Plane 4.5.0-beta release

Hi there, two flights in FBWA/Auto with a fixed-wing after upgrading from 4.4 to 4.5b2 on a CubeOrange → all good, seamless.

… a bit off-topic, but maybe someone can guide me to a more suitable category/existing discussion: log download via USB using MP (either per “Dataflash Logs” or MAVftp) is unbelievable slowish and speed drops with the percentage achieved (even to below 10 kb/s at 75% of the file). When using QGC, I achieved around 300kbps - any recommendations (besides a TF extension)?

you should be getting at least 500 kbytes/s on a CubeOrange in a normal setup with the “dataflash logs” download. Post your param file and I can try to reproduce

Great to hear - here it is: Problems occurred with a filesz above 60MB, connected via BaseBoard USB connector (jst-gh 6p, “standard” cable).
CubeOrange3_20240227_1454_450b2.param (18.3 KB)

Conducted further flight testing on 4.5.0 Beta2, Quadplane, Cube Orange. Tested Auto Takeoff/Landing, Guided, FWBA, Cruise, Auto, RTL VTOL Approach. No problems to report.

2 Likes

This issue is already noted here (MAVFTP: Check CRC after file upload · Issue #3308 · ArduPilot/MissionPlanner · GitHub), however I wanted to follow up here too. I encounter this CRC issue on beta2, but not on beta1. Beta1 seems to work as intended, but my Lua scripts that work fine in beta1 get corrupted when initially loading into the board/upon board bootup in beta2. It takes ~1-11 reboots before the scripts start behaving normally. They throw a different “syntax error” or “unexpected symbol error” every time they initially startup. I have tried running this on two different Pixhawk 6Xs with the same results.

We’ve just released 4.5.0-beta3:

Changes from 4.5.0-beta2

1. Board specific changes
  • added PixFlamingo F7 board
  • support ICM42688 on BlitzF745AIO
  • fixed IMU orientation of CubeRedSecondary
  • enable all FPV features on SpeedyBeeF405WING
  1. System level changes
  • improved robustness of CRSF parser
  • reduced memory used by DDS/ROS2
  • added filesystem crc32 binding in lua scripting
  • support visual odometry quality metric and added autoswitching lua script
  • allow for expansion of fence storage to microSD for larger pologon fences
  • allow FTP upload of fence and rally points
  • fixed vehicle type of ship simulation for ship landing
  • make severity level depend on generator error level in IE 2400 generator
  • speed up initial GPS probe by using SERIALn_BAUD first
  • allow NanoRadar radar and proximity sensor to share the CAN bus
  • added MR72 CAN proximity sensor
  • only produce *_with_bl.hex not *.hex in builds if bootloader available
  • fixed check for GPS antenna separation in moving baseline yaw
  • added GPS_DRV_OPTIONS options for fully parsing RTCMv3 stream
  • fixed logging of RTCM fragments in GPS driver
  • fixed video recording while armed
  • robostness and logging improvements for ExternalAHRS
  • fixed RPM from bdshot on boards with IOMCU
  • fixed accel cal simple to remove unused IMUs
  1. Plane specific changes
  • added support for precision landing of quadplanes
  • fixed speed tuning of fixed wing aircraft without an airspeed sensor
  • improved pitch control in high speed VTOL flight
  • added TECS option for rapid descent in fixed wing aircraft

Please test!

2 Likes

Thank you for your great efforts!!

Thank you Andrew will try on my Vtol over the weekend and thank you

Can we read more about this?

the easiest is to go to https://custom.ardupilot.org and select the board then you can see it will auto-fill in the default features for this board, so you can see exactly what you will get

1 Like

Yes, thank you, I am well aware of that. I was more concerned with “enable all FPV features” and it is unclear to me what exactly is meant by that.

Three Flights with CubeOrange 450b3 (AutoTO, short mission, RTL, FBWA, Scripts running) after upgrading from 450b2, no issues, all good.

DataflashLogDownload Speed over USB “resolved” by using LOG_DISARMED = 2

AFS/IOMCU: The IOMCU seems not to trigger FTS (MagicNumber 42, Elev Up etc.) when separating the cube from the Baseboard physically (CubeBlack & CubeOrange). Is that intentional? Direct manual control on MAIN OUT over RC IN (SBUS) also does not work. No Servo Signals/Movements.

I am excited to try out the new Quadplane features on a tiltrotor.

The new documentation states “Continuous tilt-rotor QuadPlanes will tilt motors up to TRIM_THROTTLE times Q_TILT_MAX to maintain position.” So if TRIM_THROTTLE is set to 50%, and Q_TILT_MAX=45deg, the maximum commanded tilt for maneuvering in position controlled mode would be 67.5deg? (assuming the motors tilt through a 90deg range)

This seems like a beneficial feature. I’ve previously found that with using Q_VFWD_GAIN, the aircraft could get into a bad situation if the position controller pitches the nose down and then tilts the motors all the way to Q_TILT_MAX (as it might on a windy day).

the IOMCU is inside the cube, not the baseboard. Baseboard is really just power and connectors.
You can test failure of cube main MCU using the OVERRIDE_CHAN parameter. Please read the docs for OVERRIDE_CHAN

1 Like

please read the docs for Q_FWD_THR_USE for the new feature and how to enable it. It is a lot of fun flying with it enabled.

Hi, can you share me your Babyshark VTOL config param files to me?

Today I tested the new Forward Throttle function on two small VTOLS (Tritilt and pusher X-Quad). Note the horizon when hovering against the wind. On both small quad and small tiltrotor, it’s just great to be able to “hover” against the wind without a large, power-guzzling pitch angle. This makes manoeuvring into the wind to the landing site much more efficient.

Unfortunately, I forgot to test whether new Forward Throttle function can be switched off with the old parameter Q_VFWD_ALT ? A kind of “forward throttle alt cutoff” is definitely required for VTOLs with large propellers that could otherwise hit the ground.

I don’t like at all that the minimum forward transition ( Q_TRANSITION_MS ) has now been hardcoded at two seconds. This is more of a safety risk for VTOLs with high acceleration: in 2 seconds the small tritilt has already doubled the transition speed and continues to fly forwards at high speed for at least 1.5 seconds without the pilot having full control authority of the wing flight.

I will probably compile without this hardcoding for my highly accelerating VTOLs. With the QUAD, which accelerates more slowly, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

The minimum Q_TRANSITION_MS should depend on the acceleration and not be rigid.

Apart from that, flights of 3 conventional aeroplanes with the beta-3 on were unproblematic.

Rolf

1 Like

@Rolf thanks for the report! I’ve opened a PR to drop the min transition time to 500ms

3 Likes

@tridge , many thanks for this change.

I’ve just released 4.5.0-beta4. The changes from 4.5.0-beta3 are:

1. system changes
  • fixed a cache corruption issue with microSD card data on H7 based boards
  • rename parameter NET_ENABLED to NET_ENABLE
  • fixed FDCAN labels for adding new H7 boards
  • avoid logging dma.txt to save CPU
  • fixed roll/pitch in viewpro driver
  • added band X in VideoTX
  • fixed quaternion attitude reporting for Microstrain external AHRS
  • add RPLidarC1 proximity support
  1. new boards
  • added MicoAir405v2
  • add Orqa F405 Pro
  1. plane specific changes
  • fixed flare on TVBS quadplanes with throttle stick input

The new image I’m using for releases is from @steph280 - thanks!

6 Likes