Differential Steering w/Torqeedo Motors

Hi there are you interested in publishing your findings or selling your adaptors? Cheers

Really sorry about the delay on this. I’ve started again on trying to add multi-torqeedo support. I hope it won’t take me too long.

1 Like

@andrewjamez (and anyone else interested),

I’ve completed the “frontend/backend split” that was required to support multiple Torqeedo motors (see PR here).

I’ve tested it in SITL and I’m fairly confident that it will work but it needs testing on real hardware now. I’d do it myself but my boat is not readily accessible to me at the moment so does anyone else have a vehicle they could test with? Ideally that would be a boat with two Torqeedo motors but even just a single motor would be good enough I think.

Please tell me which autopilot you’re using and I can provide a Rover-4.6.0-dev firmware.

Thanks!

Hi Randy, Thanks so much for your looking at this again. We would be happy to try out the firmware.
The boat currently has an old pre cube Pixhawk. We have yet to acquire the RS485 converters but Im pretty sure I can source all the parts locally and have a pair soldered together in a reasonably short time frame. I do like the cleanliness of the board you designed but the Japan Drones website throws all kinds of security warnings at us… or is it ok to ignore those?

Regards, Andrew

1 Like

Hi @andrewjamez,

I don’t know about the japandrones.com security warnings (I don’t see them) but you could just email info@japandrones.com if you’d like to order them without going through the store (which is probably all Japanese and wouldn’t let you enter an address outside of Japan). My little company provides the boards mostly as a service and I think you may struggle to make DIY boards. I could be wrong of course but in my limited experience supporting the Torqeedo motors users normally struggle because of some impossible-to-diagnose issue with their DIY adapter boards.

In any case, here is a Rover-4.6.0-dev binary for the Pixhawk1 with the multi-Torqeedo support added

Thanks so much Randy, I will endeavor to get the ttl boards from Japan Drones. Andrew

1 Like