Pixhawk crash went nuts during landing appr, have logs/video

After reading many sync errors with afro esc with simon k I bought some esc32 controllers.
So last change for the pixhawk, never had sync error with config with apm sunnysky 980 and afro 30 a esc
New config wil be pixhawk with same sunnysky motors and esc32, tomorrow building and hopefully testing day, anybody tips or experience with esc32v2 and pixhawk?
autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/esc32/

Keep you informed about testing

Found solution to my Pixhawk problem!!

dji.com/product/a2

You’re misquoting me. The context is a completely different issue. Yes, we are doing a restructure, because 3.1.2 was a very solid release overall, we want to change the way our code is organized to bring in more contributors.

No, it shouldn’t. This great new bit of kit was designed for the open source community around APM to continue working on APM.

It is very early days for PIXHAWK. The solution to sync problems is to use something other than SimonK, which is entirely not necessary on the majority of medium-size copters.

The simple fact is that the ESC is screwing up somehow. The input to the ESC should not be able to cause a sync problem, no matter what it is.

Hi all, I installed the esc32 with the Pixhawk, all went well.
After arming the motors wont spin but after a little throttle they spin up and stays spinning with throttle down, as do should, think I need to crank up a little the MOT_SPIN_ARMED parameters but it was flying rock solid, great upgrade from afro esc.
No more sync errors

Hi Peter

Still waiting for my esc32s. Did you run a ‘Current limiter calibration’ before you used them?

Jon

Hi, no just plug and play, only settings that was changed was
PWM_MIN_PERIOD 2000 (for apm and pixhawk)
run also the Vb version so max 3s, wil change in time to V5 for 4s support

Thanks Peter.

Sounds good. I’m going to be running mine on 4s so I’ll be soldering for V5. I’ve got a ftdi/usb connector so will try the current limiter calibration. I’m being a bit more cautious as I’m going to be using MN4010 474kv 24 pole motors. It’s good to know though that it will work fine without calibration.

Jon

Hello
Lorenz and Jeff and I finally had some time to work through this and I need to post Lorenz’s comment from the drone-discuss list.

Hi all,

I have seen quite some cargo cult (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_science) when it comes to interfacing PWM based motor controllers.

I feel I can contribute by helping people to focus on the right aspects during troubleshooting. After having tried all ESCs reported as “not working” myself successfully, I did a little write up to be referenced in the future. It tries to be a helpful troubleshooting resource but also serve as reference. Note that you can register yourself on the page and edit it if you feel parts of it need updating.

pixhawk.org/users/esc_motor_controllers

The executive summary of this is:

1. Pixhawk works with every ESC out there that works with a normal RC receiver. Really. Because it sends the same type of signal.

2. The flight stack has to ensure that initialisation requirements for the ESC are met. The two most popular: 1) requiring a low pulse, e.g. 900 us or 2) timing out after a few seconds without signal. The native stack eliminates both by sending a 900 us pulse at boot and raises this to about 1100/1200 when armed. It does this only for multicopters.

3. People need to get their wiring right. Always connect signal and ground. Check your ESC type to decide how to connect the +5V line. Pixhawk will never mind how you connect it, but your ESCs might kill each other if wired incorrectly.

Basically you can get away with using the power ground as the signal return with the APM but you cannot do that with the Pixhawk. You must connect both the signal and the signal ground in order to make the ESC work, otherwise the PWM signal looks like this.

Displaying PWM_LineGlitch.png

Video Here.

diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixha … %3A1627206