FX-79 Buffalo QuadPlane Conversion (Part 2)

Mine were cut to 800mm in length. Originally I did this for another project but they worked perfectly on the FX-79.

Do you think that 3 kg max vertical thrust is enough for 6Kg total weight ?

I used SunnySky X3508 700kv motors with 12" RC Timer t-style props on a 4s 8AH Lipo pack. SunnySky x3805 700kv on 4s with 12” props (times 4) provides 6.4kg (14lbs) thrust. I cannot remember the all-up weight. Perhaps it is posted above.

Sorry, I’m talking about vertical thrust, not horizontal thrust…

BTW : I have 8kg max horizontal thrust (GARTT ML4108 500KV 12x38" 6S 7Ah lipo)

I’m using the Turnigy SK3 3542-1250kv motor with the Turnigy AE-65A Brushless ESC . This combination provides 746 watts at 51 amps using an APC 10x6 e-prop with a 4s Lipo pack. I’m not sure what the thrust is to compare with your 8kg but I suspect that you’ll have plenty. Most of my flight is using less than half throttle.

What do you think about vtol tilting system ?

https://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-nimbus-vtol-tilting-system-combo.html

1 Like

It requires special software from Kris. APM Plane does not do that configuration.

My preference has been a 4+1 QuadCopter setup so that there is no servo controlling the motor direction.

Cheers!

Should I enable brake on stop on horizontal motors ?

I don’t use brake and it works fine. There is never any fast spinning or gyrocopter action.

Horizontal motors are running when the flying wing is in “plane mode”… ?

Yes, if needed. You can adjust these parameters.

1 Like

How have you fix the carbon rods… ?

Just what you see in posts #106 to #112 here in Part 1. The wing connection was much stiffer.

How have you fix the motors carbon rods ?

They are directly glued on the wings… ?

I glued the carbon bars directly to the foam body using Beacon Foam Tac. I then added a piece of balsa angle stock (later painted black) to the inside edge gluing it to the carbon bar wall and the foam body. Foam Tac works great on many surfaces like foam, carbon, and balsa.

Do you think that Beacon Foam Tac is better than Z-Poxy… ?

Carbon rods adding on wings solved the wingtip flex issue…?

Not better, but a better choice for the materials you are trying to glue. Either glue will work but I prefer to use Foam-Tac on foam models where the glue joints are exposed. They won’t turn yellow on you.

FOAM-TAC is perfect for all types of foam including EPP, EPO, DEPRON, ETC. It also works great on balsa wood, carbon fiber and 3D printed parts.

FOAM-TAC’S improved formula now contains UV blockers so that it can be used in the field in direct sunlight without any yellowing or degrading. We’ve also added a special adhesion promoter to make the glue even stronger and more durable than before.

*For RC Builders – Hands down, Foam-Tac is the best choice for building and repairing all parts of foam planes including motor mounts, control horns and rods, attaching servos, and tacking down wires.

Apparently. I haven’t had the FX-79 tuck since.

More longer carbon rods may be better ?

Hi fellow FX-79 Quadplane enthusiasts. I have been following this thread (and the previous one) for a quite a while and after being inspired by all the efforts within I am happy to present my own FX-79 Quadplane.
Specs:
Orange Cube - Here PRO GPS - Herelink Controller - Mauch Power module - Hereflow LIDAR. Aluminium Motor mount. 6S system.
It flies beautifully! Very Happy.

1 Like