Electric Swans with a problem

Interesting. I find that I have better success uploading at 115200 than 57600 using 3DR style 915MHz SIK radios. I get fewer mission upload timeout errors at the faster rate.

The Wi-Fi radios are good for 100m or so as long as there arent a lot of other things around, more if you have a decent base station AP.But I would change your SD cards, the unbranded ones supplied with most flight controllers are generally very poor quality.

it’s also a good idea to read back the mission right after you upload it to verify that they are all where they are supposed to be.

I don’t believe the baud rate is the problem, The usb is good up to 921600 so i doubt going to 57600 from 115200 will make any difference.

1 Like

Definitely, the cards will be replaced. On the other hand I´m looking for a solution to stream the choreography from a base station to the swans using guided mode. The solution with the waypoints on pixhawk has some advantages, its quite solid, not depending on any radio traffic (except the 868mhz for RTK). But it also has some disadvantages, its kind of unflexible and limited by the pixhawks max waypoints, which is around 650.

To get around the 650 waypoint limitation, you could use Lua scripting to load files sequentially, directly from the SD cards. I use that method on my mower with a high degree of success. You’d be surprised at how fast 200-300 waypoints can be loaded that way!

I agree that a guided mode solution sounds most advantageous, but I’m not sure how to approach synchronizing so many command streams.

I never used Lua yet. I thought you need at least a cube orange. The swans run on cube black.
But the other, bigger disadvantage of my current setup is the inflexibility. Means: All swans are syncronized with delay commands every few minutes. This delay comands wait for certain UTC times. That works quite good, as long as no swan is stopped by an obstacle or something, and therefore cannot reach the next delay waypoint in time. If so, the swan waits at this WP for the set UTC next day. The only way to bring it back into the choreography is to upload a new WP file.
Having it syncronized and streamed from a base station would be much more flexible. But I havn´t a technical solution yet.

Wi-Fi would give you the range if you used decent high end access point like Ubiquiti and some directional antennas pointed out over the water 300-400m should be possible, more if you get your base station up on a mast. 5ghz has a lot more separate channels so you’re less lightly to get interference compared to 2.4 where there are only 3 non overlapping channels, if there is a lot of people standing around with wifi and bluetooth on you could loose connection with them.

there is 900mhz wifi equipment but its only legal in the US and its very expensive.

Scripting is available on the Cube Black. It well exceeds the min specs.

Umm… I thought it was disabled by default. It can be done of course. Enabling scripting isn’t a feature of the build server (maybe on purpose).

I think to enable scripting for CubeBlack you have to do some pretty hard cuts on features to ensure available RAM and flash is ok.

1 Like

I actually have branch to increase this 650 limitation and allow loading from a SD card natively without a script. The code isn’t far along though…

1 Like

My mistake. I simply looked at the Cube Black specs and made an assumption.

Native SD mission loading sounds great, though!