I did a dumb thing - small, cheap Rover testbed

Hey, if you want to build one for fun (that eventually ends up at my place)… I’ll buy all the parts… :slight_smile: I know you have nothing else to do! :slight_smile:

Yuri: It is not up and running yet. I am waiting on a broach to finish machining a key-way in the the hubs for the wheels to attach to the drive motors. The front wheels don’t drag much as I have used this design before. I have a 33" with a 20 HP twin on it I built a few yrs ago and it has casters up front. It is just too heavy for a test bed. So I decided to shelf it and build one with RTK and Cube Orange.( was not counting on all the peripherals having newly designed connectors) so I have to order a lot of new parts.My goal is to learn this RTK and make an ALL ELECTRIC robot with quick connect implements for spraying, mowing,delivering beer,& and feeding livestock etc>>>>

The power is delivered via LIPOs in the right side blue box. well see how long that works.! Doug

small lipos1|320x240 small lipos2

Yuri: It is not up and running yet. I am waiting on a broach to finish machining a key-way in the the hubs for the wheels to attach to the drive motors. The front wheels don’t drag much as I have used this design before. I have a 33" with a 20 HP twin on it I built a few yrs ago and it has casters up front. It is just too heavy for a test bed. So I decided to shelf it and build one with RTK and Cube Orange.( was not counting on all the peripherals having newly designed connectors) so I have to order a lot of new parts.My goal is to learn this RTK and make an ALL ELECTRIC robot with quick connect implements for spraying, mowing,delivering beer,& and feeding livestock etc>>>>

The power is delivered via LIPOs in the right side blue box. well see how long that works.! Doug

small lipos1|320x240

Kenny : That’s some good work,on that board.
How many projects do you have going?
Sounds like you and Yuri have a lot going on.with FCs.
Doug

The mower is really my only active project with Ardupilot. I bought all the parts that Yuri specified for his quadcopter but they are still in the shipping boxes and bags! I hope to start on that very soon, though. I also have had the parts for a loooong time to build a bathymetry survey boat for my work as Randy describes in Mapping a lake with ArduPilot but that project got shelved when a higher priority one came up. And there are numerous non-Ardupilot projects on the farm and around, as I’m sure everyone has! I have a hard time finishing anything, sadly.

2 Likes

How did you make that board, Kenny? Looks really nice!

I designed it in Eagle and then used the Toner Transfer Method to transfer laser printer toner to a double-sided copper clad board. Then I etched it with ammonium persulfate, drilled the holes with a little drill press that holds a Dremel tool.

It really doesn’t make sense to go the complete DIY route since PCBs from China are so inexpensive and so much better than a complete DIY, EXCEPT that it is cool to see the whole process happen, and if a board is simple enough (mainly meaning few vias, which are a pain because you have to solder wires in each hole), then you once the design is complete (which can take days), then you can have the finished board in hours, rather than about a week. So, I do it sometimes, still.

1 Like

I hadn’t done much with the truck other than test load some firmware, scripts, and some ESP32 experiments. And then…

It got a major upgrade this week with an M8P I forgot I had (the fixed base portion of a HERE2 system that was ill suited to its intended task) along with a big battery and mRo 915MHz telemetry. I flashed the latest 4.2 master firmware and tuned it up.

It’s almost comical to see this thing rip around the yard at 4-5 mph in AUTO mode!

This will likely serve as my Ackerman steering testbed for S-Curves when the firmware is up to task.