Passthrough telemetry over CRSF (crossfire)

thanks @vierfuffzig , that explains why you only get the warning and we do not enter failsafe, found the code here, should have looked better :slight_smile:

/*
  return true if throttle level is below throttle failsafe threshold
  or RC input is invalid
 */
bool Plane::rc_failsafe_active(void) const
{
    if (!rc_throttle_value_ok()) {
        return true;
    }
    if (millis() - failsafe.last_valid_rc_ms > 1000) {
        // we haven't had a valid RC frame for 1 seconds
        return true;
    }
    return false;
}

@yaapu tested latest code, basically the same behaviour as before. canā€™t wrap my head around the performance discrepancy on USART1 vs other UARTS

• USART1: constant rate of 150 no matter what
  • other UARTs: basic rate of ~10 - 15, increasing to ~ 50 when USB connected (just plugged into PC, no active MAVLink connection). stalling to ~ 2 over time
  • intermittend No RC Receiver flags and unmotivated RMFD switching

my individual guess is that this is a melange of ardupilot UART handling and CRSF bandwidth saturation issues. without any profound insight, i donā€™t think we should lose valid RC Input for more than 200 ms unless intentionally choosing a low update rate.

two more points i noticed while testing:

• the (dis-)armed panel consumes a noticeable amount of your insanely awesome map widget.

• passthrough sensor_status_flags information is pretty verbose and cautious regarding severity level rating where the base-code is a bit more tolerant. iā€™ve noticed constant "CRT: Bad AHRS" flags, likely due to using_gps being flagged on my no-compass setup until EKF yaw gets aligned to GPS velocity vector. quite some effort has gone into avoiding the ā€œBadā€ label on an expected process. might be an option to use the ā€œhealthyā€ flag here instead.

Hi @vierfuffzig , one more version to test, this one should be much better, I relaxed a constraint that should not be necessary on full duplex link (discussed this with @andyp1per)
arduplane_matekf405wing_v2.zip (631.1 KB)

1 Like

did you actually arm the vehicle? that huge disarm dialog goes away ad only comes back on next disarm, it never bothered me but since itā€™s pretty big I can understand that could disturb :slight_smile:

Those ā€œverboseā€ errors are there from the original authors of the library, it might be time to refresh them with updated messages

@yaapu yes, i did arm, honestly i expected the disarm panel to go away when armed, but it didnā€™t. iā€™m a try again, maybe i just was too impatient :wink:

will try new version asap, thanks for your constant effort on this!!!

@yaapu ok, the panel goes away when is_flying :+1:

1 Like

@yaapu aaaaaand MASSIVE improvement on last version!

• USART1: packet rate ~ 160, no issues
  • UART3: packet rate ~60
  • no stalling
  • no change with USB connected
  • no relevant performance decrease compared to 160 frames on USART1
  • no more RC Input flags

on a sidenote DBG reports RFMD 2 though CRSF is in RFMD 1 (tested at distance with low output power / force telemetry mode)

awesome, thanks a lot!!!

finally good news, perhaps we have a version to fly :slight_smile:

mhmm, what does the widget display on the top bar RS:[rssi]/[rfmode] ??

crsf direct, ardupilot crsf and passthrough tlm (script link panel) report RFMD1, only DBG seems to always report RFMD2

ā€¦additionally, further testing revealed that the CRSF NanoRXes signal pins are not 5V-tolerant :boom:

ok @vierfuffzig , Iā€™ll try to reproduce it

ā€¦and you found it out the ā€œwrongā€ way, Iā€™m afraid :frowning:

Iā€™ve already flown this on my Y6B :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Alex,
very impressive project. The last summer I use for the RC channels the TBS and for the telemetry the FrSky. This works fine and so far no lost on planes. Exept that oneā€™s where the failure whas between the ears.
I like the idea to have evertything on one RX/TX system. The Horus should be just a joystick and screen.
So I installed Your latest version on a plane and get it running so far.
From Ardupilot I use a Pixhawk 1 on that plane and from TBS a micro V2 receiver.
Firmwares:

• Open TX: 2.3.10
  • ArduPilot: your latest repo 0.7
  • Horus: 190b_0.7
  • TBS: V3.72

Normaly I run this Pixhawk as s FMUV2. But if I compile it I get no telemetry connection. If I compile it as a Pixhhawk 1 it will work as wirtten in this thread.
As next I like to install the firmware on a ā€œHolybro Durandalā€ for the next plane. For my understanding the telemetrie should run on all suported hardware.

Second question - is there a posibility to get the FrSky sensors on the Ardupilot or Crossfire?

At the weekend I will fly the plane to see how it will be work and respond.

Cheers, Markus

@master-of-desaster-8 Hi Markus, thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Compiling for fmuv2 from my branch will not enable CRSF features, as youā€™ve found out you need to compile for Pixhawk1-1M or Pixhawk1.
The durandal has 2MB of flash and CRSF is enabled by default so it will work out of the box, I can compile it for you or you can compile it yourself.

As for frsky sensors in a crossfire ecosystem itā€™s not possible right now :frowning:

@vierfuffzig I canā€™t reproduce this issue, but while testing Iā€™ve found a minor bug on mode 2 custom telemetry rates, Iā€™m building version 0.8 of my branch and in the meantime I built this for you with rate debug info enabled

arduplane_matekf405wing_v0.8.zip (631.3 KB)

Funny,
I had exactly the opposite effect.
build my own,
changed this line

to get the debug output shown here:

Auto-detected serial ports are:
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ArduPilot_omnibusf4pro_290030000A47373130373630-if00
Connecting to /dev/serial/by-id/usb-ArduPilot_omnibusf4pro_290030000A47373130373630-if00
Connect /dev/serial/by-id/usb-ArduPilot_omnibusf4pro_290030000A47373130373630-if00 source_system=255
Log Directory:
Telemetry log: mav.tlog
Waiting for heartbeat from /dev/serial/by-id/usb-ArduPilot_omnibusf4pro_290030000A47373130373630-if00
MAV> APM: Ground start
APM: Beginning INS calibration. Do not move plane
online system 22
INITIALISING> Mode INITIALISING
Init GyroAPM: RCInput: decoding CRSF
*APM: CRSF: custom telemetry initialized
**APM: Initialising ArduPilot
APM: CRSF: rf mode 0, rate 1
APM: Calibrating barometer
APM: Barometer 1 calibration complete
APM: No airspeed sensor present
APM: ArduPilot Ready
MANUAL> APM: GPS 1: detected as MTK19 at 115200 baud
APM: EKF3 IMU0 buffs IMU=17 OBS=7 OF=16 EN:16 dt=0.0200
APM: CRSF: rf mode 0, rate 115
APM: GPS 1: detected as MTK19 at 38400 baud
APM: CRSF: rf mode 0, rate 142
APM: CRSF: rf mode 0, rate 148
APM: ArduPlane V4.1.0dev (0b3bc7b4)
APM: ChibiOS: 331fe75d
APM: omnibusf4pro 00300029 3137470A 30363730
APM: RCOut: PWM:1-8
Received 1091 parameters (ftp)
Flight battery 100 percent
Mode MANUAL
APM: EK3: Changed EK3_GPS_TYPE to 1
GPS lock at 0 meters
APM: EKF3 IMU0 initialised
APM: EKF3 IMU0 tilt alignment complete
APM: EKF3 IMU0 origin set
APM: CRSF: rf mode 0, rate 147

The fullsize TX has shown: RFMD 2 on the OLED display on itā€™s back.

Donā€™t blame the old MTK19 GPS. just for bench testingā€¦

Some more progress: :slightly_smiling_face:
the RFMD indicator seems to work (different from my earlier tests)
yaapu_dev_01

Tested with fullsize TX on Frsky xLite.

1 Like

I canā€™t seem to get telemetry working. I have been testing CRSF protocol off the dev build of arduplane on multiple vehicles and havenā€™t had any problems.

I have switched to the current build here and discovering new sensors is not finding anything.
I can see on MP under messages the CRSF rf mode / packet rate msgs and have rc but am not able to get any telemetry on my T16 with crossfire full size module v3.78 & v4.05 and micro rx.
Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Shouldnā€™t there technically be two sets? the custom telemetry you have added and also the built in CRSF telemetry messages egā€¦ attitude/gps/mode/batt?

Thanks for all the hard work btw!

James

@jelkins
have you switched on RC_OPTIONS = 256 to enable crsf_passthrough ?

@VRquaeler yep, my f405-wing was at 32 so 32+256=288ā€¦ have also tried 286, had another f405 at 0 so tried 256ā€¦ no luck yet.

what about the switch in the yaapu-widget settings?
There is a dedicated switch for the crsf telemetry too.