Arduboat RTL on GPS loss

Hi @JFreyWM,

I’m afraid that with the noise levels of commonly use IMUs (gyros and accels) without sensors proviing absolute position or velocity (e.g. GPS, airspeed, etc) the EKF’s estimates climb to impossible values within 10 to 20 seconds.

Hi @rk425,

The EKF can fuse position and velocity from different sensors at the same time (e.g. GPS position + wheel encoder velocity). It can also fuse velocities from multiple sensors at the same time (e.g. GPS velocity + wheel encoder velocity).

When I was testing GPS + wheel encoders I used a lua script to automatically switch between them because I didn’t want bad GPS data getting in there and messing up the estimate.

The EKF internally switches between an absolute position mode and a relative position mode depending upon what sensor data it is receiving. So if the GPS data stops, it will switch in to the relative position mode and continue providing position and velocity estimates that are then consumed by the navigation controllers.

Hope that helps…

Thanks for that info, that helps greatly. Is there a way I can private message you, to discuss some more technical aspects of the EKF, and without having to burden everyone on this thread?

Hi @rk425,

This discuss forum supports PM so you could send a message using that. In general I prefer to communicate in public because the discussion is kept and may be of use to others in the future.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the follow up.