Long Range Control

Hello ArduPilot community. I am looking for a telemetry setup that I can control my drone/plane at 50 miles of distance. Can anyone recommend me which transceiver, receiver and antenna I can use? Any advice is much appreciated.

You can see this one integrated radio Long range UAV link 100mw for 60KM was designed and tested
Another option is the Dragon link V3 with telemetry with your standard radio, the two what I know but there are other options too.

Thank you for the reply. I have checked the link you have sent, I don’t believe that you can reach 60 KM with 100 mw on 2.4 Ghz. Anyways, I was asking for a specific brand like Dragon link v3. I also read that antenna is really important. Which antenna could give me the most range possible?

I test one M12L 17 kms ground level and surprise me It capacity, is not a common 2.4 100mw obviously but Im not an expert to know the trick. Yes, antennas are very important, I use a dipole with my old dragon (not fly so far) but a directional one always give you more distance like a yagi or something like that.

not to hijack

but i’m looking for the same thing, just for a rover (car)

my plan is to use 4G (cell data) to get long range

so far i have setup a raspberry pi with pivpn and next is to setup another pi that via 4g(wifi) connects home, once connected i should be able to use mission planner to connect to the pi

it was this page that got me started and thinking: http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/raspberry-pi-via-mavlink.html

just thoughts thou

1 Like

i’m not, it was mean as an alternative suggestion for @maxblanc

@boelle Thank you for the 4G advice, it is a great solution where network is available. But since I’m planning to fly long distance at high altitude in a rural area there wont be any cellular providers therefore I need a solution like the RFD900x.

@Matt_C Thank you for the RFD900x suggestion. I will definitely look into it. I also found similar products like EzUHF, DragonLink and Scherrer. At this it seems that building a setup with one of these with a yagi directional antenna will give me the optimal solution.

1 Like