Cube orange randomly reset parameter to default

Hi All,

We have noticed the issue as well. It occurred with an orange cube on a Kore carrier board during setup of a new copter. The parameters were written to the cube while on the bench. The cube was then installed into the aircraft during assembly. On first power-up with batteries it was noticed that all of the parameters had been reset.

Log disarmed was enabled so we have a log file from before and after the even. The second log file has the parameters reset as well as a large gap that is not fully explained. It may have been when we were writing the parameter back onto the aircraft from a saved file.

We will try to reproduce the issue and isolate the steps required. We’ll be standing by to do more testing if there’s anything you’d like us to try as well.

Params Fine:
https://drive.google.com/a/bfdsystems.com/file/d/1KQgFmOq3dXyISp5hLDLZ0f0kEgF-itKo/view?usp=sharing

Params Reset:
https://drive.google.com/a/bfdsystems.com/file/d/1KXqD-c8N9IwvmxxhdatVrQeDGl21IR0u/view?usp=sharing

we really need to find a way to reproduce this so we can track it down. Does your comment imply that happened to you without a kore carrier?
Dan from spektreworks has tried to reproduce this using a Kore carrier but hasn’t had any success reproducing. If anyone who can reproduce it can please try to work out the minimum hardware setup to reproduce that would be appreciated.

1 Like

I noticed a similar issue the last few days after upgrade to current stable, Orange Cube. Random disconnects, never happened before.

I noticed a similar issue the last few days after upgrade to current stable, Orange Cube. Random disconnects, never happened before.

Random telemetry disconnects or parameter resets? Which carrier board?

USB random disconnects, orange cube,Standard Carrier with ADSB. No parameter resets. Just, disconnects and I have to click connect again. The Cube not rebooting, just disconnecting. I haven’t changed anything in the computer I’m using. There’s now another update out so I’ll try that and if it’s still doing it I’ll report back.

@tridge Appologies for slow reply.

The guys setting up the copter using the kore carrier board were getting re-sets every few hours as they applied parameters during the config.

They swapped the orange for a new black cube on the same kore board and all works fine.

I have tried to replicate the param reset with just the cube on my desk with a USB cable but it is no-longer resetting in this configuration. I have another kore board on a box, I will try and see if I can make it reset again.

So as you may have heard, @tridge with help from UAV Exploration (an ArduPilot Partner) has gotten to the bottom of the parameter reset issue and the fix will be included in Copter-4.0.4 and Plane-4.0.6.

My understanding is the issue is that while the bootloader is active, one of the communication lines to the FRAM is “floating” which, in very rare cases, can lead to garbage data being sent into it which can cause a reset.

The solution is to update the bootloader so we’ve created a wiki page here which shows how you can do this in case you want to do this before the official release go out. We would appreciate some extra testing so if you give it a try please report back here on how it goes. Before you do this I have to warn you that bootloaders are a sensitive bit of code and there is a small possibility that you could “brick” your board.

6 Likes

That is great news. Good on you guys for finding this elusive bug.

1 Like

great news, this problem happened to me also sometime.

1 Like

@rmackay9

We have this problem also with 2 drones with orange cube. Is it needed to install the 4.04 dev version and than update the bootloader as shown in the video?

@Christian81,

Yes, the procedure on the wiki page is the way to go. Once Copter-4.0.4 is released you won’t need to load the dev version… but for now the dev version is the only one that has the fixed bootloader included.

I’ve upgrade cube orange to 4.0.4dev with bootloader and it reset to std params again after 10-15 power up.

We did the update too, so far we did not had any more resets with the 2 new drones.

I am currently having the same issue. My perms have reset back to default 4 time now. I am using both the Kore carrier board and Orange Cube.
I have just came in to this thread.

Is there a fix for this??

Hi Michael,

the solution with the latest DEV Firmware worked fine for us, no more resets. But because it is not a stable release, maybe not the perfect solution for everyone.

The fix is actually to the bootloader and there are upgrade instructions here on the wiki. Please note that once that bootloader upgrade is done you can switch back to using Copter-4.0.3.

So to explain a little more deeply, the issue you’re likely facing is with a “floating” pin connected to the FRAM chip while the bootloader is running. The updated bootloader fixes this problem. The bootloader is a separate firmware that we bundle up with the main ArduPilot flightcode firmware but it’s not installed unless the user actively asks for it to be installed (see wiki linked above). So you can temporarily upgrade to the development firmware, trigger the bootloader upgrade, then re-install the stable firmware and it should all be fine.

Copter-4.0.4-rc1 also includes the new bootloader and will be released for beta testing later this week.

1 Like

That is good to know, that i can switch back after the Boot loader Update! Because we had problems with the RM3100 in the dev Version.

OK, great! I upgraded the boot loader and the firmware to version 4.0.4. All seems to be fine now. I have modified the parameters and so far no reset.
So what you were saying if I go back to a stable version of the firmware I will not lose my parameters?

@Michael_Kaplan,

Yes, you should be able to go back to stable Copter-4.0.3 and you won’t lose any parameters.

Thank you sir I appreciate your assistance and I am looking forward to many enjoyable flights.