I tried another test flight this afternoon to see if I could get New Loiter to “feel right”.
My question for today is, what is the settings for New Loiter that will make it “feel” and act like Old Loiter defaults?
I’m going to strike what I wrote above because it loses focus and I was just trying to get a “feel” for New Loiter and what the settings do. That is not a problem with New Loiter. It is a problem with me trying to figure it out and become familiar with it.
Here is the issue that I’ve noticed with New Loiter when I’m talking about moving the heli around.
- People are going to be interested in the new lean angle thing and response, etc.
- Heli pilots are NOT interested in the lean angle and response - we want super smooth precision
- Loiter was designed for precision hovering and camera work, etc (copter type aircraft)
- Loiter was never intended to be a mode to fly the aircraft around with at any great speed
- Loiter should always have very gentle accelerations, very gentle and smooth moves, should never jerk or allow large frame angles that could screw up a gimbal or a camera shot.
- It should be a mode where the autopilot flies the aircraft so the pilot can attend to other tasks, and the pilot merely makes a request to the autopilot to smoothly and slowly move the aircraft to a different position
- If the pilot wants a mode where the aircraft responds to lean angles, etc. we already have Pos Hold
I think we’re losing focus because it’s been modified to provide a mode that multi’s can fly around with like DJI’s “GPS Mode” or whatever they call it.
So here’s the problems (so far):
The position controller went into oscillation in my heli with the defaults. Why? I looked at what we adjusted. Postion XY P gain and velocity gains. I have to look this code over in detail and try to figure it out. But are we translating desired velocity and acceleration to frame lean angles?
New Loiter (so far) does not have the same precision in holding or rejecting wind. I noticed that right away today when I loaded 3.5.3 in to compare. it tightened the heli right up putting 3.5.3 back in it. What would cause that? Position controller gains too low? I mean, it holds position fairly well. But not with the precision of 3.5.3.
I’ll see if I can generate some more logs. The logs from today are terrible because I changed settings 20+ times trying things out.