ArduCopter 4.0 Heli Summary of Changes

Protection was put into switches.cpp for 3.6 to protect against out-of-bounds values on all aux switches.

4.0 is different because the aux switch code was moved to the RC_Channel object.

Users going from 3.6 to 4.0, be sure to check the scaling on all your settings, especially throttle, before flying - most of these are in the Heli Setup in QGroundControl.

The Heli Setup for 4.0 mostly works except for a couple items. I have a working version of the Heli Setup for QGC on my Development master HEAD. I have been discussing some changes with Bill that he would like made to the Heli Setup for 4.0. I am helping with that. As soon as I get those done and tested I will PR them to the mavlink/qgroundcontrol project so @DonLakeFlyer can get them into the Daily Builds for 4.0 beta testers.

1 Like

The changes to QGroundControl have been merged to mavlink master. So users that are testing the 4.0 beta’s now have a working heli setup, and convenient page to make heli settings

This is available in the QGroundControl Daily Builds -> for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android for beta testers. Note that the QGC version for 4.0 will refuse to display the heli setup unless you are running Copter 4.0 or newer. For Copter 3.6 continue to use QGC version 3.5.5.

All pilots should be aware that the heli setup in Mission Planner does not work and could make unwanted settings to your helicopter that could crash it. Only QGC heli setup has officially been supported since Copter 3.6.

Edit Tue Nov 19:
Bill indicated to me that he may be able to get something done with the heli setup in Mission Planner so it is compatible with Copter 4.0. I do not have a working installation of Mission Planner to test, but Bill indicated that at least on SITL the current page does not appear to work at all with 4.0. So there is likely little danger in a user trying to make settings with it at the present time until it gets fixed.