How to dump logs in APM Planner 2.0

I’ve looked everywhere, but cannot find the logs on my mac after dumping them through the terminal.
Can someone please help me out?

Also I cannot find any documentation on APM Planner except a short unfinished one here planner2.ardupilot.com are there any other docs that would answer the above question?
Mac 10.8.5
APM Planner 2.0.7
thank you!

It will be in the dataflashlog directory. This is a subdirectory of apmplanner2 directory in you home folder.

Ie. ~/apmplanner2/dataflashlogs

Which is the same as /Users/username/apmplanner2/dataflashlogs

Bill,
Ah ha! Thank you, I’m just now getting back to this.

In the terminal window the logs are .bin and .log, however in the directory you listed they are .rlog and .tlog.

Why is the file extension different? Is something done to the logs to change them?

The tlogs are in the tlog directory. tlogs are Telemetry Logs and are the verbatim saving of the MAVLink telemetry stream from the vehicle.

.bin and .log are logs created on the vehicle. .bin is a binary form of .log and are identical in information.

AP2 can analyze dataflash logs. We are adding telemetry log (tlog) playback in the next release (hopefully)

Strange, I’ve got .tlogs in my dataflash directory.
And where does .rlog come from are they just .logs with a different extension?

You are using Mission Planner not APM Planner 2.0. We don’t have an rlog in AP2

I’m on a Mac, how could I be running MP?
It’s in the directory that you spec’d, .rlog and a .tlog.

This is quite strange, as I wrote the code to store the logs in those locations. And there is no .rlog extension we use ie. a search for tlog on the code returns github.com/diydrones/apm_planne … ef=cmdform

a search for .rlog turns up nothing github.com/diydrones/apm_planne … &type=Code

So i am not sure what is going on in your case. Only that if you ran Mission Planner is the past, that’s where the logs are coming from.

Can you send me your log.txt from ~/apmplanner2/ directory as that will help me confirm if your settings are not the same as default.

:slight_smile:

No problems, I’ll upload as soon as I get a chance.

Bill,
I’d like to make sure that I understand something:

When I’m in the terminal window, I see logs named 1.bin, 2.bin etc.
After dumping the logs I should see .bin and .log files in the …/dataflashlogs/ directory right???

Here you go.

So I downloaded some logs and have the .log files.
When I double click on them, they become .kmz
Now I cannot open them by double clicking on them.

What is that?

C_E

Sent from my iPad

[quote=“billbonney”]
AP2 can analyze dataflash logs. We are adding telemetry log (tlog) playback in the next release (hopefully)[/quote]

Is log playpack enabled/working? Looking through the release notes, I seem some comments, but when I try to load a tlog for playback, the .tlog files are all grayed out.

I’m using APM Planner 2.0.14 on Mac OS 10.9.4

Thanks,

John

JohnOCFII: tlog replay is enabled and working, you have to click on “Enable log replay” on the bottom of the graph view, and then load the log file via the button that will appear at the bottom. It is not entirely intuitive, and will be changed to be a bit easier to use soon.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not seeing a button to enable loading the log file. Here is a screen capture of the bottom of the APM window after I select “Enable Log Reply.” I must just not be seeing it.

Thanks,

John

[attachment=0]RC-APM screen.tiff[/attachment]

click ‘replay log file’ on the far right, and you will be prompted to select the log file to playback.

Excellent. Thank you.

Somehow my brain suggested “replay” would not work as I hadn’t yet “played” the log file.

John

sorry to hijack the thread, but I’ve flown with the APM Planner 2.0.14 and my ~/apmplanner2/dataflashlogs directory is empty (although live data is shown during flight).

Any clue? I do have 8 tlogs…