How to guide: Mission Planner on Raspberry Pi

Update: Download link has changed to Version 2.

Changes in Version 2:

• Step 10: Copy LibSkiaSharp.so is now obsolete for MissionPlanner-1.3.73 since it basically has integrated support for Raspberry Pi.
  • Step 10 now changed to step 11 and is a guide for Version 1.3.72 and older.

@ausphoto glad you could make it work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Minor Update:

• added German version.

Hello, error appears on this line:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3 FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.ZHuNDN9Sdo/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3 FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
gpg: “3” no es un identificador de clave válido: omitido
gpg: “FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF” no es un identificador de clave válido: omitido

please your help
Thank you

Hi @kerococoec

Did you Enter that line exactly as you copied it here in the forum?
Because inside the key number you do have a space like this “-recv-keys 3 FA7[…]”

Try deleting that space between “3” and “FA”. the number 3 belongs to the whole keynumber.
Like this “-recv-keys 3FA7[…]”

Cheers

Dear Holly918, thanks, thanks thanks.
It works perfect
raspberry pi 4, 4g ram, kernel 5.4, MissionPlanner 1.3.73, raspbian os
I think something slow
I will buy a raspberry pi of 8 gb ram
it will work amazing

please i beg your help
I need to connect the raspberry 4 on the ground to a 30 meter tower.
I have ubiquiti omnidirectional antennas on the tower
How do I connect the ubiquiti antenna with the raspberry pi 4 on the ground?
How do I connect the raspberry pi 4 navio 2, on-board computer drone with the tower’s ubiquiti antenna

I am a farmer in Ecuador - South America
My plants are coconut palms with heights from 5 meters to 30 meters
The coconut palms are all dying from different diseases, it is difficult to save them due to the height.
I bought an agricultural drone in China but it didn’t work
Chinese agricultural drones are for low crops.
It is very unstable at heights of 30 meters in front of the sea with constant winds.
The flight controller is proprietary Jiyi K3A brand that is already obsolete

I just bought the navio 2 flight controller to install it with the raspberry pi 4 and replace it with the Jiyi K3A

I beg your help how to link the raspberry pi 4 navio 2 on board drone with the tower and with the raspberry pi 4 on the ground using the ubiquiti antennas

Thank you for your prompt reply.

1 Like

Glad i could Help with installing MissionPlanner.

As for your navio 2 issue, i’d strongly recommend opening your own thread in the copter category or maybe also here under “mission planner”. I guess there are more talented people there, able to help. Unfortunately I’m not very experienced in this field.

Anyway, as far as I know you should be able to connect your raspberry ground station with an ethernet cable to your antenna. Your navio2 would need to have an corresponding antenna with the same frequency. (2.4Ghz I’m guessing?!)

You’d need to connect to your navio2 flightcomputer in mission planner via port eth0.

I’m not sure if this would work out easily however.

Edit: by the way. Don’t expect to much in respect to speed gain just by upgrading your ram. In the end the bottleneck still will be the processor. It will never be as fast as on a “real” computer.

By the way. Maybe this helps? Navio 2 Connection Problem

Hello

do you have a tutorial to install apm planner 2.0 without using mono?
apm planer for linux is lighter than missionPlaner using mono?

do you have a tutorial to install QGroundControl without using mono?
is there 1 apmplanner file in arm for raspberry?
is there 1 QgroundControl file in arm for raspberry?
thanks for your help

apm planner for linux has fewer options than mission planner?
For my agricultural application the only option I need is to turn the insecticide pump on and off.
I don’t need all the options in Mission Planner for windows
Thank you for all of your help

Hi Holly918,
Thank you very much for this great manual. Yesterday (still with version 1) I had installed the MP on a 4 GB pi 4 without any problems.
:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Connection via USB or TCP (to a computer running SITL) works. Unfortunately the connection via UDP does not work: MP crashes every time while the parameters are loaded.

@Rolf 'm afraid I can’t help very much with that issue. I didn’t test any of the sitl funtions yet.
Maybe someone over at Mission Planner on Raspberry Pi 4, no Luck might know more. When I find some time I’ll definitely look into it.

@kerococoec as far as I know, apm planner is basically just downloading, extracting and you’re good to go. Mono should not be needed. It is lighter and running better on a raspberry. That’s true. However you’ll be missing some functions.
Mission planner for example has a “secret” menu hidden under ctrl+f. E.g. to share your gps nmea protocol via bluetooth.
Apm planner does not have that.

I can’t say anything about Qgroundcontrol. Since I did not test it on a raspberry yet.

sitl will not work, the binarys are not compiled for RPI

For the avoidance of misunderstandings: MP crashes on the Raspberry when trying to establish a UDP connection to a real plane. ( Connection to a Windows computer with simulated MP/SITL aircraft via TCP or connection via usb-cable to a real aircraft worked)

Installed last night on Rpi3b+ and Buster.
Works slow but nice.
Cant wait get rpi4 8gb and install there.
Good job boys.thank you.:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

For those who willing to buy a 8G rpi4. To use ram above 4Gb you need a 64bit OS, not the 32 bit which is written in the guide. The 64bit raspbian avail only in test version at the moment, and there is a good chance that many of the components will not work perfectly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok.thanks for advice.

That’s actually true. As far as i tested, the raspbian OS 64bit works actually pretty good.
I simply did not cover it in this guide, since i did not manage to get MissionPlanner to work on the 64bit system.

If somebody manages to do so, i’d be glad to hear :slight_smile:

I’ve got MP running on my Pi 4 8GB with RaspianOS 64bit beta now, it is collecting map data from Google as we speak. Been at it for 2 days … :sunglasses:

Haven’t flown with it yet, but I did connect to my quad via the wifi board on my PixRacer.

Anyway, the main thing I had to do was change the mono sources.list entry to pull stable-buster instead of stable-raspianbuster.

There is a lot of video tearing in the Data screen mode tracking map window, and I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. It is driving me crazy because the map in the Plan screen doesn’t show any tearing. Using the 64bit version of the downloaded LibSkiaSharp.so shared library didn’t make any difference over the one supplied with MP.

Rick

1 Like

That’s great News! I’ll definitely look into it. When i can get it up and running i’ll make another 64bit Installation guide.

Downloading the libSkiaSharp.so is not necessary anymore since Michael added all needed .so files. If you look inside the MissionPlanner directory you’ll find an directory “Arm” and “arm64” with the .so file inside.

I’ll try to recreate your screen tearing problem. Maybe there is a solution for this problem.

Thanks for your input!

I spent a few hours today trying to get this working on a 4GB Pi4. Could not get MP to start using the mono installation as per the how-to doc, same as the one on the mono page. Ended up reflashing raspiOS and just installing mono using sudo apt install mono-complete which then let MP start up. Can’t seem to connect to a flight controller though, so not sure what’s going on.

I’m also trying to build a pi-based GCS but can’t see this working as a reliable solution right now. Thinking of switching to a latte panda or jetson instead.

Hi, have you looked at https://github.com/OpenHD/Open.HD/wiki might be an option for you. Will give you a few options for a ground station and also the possibility to control some outputs