New build - dev/prod setup - Toro 60” zero turn

Latest param file
marblecreek-100424.param (15.7 KB)

Prearm 33 error gone, now have Pre-Arm: no motor, sail, or scripting outputs defined.
GPS1 No Fix is likely a cabling issue - will order another cable and test (GPS1 is already dressed into the wiring harness).
Messages show something called “d” in the messages - weird…

RCIN2 isn’t doing what you think it is. Do not set any servo output to RCIN1 through 4 unless you know exactly what you’re doing (you do not). Same goes for setting any output to RCPassThru - it’s a no-no unless you have a very specific reason (and “because I think it works” is not a very good one :smiley: ).

You need to set servo outputs for ThrottleLeft and ThrottleRight.

You should be following the steps outlined here in careful detail:
Mandatory Hardware Configuration — Rover documentation (ardupilot.org)

Treat your drive servos as PWM enabled ESCs, as far as the documentation is concerned.

1 Like

I have throttle on the left stick (up/down movement) with no spring return. That lets me set a speed and leave it. Steering is on the right (left/right movement) with a spring return to center.
I have never tried any other configuration and don’t see a reason to do so. I’m used to this way and like it.

2 Likes

My manual steering is just like Kenny has set his up, except I put a spring return on the left (throttle) joystick. To me it was a safety issue. It’s like a deadman’s switch. If you are not holding the throttle position, it will stop. I was also concerned about the throttle lever being accidentally off of the neutral position when you start the engine.
Yesterday, I changed it around so throttle and steering are all on one joystick that has a spring return on both axis. I am going to try it that way for a while and I wanted to convert mine over before I get down to Austin this weekend and try to help Cris set his up. I just changed the RCMAP_PITCH and RCMAP_THROTTLE parameters, which switched the channel 2 & 3 inputs around in Ardupilot. The RC transmitter stays untouched. It worked out fine and now my control is all on one joystick.

Found this: Prearm: no motor, sail or scripting outputs defined

Says I need to define at least one output using SERVOX_FUNCTION. May get to this Friday, or Sat with @Swebre2023 .

@Yuri_Rage your last comment clears much for me - thanks for connecting those dots…cd

Typically, you’d set:
SERVO1_FUNCTION=73
SERVO3_FUNCTION=74

…assuming you have your drive servos on Main Out 1 and 3 (per default config recommendations).

1 Like

I saw that post and started to mention it, but I thought that since you had posted your parameters and folks on here had looked at it, surely you had your servo functions defined. It is easy to overlook something.

Wish I could come to Austin to watch you and Steve work! :slight_smile:

Steve,
I agree it is safer to have the return spring. I think when tuning, it might be useful to be able to set the throttle and leave it when you are tuning the steering rate controller so that the speed is constant and only the steering is being changed as you experiment. Otherwise, having the spring is probably a good idea. I’ll probably leave mine as is, though.

1 Like

Wow! What a day! Thank you @SJohnson for helping with all the craziness I created on my mower! Here’s a link to the e-stop I used!

We resolved:
Firmware gremlin (not a rover, but is now; 4.5.1)
GPS Yaw config ( including getting GPS1 back from the dead, and troubleshooting my labeling)
Radiomaster reconfig for single (not r2d2) gymbal steering
Radiomaster switch config to mark waypoint
Servo tune (on jacks) low/high speed

Interestingly, one of my massive servos went kaput at the end. Ugh. Ordered another pair (just in case both are affected). Will force me to paint my push rods. . .

My cousin showed up and joined the fun! He has a Toro 48” in a similar config. If @Swebre2023 hosts another Mowstock, we’ll bring his and mine out!

Really, I can’t thank Steve enough for coming by and pushing me up to the line (dang servo), and everyone else who contributes to this amazing group!

1 Like

That servo failure was very puzzling. We took care to make sure it was operating well inside its operating range and any mechanical stops. It just seemed like some sort of infant fatality. Certainly was unfortunate. However, Cris is now pretty much ready to tune the mower. All the necessary systems are now operational (except for one servo).

2 Likes

Abuse on your end, or possibly flawed product?

I’m very curious about the longevity of those servos.

Great update! Sounds like you and Steve made great progress!

I am interested in how those big servos do also. I have almost lost another of the AGFRC 125kg-cm ones. It is vibrating, but still working. I already had a spare that I will put on when I decide the current one has had enough, but I may be looking for another type.

Cris, I had mentioned to you about the manual steering exponential function now available on Rover V4.4 and later.
Steering expo can be applied using the [MANUAL_STR_EXPO] parameter.
This is used to decrease transmitter steering control sensitivity around neutral.

1 Like

Thanks for sending that Steve - I’ll be working on my RC transmitter for a bit while I wait for the replacement servo. Just updated the EdgeTX firmware and wow - way easier than what was shipped. Hope you get one of these Radiomaster rigs - so capable.

I guess I’ll have to get the tractor/shredder out for a bit longer…hehe

While you’re waiting on parts, definitely look into enabling Yaapu telemetry on that Radiomaster radio. You won’t regret the time investment.

2 Likes

Hey Cris, I just wanted to mention to you that I end up using several of these “Universal” automotive relays. I just use the PWM relays to control them just to get the ability to handle up to 30 amps.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748F1JK4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

I use similar. Combo of digital relay boards and RC relays, but all of them just control higher current standard automotive relays (either the ones within the mower’s own electrical system, or some that I have installed for various subsystems).

1 Like

Moved my electronics to a different box that has a bit more room. Mounted my gps cards vertically, and plan to install a fan. Not sure if I’ll have EMF issues, but the cleaner install makes me happy. Happymodel folks are walking me through troubleshooting my servo. No gear issues, but the motor shaft seems to spin inside the helical drive gear (no bueno). I’m continuing to troubleshoot with them - impressed with their tenacity! Still no new servos received - maybe next week…

Working my GPS yaw and have a question - the documentation says measure from the center of the rover to the offset location. Seems to me we got mine working at Mowstock and just measured between the 2 antennas. My heading is a little off, and I’m getting the 65000 error in the Mavlink GPS2 yaw counter. What did we do to resolve that?

Thanks all - hoping to mow shortly after that servo shows up!