Cant get copter to orbit POI

DO_SET_ROI point is inserted by default by the editor (Tower). IMHO it is a way to have your copter looking towards the center of the circle.

It is a problem if you want to have the camera looking straight ahead of your copter (same level) as DO_SET_ROI is set with relative altitude = 0, so your camera is pointing towards the center of the circle at ground level…

It may be necessary to insert more DO_SET ROI commands with altitude changes.

Marc

Ill replecate the setup you’ve provided and see how it acts.

If I run into any issues I’ll let you guys know
Thanks for helping out with this. Its not really clearly stated anywhere.

There shouldn’t be any need for the do-set-roi because Loiter-turns (aka Circle) points to the center of the circle by default… although it’s possible it may improve the copter’s ability to point right at the center of the circle… it has a tendency to point just a little to the right of the circle center (if it’s flying clockwise). It’s on the to-do list to improve the pointing performance but perhaps adding the do-set-roi is a good work around for now.

Thanks for the clarification…but I guess the overwhelming question now is what the heck does ROI do then? It sounds incredibly useless at this point. Does it do anything that a standard way point wont do?
In what situation would one use ROI??

Thanks again!

This is how I use ROI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkn9vAwrthU

It locks the camera to the ROI as the quad moves around it, I find it to be a great feature personally.

By changing to a circle mode from guided mode, the drone simply just rotates in a circle (without the nose pointed to the centre of the circle).

Any idea what went wrong for my case? Is there any param I need to set?

Also, setting the radius to zero, the drone simply just lands if I do not set the PILOT_VELZ_MAX to 0. If I do, it simply just loiters (if the radius is not big enough). Based on the ardupilot documentation, the drone should rotate with the nose pointing to the centre. Please advice.