Copter-4.5.0-beta1 available for beta testing!

@rmackay9 - thanks to you and all the developers for making ArduCopter a great resource!

Could you describe the changes related to ROS2/DDS support, from v4.4.4? Is DDS not supported on v4.4.4?

Thanks!

No it is not. You need ArduCopter 4.5.0-beta1 or newer.

Is this directed to me?

yes, To you @Quadzilla and is meant in a positive way.

1 Like

Do you mean that your problems are now solved?

@JadeLogan,

I think that Ryan (maintainer of AP’s ROS libraries) will provide more details on the ROS2/DDS changes in the near future. Until then our ROS wiki pages have some setup information.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t say I’ve solved all the issues. But by following this guide step by step, I’m gaining a deeper understanding of how Ardupilot works. Today, I went flying and got a log file to analyze vibrations and fine-tune the filters.

I dropped the 6 and 1 beta esc and the flywoo today that are s type and for testing installed a 32 bit esc and no arm spin was needed. The 32 bit made the calibration sound we all like.
Andy said no change but i think we need to look into why the 6 and 1 will not calibrate. For now i have to use 6 singles escs on the Y6. I can use the beta 6 and 1 with the high arm spin but it flys odd.

PR is created for the ROS 2 release notes. The wiki will have more information on what you can do with ROS.

1 Like

How do i use this? and if i plug a card with the new FW will it change the old FW without asking?

The tuning guide has all the *_SMAX parameters set to 25. Does that apply equally to all drones regardless of size? Can those values be changed after tuning as a form of desync protection without needing any changes to the tune?

Any thoughts on BLHeli_32 32.10?

The tuning guide has all the *_SMAX parameters set to 25. Does that apply equally to all drones regardless of size?

SMAX is used to protect against PID oscillation. It backs off the PIDs if oscillation above the configured frequency (that’s what the value is) occurs. You want it to set as low as is reasonable for your vehicle. Smaller, lighter more agile vehicles are likely to need a higher value as its technically a rate of change that it is limiting. A value of 25 is likely to be high enough for most applications and low enough to prevent damage but for larger vehicles a lower value might be appropriate. I tend to set it high as an insurance policy - 25Hz is not going to damage my motors, but 100Hz might, so I usually pick a high value like 50.

Can those values be changed after tuning as a form of desync protection without needing any changes to the tune?

Yes

Hi @Quadzilla,

Here are the instructions for flashing the firmware from and SD card (written by @peterbarker)

Are the _SMAX units really Hz? If yes, than that is missing in the param metadata.

I mean yes, but no. I think technically no, but thinking about it as Hz is an easy way to understand what it does.