Flyaway because of no receiver loss failsafe

@l3db6h,
The way would we figure out if the failsafe was enable or not from the tlogs is to use the MP’s Flight Data screen’s “Telemetry Logs” tag (bottom left of the screen). The push the “Tlog > Kml or Graph” button, then “Extract Params” and select the tlog. This would produce a text file that we can open and we should be able to see if the FS_THR_ENABLE parameter is set to a non-zero value. If it’s non-zero then it was enabled.

This is the .param file created from the telemetry logs.

2017-04-30 13-00-54.param (10.1 KB)

Lloyd,

Thanks for the log. I’m afraid it shows the RC failsafe was disabled.
FS_THR_ENABLE 0

By the way, we’ve enabled this by default in AC3.5.0-rc5 so it’s less likely to happen from now on.

Ah, the worst of news. I don’t understand how it came to be disabled, though. Radio FS was set to circle and polygon before setting off to the field, but not checked again prior to flight. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

If you have a devil’s touchpad like I have it’s really easy to change a parameter in the full parameters list accidentally with an unknown gesture.Then write another parameter and it gets changed without any knowledge of it happening.I try to be careful nowadays (and use a mouse where possible).

Circle and polygon are two different types of geofences. Neither have anything to do with the radio failsafe. Please go back and read http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/radio-failsafe.html#radio-failsafe to see how this works.

@Pedals2Paddles Yes, you are correct. I was getting the two issues I have mixed up. FS wasn’t set, or, more correctly, somehow became disabled. How it became disabled is something I can’t fathom.

The other issue I have is the geofence, both circle and polygon, is being ignored and I am able to fly straight through both in loiter mode. I haven’t tried any other mode yet, but this is something to go over in a new thread.

Then you probably also have FENCE_ACTION set for 0, which is report only. Setting it for 1 would be RTL (or land if there is no GPS).

That gives me something to try then, thanks. I have been charging settings through the GUI so far and setting the geofence to RTL/land, but perhaps setting this in the parameter list may make it ‘stick’, as it were.

This exact thing happened to me yesterday while flying my S500 with newly installed Radiolink Pixhawk. I am almost certain my receiver came disconnect because I’d seen that I had a lose connection earlier that day while in the field so not having correct tools I used tape to hold in Servo. That didn’t help! I had telemetry and my goggles where on and all the sudden I had no control and I looked at my transmitter and sure enough connection was lost. Nothing. My 600mw vtx kept me informed at what was going on up until it flew out of range. My quad kept flying forward pitch which was the last input it received and just kept going. I unfortunately wasn’t running a gs because I have minimosd with goggles and was using that that day. I usually always run my gs as well but go figure the day I don’t this happens.
The last image I received was it was at 300 feet and speed was around 30mph forward pitch. I also no for a fact I had FS set. That is one of the main things I worry about and check and double check. Throttle FS and battery FS where definitely set. So when my receiver came disconnected it should have don’t a RTL but it’s stated in hypermode/poshold mode and kept going. I lost over $500 worth of equipment including a brand new GoPro hero 3 that I had just purchased 2 days prior to this. I’ve never had issues like this with my APM fs’s
My guess is it kept flying do north until the battery failed then crashed in some wood that I have around my house. I’m sure it flew a good 2 or 3 miles before coming down. I haven’t heard anything from anyone saying they found so I’m guessing it’s up in a tree in the forest never to be seen again.

Post your last parameter file maybe there is something to see. Everyone saves those after each parameter change right?

The receiver coming unplugged is a major assumption. And it doesn’t seem like a practical scenario. It would execute the failsafe action. Or if disabled, simply fall out of the sky. There are no circumstances where disconnecting the receiver would continue flying at whatever control input was last seen.

It seems much more likely that you didn’t properly configure the receiver’s failsafe mode. It lost contact with the transmitter and was apparently set to maintain the last input.

Well it don’t matter at this point because it’s gone. All I no is I did and always do set my failsafes. I have had nothing but problems from day one out of that Radiolink Pixhawk. I don’t no why or if it’s just a bad clone. Don’t matter I’m staying with the APM from here on out and if I do get another fc it will either be a vector or A1 DJI. No offense but these clone flight boards are hit and miss Especially with the Pixhawk. Way to many knock off out there and I’m tired of throwing my money away. Unless you can possibly tell me where to get a decent Pixhawk. That be great.

I didn’t but will from here on out.

Well it don¢t matter at this point because it¢s gone. All I no is I did and
always do set my failsafes. I have had nothing but problems from day one out
of that Radiolink Pixhawk. I don¢t no why or if it¢s just a bad clone. Don¢t
matter I¢m staying with the APM from here on out and if I do get another fc
it will either be a vector or A1 DJI. No offense but these clone flight
boards are hit and miss Especially with the Pixhawk. Way to many knock off
out there and I¢m tired of throwing my money away. Unless you can possibly
tell me where to get a decent Pixhawk. That be great.

Most of us would recommend the Cube, I think.

It’s great your remember to set your failsafes. Had you tested them?

Do you have a .tlog of this event?

I would generally not recommend Radiolink brand anything let alone something as complex and critical as an autopilot. They do not exactly have a stellar track record of quality and honesty. So I guess it is entirely possible there was a hardware issue in play there too.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. I’m thinking maybe it was possibly something to do with compass. I did calibration and it was successful but on the hud the quad seemed to drift (ALOT). The first time when I first received my this Pixhawk I went through the setup and all seemed fine I went out to test and I had good lock 14 sats. I armed and looked at my gs and the home position was set way off by about 100’. This happened only that one time because I recalibrated and thought that fixed the problem because I tested and the home position was right that time but again even though the quad wasn’t in the air yet it was drifting on the hud.
I admit this was partially my fault for this fly away and I’m thinking to that there was possibly an issue with compass.
I just can’t figure out why when I hit RTL on my screen before I lost contact is still said hypermode when it should have been in RTL.
I can’t afford the cube unfortunately and honestly I don’t no if I want to take another chance with Pixhawk. I’m perfectly haptwitg APM 2.8. Even though they are also clones I’ve never had issues like I did with this Pixhawk.

look over here https://drotek.com/shop/en/

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately the price of all components on that site are way out of my price range other though it looks like great products and good site to purchase equipment but it’s just to high cost for me. I’m disabled and live on a small disability check and social security. I’ve been dealing with round cell LiPosarcoma/ cancer since 2010. I don’t expect pity. Anyway again thanks for link. I’ll keep it in mind maybe they’ll have a flash sale or something and I can get a decent setup. For now I just have to deal with the cheap knock off stuff and pray it works for me.
Thanks again.