Ardu Tricopter wiring etc

[quote=“OtherHand”][quote=“sdodd”]
It was also suggested to prevent red wire connection for the afros. I haven’t decided on how to non-destructively do that. [/quote]
It’s easy to remove the center wire from a servo connector. Simply take a small pointed object, like a straight pin, and press in the center wire’s retaining clip that’s in the opening on the face of the servo connector housing while lightly pulling the center wire out. It’s sort of difficult to describe verbally but very easy do actually do. Just push down the retention tab while pulling the wire out. Then fold it back and tape it to the servo wire. If you decide you even need it again you can just push it back into the servo connector housing and it will lock back into place.[/quote]

Hey thanks. Just what the doctor ordered.

But I still wonder why the hying won’t arm just becasue I put the BEC on it. Is there something confusing the APM? In my world 5.14 v is still 5.14 v no matter what you connect to it.

I am always reluctant to mess with small parts because I live on the ocean and it is 150 miles to an electronics sore. :cry:

S

My suggestion would be to hook it up via a USB cable to Mission Planner running on a PC. Looking at the HUD screen, you can try arming and it will display “Armed” if it really is. You do this without the main battery being connected. The USB powers the APM and RC receiver. If you’re not seeing “Armed”, then you’ll have to figure out why. BTW, you know that depending upon the servo you may have to reverse the servo channel on your RC transmitter to get it to pivot the right way? This means to arm you have to move the yaw stick in a direction opposite what the Wiki says. So you need to try arming by moving the stick in both directions. You may or may not need to do a reversal of either/or the APM and RC Rx yaw channel.

Tricopters are a little more complicated to set up than quads for this reason.

[quote=“OtherHand”]My suggestion would be to hook it up via a USB cable to Mission Planner running on a PC. Looking at the HUD screen, you can try arming and it will display “Armed” if it really is. You do this without the main battery being connected. The USB powers the APM and RC receiver. If you’re not seeing “Armed”, then you’ll have to figure out why. BTW, you know that depending upon the servo you may have to reverse the servo channel on your RC transmitter to get it to pivot the right way? This means to arm you have to move the yaw stick in a direction opposite what the Wiki says. So you need to try arming by moving the stick in both directions. You may or may not need to do a reversal of either/or the APM and RC Rx yaw channel.

Tricopters are a little more complicated to set up than quads for this reason.[/quote]

yes i am aware of this except that you can arm without the battery. and i have seen it rport armed but do nothing and other times work. :slight_smile:

[quote=“OtherHand”][quote=“sdodd”]
It was also suggested to prevent red wire connection for the afros. I haven’t decided on how to non-destructively do that. [/quote]
It’s easy to remove the center wire from a servo connector. Simply take a small pointed object, like a straight pin, and press in the center wire’s retaining clip that’s in the opening on the face of the servo connector housing while lightly pulling the center wire out. It’s sort of difficult to describe verbally but very easy do actually do. Just push down the retention tab while pulling the wire out. Then fold it back and tape it to the servo wire. If you decide you even need it again you can just push it back into the servo connector housing and it will lock back into place.[/quote]

I have a brief questions here. I am playing around with a KK board as well. Is it also correct to power it with a BEC and use only the ground and signal wires of the ESCs?

S

[quote=“OtherHand”]Possibly your problem. Do you have the red wire (the center wire in the servo connector) plugged in to the output rail from at least one of your ESCs?..

… a small, cheap 5 volt BEC capable of at least 2 amps and plug it into any of your unused output slots. Personally, I’d do the latter.[/quote]

Good information. I don’t see an update from me here. Soooo, I do have an SBEC in the system now. I am a great believer in redundancy for power supply on anything. I also ordered a new servo. That seems the only way to “test” the thing. But I spent some time going through the KK menus a lot and that was a good thing.

Having used only PC software based configuration systems, I gotta say I like the onboard field adjustable theory a lot.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

S

[quote=“sdodd”][quote=“OtherHand”]Possibly your problem. Do you have the red wire (the center wire in the servo connector) plugged in to the output rail from at least one of your ESCs?..

… a small, cheap 5 volt BEC capable of at least 2 amps and plug it into any of your unused output slots. Personally, I’d do the latter.[/quote]

Good information. I don’t see an update from me here. Soooo, I do have an SBEC in the system now. I am a great believer in redundancy for power supply on anything. I also ordered a new servo. That seems the only way to “test” the thing. But I spent some time going through the KK menus a lot and that was a good thing.

Having used only PC software based configuration systems, I gotta say I like the onboard field adjustable theory a lot.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

S[/quote]

As it turns out the servo was faulty. I replaced it and yaw began to operate. It remains to be seen if I have it correctly configured.

S