Servers by jDrones

MAVLink Step by Step

(Soubhi) #21

Could you please tell me if you were able to get ardupilotmega.xml messages ?

(MagicRuB) #22

(James Pattison) #23

(Marcsay) #24

Hi, I would like to ask regarding the 0-255 value of the message ID? I saw that the message ID reaches up to #324 in here:

Does this mean that the format of the MAVLink message changes?

(WickedShell) #25

@marcsay If a message is encoded as MAVLink 2 it’s message ID can be upto 24 bits long.

(Juan Pedro) #26

He is most probably using FastSerial or Softwareserial library to be able to communicate with the PC with the Arduino UART and then two digital output pins to the Pixhawk.

If using Softwareserial then SerialMAV could be something like:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial SerialMAV(11,12);    // pins for RX, TX

Then the use of SerialMAV is mostly identical to the normal Serial variables…

(Niket Ahuja) #27

Really great explanation. Finally some clarity. I am still struggling to understand how should i start using MAVLink to communicate and how exactly can i monitor whether there is any response?
Suppose i start with a Heartbeat message.How will i monitor it on Pixhawk?
also can someone please upload an example basic program so that i know how exactly to code.
I am using arduino and Pixhawk Px4.

(Juan Pedro) #28

Heartbeat is not really used for anything, just as a way to know that you are connected. The important part is triggering the messages you are interested in and then parsing the messages with the appropriate directives.

Please find attached a sample program I intend to use to implement navigation lights in my drone. Still under development, but basic functionality is already working.

Sorry for the comments, they are in Spanish. If you need help, I can translate them. It is also a working file, so still a lot of “garbage” around of pieces of information and documentation pasted across… (4.5 KB)

(Luís Vale Gonçalves) #29

Gracias @jplopezll Juan Pedro :slight_smile:

(Juan Pedro) #30

De nada, un placer…

(Juan Pedro) #31

If you are looking for the continuation of this great post, I have published a post on how to interface a Pixhawk with an Arduino and use it to control on-board lights. It is the explanation of my code above and how to modify it setp by step:

Specially dedicated to @luisvale :wink:.

(Luís Vale Gonçalves) #32

Thanks @jplopezll Juan Pedro.

I’ve also pinged @Pedro_Albuquerque to follow up on his latest achievements :slight_smile:

(Juan Pedro) #33

@luisvale, I tried to contact Pedro by PM to see if we could work this out together, but no answer. His profile has no activity since 2016. I do not know if he will receive messages from this forum any longer :worried:.

(Luís Vale Gonçalves) #34

No problem @jplopezll He is a personal friend and I spoke with him last weekend :slight_smile:

(Juan Pedro) #35

Good news!

If he has any ideas on how to improve the version 2 of his great post, tell him to PM me. I still want to add some pictures and drawings and maybe explain a bit more the code and what it does.

(madu) #36

Thanks for the exploitative post…
Does that autopilot send heart beat message to GCS? If not why? If I want to test the receiving messages with QGC what should I need to do? Note that I am pretty new to this…