How to guide: Mission Planner on Raspberry Pi

hi john, my guide is frankly a bit outdated by now. so i’d say that smaller errors are somewhat expectet.
have you tried the tips that were postet here about using buster OS instead of Bullseye and also the new commands to install mono?

Hi @Holly918

Thank you for your response.

This install was done on Buster ( Bulsseye did not go well !!! )

I missed the alternative instructions for installing “mono” …

I see the “echo” command references “debian stable-buster” and the initial doc
references “debian stable-raspbianbuster”…

I did see the post that explains that the copy of the LibskiaSharp-file is not longer required…

OK, let me redo the entire install…

Many thanks again.Will report back… hopefuly with a bigger SMILE !!

Best of luck to you. I’m not really into raspberry pi at the moment, so to try and recreate the many errors reported here (and update the guide), I’d have to set up my raspberry and take a few days of time. Unfortunately I can’t really estimate when I’ll have enough time to do this.

Until than I’m hoping that the people that hot it up and running might help out here :slight_smile:

Good evening all

I have tried this twice now with the same result.

RPi-4 (4G)
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“10”
VERSION=“10 (buster)”
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

Followed the guide.

To install mono, the commands I used were ( as per this thread)
sudo apt install apt-transport-https dirmngr gnupg ca-certificates

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

echo “deb Index of /repo/debian stable-buster main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install mono-complete

During the install process I get no errors and yet if I double click on my ICON and select
EXECUTE, the prompt goes to an hour-glas for a while and then just does nothing.

If I look at everyone having success, it is rather frustrating.

Does anyone perhaps have any suggestions ?

Many thanks in advance

I can confirm that Mission planner works quite well with RASPI3b+. But MP being installed on a computer in the same Raspi network…There is no point having MP on a Raspi where the screen size will be small.!! …Ardupilot SITL is installed on the Raspi3b+ and MP connects well via Wifi …

bro ı use raspberry pi 4 4gb and I couldn’t open the mp . Have you found a way ?

Guys I got this problem when ı try to install mono “Ignoring file ‘monoofficial-’ in directory ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/’ as it has no filename extension” please help me

Which pi OS version are you using. I think latest PiOS bullseye not working a few month back. Buster is okay or python 2.x is okay, I can’t remember.

But after install successfully MP in Pi I find it not useful, we can just use Android + MP + Radio telemetry probably to fulfill the same thing.

The challenge I find is dronekit stops progressing and I haven’t get an alternative to work with Pi and arducopter to explore application onboard.

1 Like

I couldnt get MP to work on latest updated R Pi 400 (pi 4 in a keyboard)
There was an error related to LibSkiaSharp.so which I couldnt easily resolve myself.

So I cheated!
I installed Ubuntu LTS for the rpi
I did these as a matter of course:
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
sudo apt-get remove modemmanager -y
Installed mono-complete as per instructions
Unzipped latest MissionPlanner to /home/{me}/MissionPlanner
Created the MissionPlanner.desktop file using alacarte (Main Menu)

Most things seem working, reviewing logs, installing firmware
But I do have the occasional crash - I’ll check for reasons and update here

4 Likes

I’ve got it running again on Ubuntu 22.10 (for pi). So far, so good. (it’s no speed demon, but it seems functional)

Same issue as all my other linux installs lately, and that the Quick tab will display no values. I’ve connected over Sik Radio and USB. I’ll try UDP/wifi later when I’m up for it.

Does someone know how to configure the mission planner on rpi to autoconnect on startup with a tcp connection?

I’ve installed MP-1.3.76 on RPi4(Raspbian OS) with this: Dropbox - MissionPlanner-Raspi4-Installation-Guide_English_V2.pdf - Simplify your life
And i didn’t have problems with usb joystick connection and usb telemetry connection. But i have troubles with videostream. I solved the problem by streaming MJPEG via VLC (video from HDZero). However, the delays in the video are quite large. I am going to fix it.
I tried other versions of MP (stable, lastest and1.3.79) - they did not run at all on RPi4.
Maybe my advice will help someone.

Thank you very much!

due to a growing number of people reporting that Missionplanner does not work anymore on Raspberry i decided to pick up this 3 year old project again.
maybe also, and mainly, because i’m planning to build a GCS inside a pelicase.

anyway: after installing Raspberyy pi OS version 11 (Bullseye) and then installing Mono i could run Missionplanner 1.3.8 without any problems.
I’d say, stay tuned for version 3 of my guide.

2 Likes

I couldn’t get it working after trying. I know some of the instructions need to change for Mono. I used this guide: Install Mono on Raspberry Pi | Step by Step Guide

I followed the remaining instructions and it looks like it tries to run, but never does anything. I just get an hourglass for maybe 30s. Maybe it’s something with Mono and how it’s configured.

Could you try again with this guide from the developers and report back?

Also I remember that on first startup my Missionplanner didn’t want to start. Only at the second time everything worked.

https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin-raspbian

Install with mono-complete. Not mono-devel.

That worked! Thanks a ton!

It looks like some of the way Mono is installed had changed. Your old guide, and the guide I tried, didn’t work anymore. But your Mono-Project link, did work. First time too!

It’s somewhat slow on a RPi 3b, but it’s running! Just plugged in my SiK module over USB at 56kbaud, and connected immediately and got data!

Is there any way to make it full screen? I’m using a 7" display, not optimal, but could be better utilized without the taskbar and window border. Kiosk mode would be ideal, might play with some things.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you for trying. That confirms what I thought, that the guide for installing mono needs to be updated. Also at the end where the guide says that you should deactivate openGL, that’s not needed/possible anymore.

Indeed it is a bit slow, even on a pi4. But it works and at least for my use case(slow boats) it’s absolutely ok. And there is also a new generation of raspberries coming up.

I’ll see when I can find some time to update the guide. It’s overdue really.

About the size: I know that you can change a lot of the screen sizes depending on your needs. Wether you need he Map, the parameters or the horizon. However I think it would be best to ask that in an appropriate thread/category.

Happy that it works though :slight_smile: I really like when people report back that it works and the guide was useful.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re welcome! I like trying things out and debugging to (that’s my job at work). The Pi 3b is somewhat slow, I was more or less trying to do what I can with some Rpi laying around. Going to try this, OpenHD and Rpanion. Might get a Pi4 or 5 to try out. I have a few sitting around gathering dust, one with a nice 7" LCD.

BTW, I did disable Open GL. It’s just not in the same place on the current raspbi-config. Under Advanced (option 6), A2 GL driver option, G1 legacy, disable.

I figured ask you about the screen, play with it some, and post if I can’t get it working better.

So for your guide, basically:
Install the latest Raspbian, get SSH and VNC working like you outlined.
Install Mono using the guide here:Download - Stable | Mono
Follow the rest of the guide (install Festival, disable open GL, download Mission planner, etc.)

I really appreciate the help, and for the guide.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

After three years, and quite some stuff that changed with MissionPlanner and even more so inside the RaspberryOS, it is time to update the Guide on how to install MissionPlanner on a Raspberry Pi (4).

there were reports, that it didn’t work anymore or people had problems following the guide and making it work.
it turned out, that quite a lot has changed inside the newer Raspberry OS, which actually makes it easier for us to install MissionPlanner.

as always there are some Pro’s and Con’s however.

on the Plus side:

• You don’t have to use an 32Bit OS anymore just for mono to work
  • we do not have to deactivate OpenGL anymore
  • The Raspberry Pi imager software makes Flashing a SD card very easy

on the other side:

• we can not use the official Mono framework for Raspbian because it still doesn’t seem to like 64 bit. so we have to use the debian version here, which seems to work.
  • i also had to use the (now outdated) raspberry OS “Bullseye”. because we know that it works stable on this OS and we still can use realVNC viewer.

Because: with the raspberry pi 5 around the corner, we can also use the newest Raspberry Pi OS “Bookworm” which, at the moment (until early 2024 probably), does not support realVNC viewer.
The 2 work arounds would be: disabling encryption (security risk) or using TigerVNC(not as easy as realVNC). This is only important if you need VNC anyway. But for a stable guide, OS “Bookworm” is not yet the way to go.

hence why i am looking for people that already have a Raspberry Pi 5 and are willing to test / provide info. I’m not sure yet whether Mono works with Bookworm or not. So the future will be exciting.

anyway. Long story short:
Here is the newest Guide on how to install MissionPlanner on Raspberry Pi 4 (Bullseye)V3_English
I hope this keeps on helping people.

this leaves me only to say: thanks for the kind words, help and the over 2500 Downloads in the past 3 years. That does fill me with joy.

cheers.

edit: quick update on the raspberry pi3B: if you install the 32bit version of Bullseye and then follow the mono Guide on: Mono for Raspbian 32Bit then it should work just fine with a Raspberry Pi 3B. (thanks to @frodus17 )

Edit: if some moderator could add the new link also to my main post, that would be much appreciated.

2 Likes