How to send RTCM3 corrections for RTK

Thank you again for your suggestions! I could also purchase the holybro F9P base station in order to use the same hardware both for the rover and the base station and I can use the ublox f9p as a second configuration so I can compare the behavior of both system.
The total cost for the two rovers gps and the base station is about 1000 EUR but I guess it worth the investment since I would have a very accurate heading.

My only concern is on the overall performance of the ardupilot with a ground vehicle (my robot is a skid-steering tracked vehicle) since it has been designed mainly for the air drones.
I tested lots of gps path following algorithms in ROS with very poor results, so I’m still sceptic about the performance of ardupilot.

I’ve been mowing 2 acres of residential lawn for over a year with a 21 horsepower zero turn (skid steered) lawnmower running ArduPilot Rover 4.x and F9Ps in a fixed base/moving base configuration. Maybe that helps?

1 Like

that’s cool, it helps A LOT!

We are almost in the same situation even if mine is a little bit harder since I have a 1.5 acres vineyard and I would like to make the skid-steering vehicle (with a 21HP gasoline engine) move along the vineyards rows like I did during this test:

I was directly driving the vehicle with a remote transmitter while logging the GPS position in RTK mode by using C099-F9P modules.

Each row has a width of about 2 meters and the vehicle should move straight along each row, going out and then enter the next row and so on. I think this is a very hard task to accomplish!

@Yuri_Rage I’ve seen your recent video on your YouTube channel about the S-curve navigation and the results are really interesting! I’m worried about the U-turn needed to exit and enter the next vineyard since it requires a very tight steering manouver but I feel more relieved after having watched your video!

1 Like

Today, I’ve received two F9P rover modules and a F9P base station, basically, I’ve purchased this kit.

I couldn’t test it today because I need to make the connection wires longer since my ground vehicle is larger than an air drone, but I hope to be able to test the gps yaw in RTK, tomorrow.

Probably, I won’t be able to correctly configure everything tomorrow because I will surely make some mistake, however, I will share everything with you if it works since I think no one tested the gps yaw with the modules I’ve bought, yet.

Hey there, I’m also trying to configure an RTK GPS (the HERE3, NEO-M8P-0-10 chip) and of course it’s not that easy as it seems…

I found your discussion and it seems that you have gained quite some experience … that’s why I allow myself to enter the discussion with some questions…

I’m building an air propelled boat with a PixHawk Cube Orange 2.1. The PixHawk is configured in Rover Mode with Skid Steering. For the GPS module I purchased the HERE3 (connected via CAN1 to the PixHawkCubeOrange). On the University Campus we have an RTK Basestation. Unfortunately I don’t know the model and name of the antenna yet, and I’m also not shure if I can get direct access to it. But what I know for sure is that the basestation is sending out the following RTCM messages:

1. 1074
  2. 1084
  3. 1094
  4. 1104
  5. 1114
  6. 1124
  7. 1134
  8. 1006
  9. 1033
  10. 1230

I’m still not quite shure how to get those messages to my GPS HERE3 module. From what I understand, the idea is that I somehow recieve those messages with a computer running Mission Planner, and from there the RTCM message should be sent to the PixHawk via Telemetry unit. (I have a telemetry unit and the connection between MP software and pixhawk is working fine)

My question: do you have any suggestion of what is best to recieve those RTCM packages from the RTK basestation? and how should I configure mission planner to send the packages to the Rover?

I would be really thankfull for any kind of help!

Bests,
Jérôme

You could set Mission Planner to send the NTRIP corrections from your base to the rover, you have this option in the RTK GPS Inject tab of Mission Planner.

1 Like

Hi Bruno, thanks for your reply. This seems a nice option, and it’s seems pretty easy to use. Unfortunately the antenna on our campus is not sending the packets trough NTRIP, hopefully soon. I also checked if there is some local service that offers RTK correction: there is, it’s called swipos.ch but to expensive for now…

1 Like