Copter-4.4.0-beta1 available for beta testing

I removed the micro SD card from the flight computer and the error disappeared.
I’ll be doing a test flight soon.

1 Like

Well I took out a quad that have not flown in over 3-4 years and it flew great. Even tuned the yaw d-term and had no issues. tested a cpl auto missions, guided mode and was playing with the pilot_speed_up and angle_max to get the speeds I want. I must say WOW to be able to take this out of the closet and upload and fly without a lot of updating or reconfiguring was great (I will admit that I had kept up with most major firmware updates just never got out to fly) thanks ya’ll really great job. S-curves are a beauty very nice its been a long while since I could make it to the ranch and really have some fun and not worry about anything or anyone around! I have attached 3 logs from this test which was 2 batteries (old not that great ones), this quad was pretty much my copy of a M100 hahaha even has the M100 motor boom on it and a very close replica of the M100 body as well just with better brains. It actually has a what I think is a radiolink pixhawk clone as I use the 1M firmware. I have 3 other quads 5" and two 6" that I’ll throw this beta on and fly today as well. Oppps I also forgot to reset my initial setup parameters once I learned hover. The log labeled 13in_during_yaw-d-tune.bin has the successful yaw d-term tune and some post tune flying after tune was saved. the other logs are all pre tune flying.

1 Like

@406FPV,

Thanks very much for testing and reporting back!

Hi all
I maked an custom build on Beta Build Server fot Matek-405 TE.
Then check all params in Config
I don’t know what’s wrong but copter wom’t fly well and crash.
Unfortunately logs not saved.
Copter was stable but tryed to moove in random directions even in althold.
Is everything ok with Beta Build Server?

Hi @rmackay9 ,
Do you have any information about Gremsy Pixy WE, is it supported in 4.4?
I have already reported that it doesn’t work with 4.3 firmware here:

Thank you!

@rmackay9
I have had some issues with the yaw-d term autotune on my smaller quads adding in some oscillations while doing autotune that I am not sure how or why. had no issues on the larger 13" prop drone yesterday. The one that I flew today and did d-term autotune on was a 5" quad with a pixracer(photo attached). I think I have it tuned ok might be able to get the filters tuned a bit better but in general it flies very well. The logs for the 5" and 6" are here and the name of each should be pretty self explanatory. I also had this oscillation happen on another 6" quad but I may have to dig in the logs to find the correct ones but it is exactly as this 5" one did, got good GPS lock and initiated the yaw-d term autotune from loiter flight mode everything goes fine until later on then some oscillations start to happen mid tune and I aborted the tune. I have also added in 3 flight logs to the above folder for the 6in quad. they are labeled 5in and 6in. I have another 6in quad that is also what I think tuned pretty well that I can do some testing on as well.

I am currently having discussions with Leonard about the correct procedure to tune yaw D as I have a quad where it doesn’t work at all. Still investigating …

3 Likes

Here is my log. Maybe he can help identify and fix the error.

I experienced some issues with it on a quad with 11” tri-blade props. The tune is really good so far as I can tell but I was curious to try the new routine. It would eventually begin oscillating after a few Yaw-D iterations to the point where I had to cancel out and land. Very repeatable. This was a few weeks ago on a dev build, but I don’t think the Yaw-D code changed since then.

I have since broken a couple of props doing stupid human tricks, and the logs from those problematic flights are buried someplace. I can provide logs once it’s airborne again (soon).

I decided to just fly that other quad today and get some magfit logs to tighten everything up and ran into an odd internal error 0x800 and some WDG issues. I was trying to solve a mavFTP failed to initialize and then ran into this problem not sure if its 4.4.0 beta1 related as I have 2 other pixracers from mrobotics not having this issue. I have uploaded a crash_dump and a photo of the odd errors. The other 2 quads are pretty much identical other than prop size.
crash_dump.bin (224.8 KB)

I have managed to reproduce the WDG on this one particular setup not sure why or how. the brains are a pixracer from mrobotics with crossfire running the latest version of RX/TX firmware from TBS 6.19. When I power this one up without my TX module on everything works fine as you can see from this tlog
2023-04-30 05-36-59.tlog (126.0 KB).
But when I power my TX module then plug the FC in via USB this is where things go crazy as seen from this tlog
2023-04-30 05-34-16.tlog (270.7 KB).
I have logging disarm turned on but it does not work while all this WDG is happening. Which oddly enough I have 2 other quads with exact same brains and they have not done this ever. Attched below is a parameter file for the problem child. If it is powered via a battery then hooked to USB I do not get any issues connects all good but do get failed to initialize mavftp.
210_pixracer_WDG.param (17.3 KB)

1 Like

@406FPV,

Ok, watchdogs are serious. It’s great that it can be reproduced and that you’ve provided logs though. I’ve added to our 4.4 issues list.

P.S. if you have an onboard .bin log that would be great too but that is probably not a blocker for us investigating this.

@406FPV many thanks for reporting this watchdog. Your crash_dump.bin allowed us to find the problem and we have done a PR to fix it here:

the problem was you ran out of memory and were unable to allocate both EKF3 cores. We were missing a check in logging for the allocation failure, so it tried to log EKF3 data from a NULL pointer.
@rmackay9 now we need to work out if 4.4 is using an unreasonable amount of memory

1 Like

@406FPV please test this fixed firmware:
http://uav.tridgell.net/tmp/copter-pixracer-bdshot-4.4-beta1-fixed-watchdog.apj
you will need to reduce memory usage to make EKF3 work

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve given the new version a try on two X8 copters with Cuav Nora (non-plus) FC. One is flying well, another one had bad problems with maintaining altitude in the Loiter mode. I’ve noticed that out of three barometers, the values reported by the one nr 0 are different from the other ones. Also, the fused (reported) altitude value is sometimes well below 0.

@tridge
I am not sure what’s going on with the EKF3 not enough memory. I have not to my knowledge changed anything among all three of these that I can think of that would cause this as the other 2 have not exhibited this same behavior. Can you point me in the right direction to some parameters that would cause not enough memory. I have loaded that firmware and no longer get the WDG. But still cannot find what would be causing the ekf3 not enough mem. I have attached some logs but logging still seems to be funky with dates of 1969 and 1979.
log 1
log 2

Edit: duh logs will have odd dates when there is no GPS fix hahaha not sure why this never dawned on me!

The allocation of cores is not deterministic but somewhat timing related, so it could just be that this board is unlucky because the EKF gets allocated later than other things that will disable themselves if they can’t get the memory they need. I actually made some changes to fix this ages ago, but actually the proper solution is to make sure that all boards have appropriate free memory for the features they enable. I suspect something is taking a little more memory in 4.4 and this is what has pushed things over the edge.

1 Like

@maciek252,

Thanks very much for testing 4.4 and providing feedback.

Any chance you could post a .bin log? It could be an sensor issue but it could also be a control or motor output issue so a log will help figure out where the problem is. Thanks again.

I’ve thought I’ve attached them, trying once more. I was on a bad quality gprs connection.

After changing the main baro to 1 all was fine again.

1 Like

Hi people.
Is Custom build server ok or in service?
I make build but folder with SW give me Error 404. Same problem with Beta SW custom build server

Also I ask to unlock Wind Estimation for small boards like Matek-405
Thanks.

1 Like