MSP protocol support

ardupilot’s integrated OSD stats could be rendered as

• total flight distance (displayed on the MSG rolling)
  • max altitude (as override of altitude)
  • max ground speed (as override of speed)
  • max distance (as override of distance)
  • max current (as override of current)

with all other items hidden, should work

screen switching needs to be well intgerated for this to make sense

In my opinion it would be sufficient if all data came one after the other: total flight distance: 20.5 km, max altitude: 500 m … and so on.

once I find a good way to handle multiple screens how to display stuff is quite easy provided we use hacks as my previous solution.

One possible approach:

• enable multiple screen support for msp OSD (not very useful for there are very few items)
  • enable rendering of OSDn_STATS as rolling text (or multiple overriden items)

So to enable stats one would:

• enable OSD screen 2
  • disable all OSD items on screen 2
  • enable OSD2_STATS

switch context using one of the provided ways

I just wanted to say that I compiled with my hwdef and it works great with my caddx Vista on the newest firmware (50mbps). Can’t wait for it to be integrated into master

1 Like

I’ve flown the first time now, everything was great.
I noticed one thing.
the increase in power has no - sign.

you don’t know whether you are going up or down with 1 / min

No control on how power is rendered, guess it’s a DJI limit

about 1MB boards - Im using it on matekf405 ctr, 405-wing and Im going to use it on v6 nano with zohd drift, so yes, from my point of view we need msp on these boards :slight_smile: any ETA when it will be merged to the master ?

Hello everyone, noob question here and i appreciate your help. I setup correctly my first arduplane based wing, and i am trying to setup MSP to get OSD/telemetry on my DJI Digital FPV goggles. I am using UART 6 on holybro kakute F4 v2 (Serial 1), so i setup serial1_protocl = 30 and serial1_baud = 115. I have also setup MSP_options to 1. I wired DJI air unit TX to uart 6 RX and RX to uart6 TX. I still cannot see any osd in my goggles. Am i missing any step here ? Thanks

Hi, fyi it’s seems to have a bug in the display.
MSP_OSD_GPSD parameter show the speed gauge and no.

In parallel, I have an impossibility to move the Flight mode display. Iit’s like there a column shift/offset with Flight mode and GPS longitude

As a side effect, only longitude is display and not latitude.

I’m running your ArduPlane V4.1.0dev (ab5cf8ac). I didn’t see any update lastly so I suppose it’s the last build (but I could mistake)

Thanks for your support.

Jean

I add my param file attached if help. 20200827_19h13_ranger1600_flaperon_DJIFPV_v2.param (19.4 KB)

I want to add some comments: since last DJI updates firmware, RX AND TX lines must be wired (not only TX from FC to RX Air unit)

Hi, sorry but no ETA, still under review…let’s hope soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, unfortunately I don’t have that board so cannot be of much help, params look good to me!

Hi Jean, you’re the first one to report problems with GSPD, unfortunately I no longer have a test unit so I can’t even try to reproduce your issues :frowning:
As for lat/lon position I remember that not all positions could be used and as soon as you moved to the right they would disappear, it’s a dji issue for I did the very same test with betaflight.

There’s a more recent version which does not add any features but it’s integrated with ardupilot OSD, OSD positions can be adjusted using mission planner OSD editor, it’s the version being reviewed by the dev team for inclusion in master, the branch is here configuration is quite different, you need to enable built in OSD and configure widgets on screen 1 using ardupilot standard OSD items, serial protocol is 33 and OSD_TYPE must be set to 3
Edit: for boards that do not have built in OSD you need to add “define OSD_ENABLED 1” at the end of the board hwdef file in /libraries/AP_HAL_Chibios/hwdef/

BMAC
Brian MacCleery

4h

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for all your incredible work on this. It is a tremendous benefit to have a first class OSD on my DJI FPV headset.

I wanted to let you know that build 0.9 is not working on my F765-WING. No data appears on the DJI headset and I don’t see the MSP parameters listed in Mission Planner.

Hi Brian, there’s no msp build 0.9, latest is 0.7 unless you build it yourself from the PR branch as explained a couple posts back.

Hey Alex,

Could you add a build for Heli+Matek-f765?

I can see that Flow and range data is coming through. Thanks!

Hi Chris, I added the heli build on github

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Can you please compile arducopter + msp for matek h743?

I’ve now merged MSP support into master. New builds should appear on firmware.ardupilot.org in a couple of hours.
Huge thanks to @yaapu for the amazing work he has done on this feature!

3 Likes

Thanks @tridge it’s been a lot of fun but without your help it would not have been possible !

1 Like