Plane 3.9.8 release

thank you Tidge and all the developers,an other leap forward for Arduplane

Really love the IWDG system, thanks @Andrew_Tridgell!

1 Like

hi Marco, glad you like it. I don’t suppose you’d like to do a video showing a fixed wing aircraft continuing to fly after a complete lockup?

2 Likes

@tridge i‘d like to try :wink: how do i force a lockup?

Nice work @tridge! Wish my RC gear and RC brain weren’t so dusty, or I would volunteer to be a crash test dummy for IWDG.

Can someone tell me/us which of the popular ChibiOS boards (eg., F405-Wing) have an IOMCU, or not?

Kelly

Hi Basti,
in my modest experience, you best take this ESC on the F-405 Wing with Dshot enabled and wait for something like this.
:grin:

1 Like

@Rolf don‘t know if i‘m really confident enough for that kind of test… :wink:

@tridge found it. seems it’s skipping gyro cal on reboot, however FC stays in “initialize” after reboot unless kept still for a couple of seconds. how is that handled inflight?

what did you find?
You would need to use mavproxy and use the lock_autopilot command

the IOMCU boards have two banks of PWM outputs (eg. “main” and “aux”). For example, pixhawk, cube, CUAVv5, Pixhawk4, Pixhackv3 etc
All others have no IOMCU

thanks @tridge , i‘ll try that.

Is this intended to address the recent critical service bulletin for 2019 -manufactured Cube autopilots? Or is it unrelated, as the relevant pull request is still open?

yes, it includes a simpler fix for that issue (ie. the aircraft will not crash if it loses the active IMU)

1 Like

Mmmmmm… why not? :rofl:

2 Likes

well, apart from the possibility that it doesn’t work and your plane flies off into the sunset? that won’t happen of course :slight_smile:

Right now the only way to induce the lockup is to send a magic mavlink command from mavproxy. I could create you a release that adds a new RC option for locking up the autopilot, so you could put it on a switch. We decided against having that in the normal releases. Would that work for you? If so, what board do you want the build for?

Some notes:

• if it is in AUTO it won’t restore the waypoint number its heading for, it would instead restart the mission
  • it won’t arm on reboot, but it will allow you to arm using the normal methods while flying (eg. GCS button or rudder+throttle)
  • if you are rolling/pitching rapidly when you reset then it will get confused for a few seconds (at least) and manual mode may be a good idea till it gets sorted out

The problem is the arming sequence if there’s a rudder installed.
The auto rearm could also be dangerous but more safe in that case, what do you think of using an rc channel for auto rearm after reset? Something like “if in a high state, over 1700 uS, autorearm the system after a reset”? Only for the testing phase, i’ve 6 free rc channels, form 9 to 14.
For the build “3DR Pixhawk” sounds good, initially I will do some bench tests.
About the risk, if the plane after the board reset work fine in full manual I think it’s minimal, the first tests would be better done in that way.
Everything depends on how many seconds after the reset the servos are back in operation.
For example an FX61 in Cruise at 70 meters AGL it could impact the ground after 6/7 seconds since the board reset.
If the procedure lasts longer it would be useless.

Thanks Marco for your amazing tests that most of Us don`t have the knowledge or courage to do but they contribute to fly safer :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Andrew_Tridgell, read the Skype chat…

I have now done the plane 3.9.8 final release. In addition to the changes listed above there were 3 more changes:

• fixed the power brick2 status bit on FMUv5 boards
  • added a CubeBlack specific check for failed IMUs (to address the safety bulletin)
  • added logging to GPS receiver SD card in septentrio GPS modules

Happy flying!

3 Likes

Thanks Tridge

Really appreciate how quickly this all happened!

1 Like
5 Likes