Cannot Arm nor change mode (GUIDED) with Mavros and ArduRover 4.0

Oh I had that set already in a previous attempt and I just couldn’t change to GUIDED. But I’ll try it again this evening.

But in my particular case I already have the motors installed (rear and front axis), so I’m tempted to use something like this. Unless for some reason you say… “That’s a terrible idea!!” :slight_smile:

By the way, you’ve mentioned Rover 4.1. Is that an official release? At least from Mission Planner it doesn’t seem to be available yet, although I can always get it from GitHub and build it myself. Is that what you meant?

1 Like

@Carlos_Vicente,

I’m afraid I don’t have any experience with wheel encoders besides the one that came pre-installed on these motors.

Rover-4.1 should be available from MP’s Firmware Install screen if you press Ctrl-Q. It has not been official released yet so it should be considered “alpha” code and is only lightly tested by our autotest suite and developers.

@rmackay9
Ctrl-Q… another lesson learned for me.

Does that mean that GPS/Non-GPS transition won’t work as good with 4.0, or it won’t work at all?

@Carlos_Vicente,

GPS/Non-GPS transitions will only work with 4.1.

@rmackay9,
Well… in that case there’s no doubt I’ll give 4.1 a go.

By the way… I’ve tried to set EK2_GPS_TYPE=3 once again and I confirm that it doesn’t allow me to change mode to GUIDED.

The vehicle needs to appear on the map. If it doesn’t then it won’t allow entering Guided mode.

Yeah… I’ve tried to provide an EK2 origin, but the FC just ignores me (from both MP and mavros). I don’t even get an error message.

Just to clarify, you’ve said that GPS/Non-GPS transitions only work on 4.1, but if we’re talking about Non-GPS positioning only, will I be able (without setting anything on EK3) to set an origin in EK2 while EK2_GPS_TYPE=3?

@Carlos_Vicente,

Yes, I think you should be able to set the origin if EK2_GPS_TYPE = 3 and there’s no GPS attached to the autopilot.

It might be good to provide an onboard log file with LOG_DISARMED = 1 if this doesn’t work.

At this point I think it’s probably best to move to Rover-4.1 and use EKF3 but it’s up to you.

Hi @rmackay9,
Yes indeed. I’ve given another go this evening at Rover 4.0, but I think I’ll move toward Rover 4.1. as suggested. I will also give a go on creating own node, at least I will be closer to what I want to achieve for whenever my rotary encoders arrive.

Hi,
This thread has been very helpful to me. Thank you!
@rmackay9 I followed all the instructions to setup Wheel Encoders with Rover 4.1.0 , but it seems like the wiki for setting up wheel encoders for Rover 4.1.0 is outdated.
Following is my current setup to make the wheel encoders work:
AHRS_EKF_TYPE = 3
EK3_ENABLE = 1
GPS_TYPE = 0
EK3_SRC2_ POSXY = 6
EK3_SRC2_POSZ = 1
EK3_SRC2_VELXY = 6
EK3_SRC2_VELZ = 6
EK3_SRC_OPTIONS = 0

I also set the home position and EKF origin on the map but the vehicle is still not showing up on the map. Since, the vehicle is not showing up on the map I am still not able to switch to “GUIDED” mode. Please help!

@Rishi_Patil,

I’ve fixed up the wheel encoder wiki page with the correct EKF3_SRCx parameter values. In particular EK3_SRCx_VELXY should be set to “7” (WheelEncoder).