This flight shows somewhat the same twisting you showed in Post #33 albeit without the wild pitch up but rather a pitch down as it was still stalled as the quad motors ramped down. I’m definitely going to add the guy wires as you did on yours but at different attach points. I know I’m running PX4 but I’m hoping the experiences encountered will help point you to the right direction on getting yours squared away. Good luck.

Hi rollys,

Thanks for the video, I felt like I was sitting on top of my Ranger! :slight_smile:

Your twisting didn’t look too bad and it flew fine. Mine has seen several upgrades since I last posted on RCG. I have installed newer v3.8.0 firmware with a complete parameter reset since I had very odd results in MANUAL mode after going to v.3.8 and back to v3.6 without a parameter reset. It seems fine now and ready to retest once I upgrade my forward flight motor.

Read my Ranger thread here in the Plane v3.8.0 forum for motor upgrade details. My last testing with a normal wing set showed that I was using 70% throttle with the stock setup on 4s. I will install my new motor and ESC before testing transitions.

What is your throttle set at when cruising around in forward flight? Are you still using a 4s Lipo with the stock motor/ESC ?

Cheers!

I’m using the stock Volantex 3715 - 1000kV motor that came with the ARF turning an APC 1055MR prop. In April, when the temp was about 85 deg F and humidity about 75% in Stabilize mode, 62% throttle yielded 38 mph, which is my target cruise speed. In any other flight mode, throttle is controlled by FC so during turns, I would see it push up to 70% to maintain airspeed and altitude and back to between 60%-65%.

In this recent flight, I pointed out in the YouTube Description, it was very humid, probably in the low to mid 90s percent. In Altitude and Position flight mode, I saw the throttle being pushed as much as 85%, especially during turns, to maintain 38 mph airspeed.

Cruise throttle is not set by percentage but rather by TRIM airspeed; which I have set for 38 mph. So, as long as I’m not in Stabilize mode, I leave my Tx throttle at 50% and the FC will adjust it on the ESC to whatever it needs to maintain the TRIM or cruise airspeed.

Yes, I’m still using 4S 10000 mAh pack.I’ll be interested to follow your motor upgrade. For now, I’m going to stick with my current setup. I haven’t even attempted to push it close to its duration limit… my bladder gives up first! LOL.

I don’t understand much about bladders… :hushed: :hushed:

I’m not asking you for details of yours either… :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

how much time are you taking from him? Remaining battery? You block the engines, right?