Y6 Trying to flip while in the air

Hi guys,

Yesterday I installed 3.2 on my Y6 B type frame. I’m very happy with how it flies in Stab, expect that sometimes it’s trying to flip on the roll axis and I have to fight to stabilize it again. This just seems to happen randomly… here are the logs and I suspect a bas ESC on motors 5 or 6.

Any ideas ? Attached are the log files.
Thanks in advance !
Cyril

It did it again. This time I could not recover it and it crashed : 3 motor mounts and 3 props broken. Attached the logs of the flight. Help needed !

Thanks

Good afternoon,
I haven’t looked at your logs as I don’t have confidence that I would be able to find anything useful to tell you about them, and with a 1yo to take care of, my time staring at numbers is fairly limited. I did want to comment about the motor mounts since you say you broke several of them. In my build I looked at those and went “uhhh…what???” then had to scour the manual trying to figure out what exactly they were :laughing: anyways, I ultimately eliminated them and instead used the piece that came with the prop adapter…The only ‘modification’ required for them to fit is the plastic spacer that goes on the end needs to have a chunk taken out of each end, so that it fits into the arm about 1/3 of the way. This places the tube in the correct position to provide a small shred of support, but I am relying on locktight to hold it together rather than torque as the whole thing would crumple if you used just torque. If your interested, I can post a close up pic of my assembled arms.

Hi Cirilo,

I had a look and I can’t find any problems with the program. The controller lost control, it knew it lost control, and it took appropriate action to fix it, but that was ineffective. If flipped left. It might have been a problem with the motor, prop or ESC, I can’t really say.

Your vibrations do seem a bit high-ish, but that shouldn’t normally cause a full flip, just poor control.

Sorry, not much I can do with this one.

Rob

Hi Cirilo,
I am having the same issue. I have replaced both ESC and motor No.6 (Bottom left) as it was obviously the only one losing sync on the bench. I also had a flip and crash.
I thought it was ESC related so I swapped out the ESC. No change,
Swapped out Motor, no change.
Swapped ESC/Motor 5 for ESC/Motor 6and still problem with motor no6.
Swapped out Pixhawk and still no change although it was a bit better.
Reverted to 3.1.5 and it seems to have gone away.
Back to 3.2 and it did it again.
Sounds like we are having similar issues. I have emailed 3DR help and am waiting a reply.
My quad works fine n 3.2 with Pixhawk so I am wondering if it is related to the Y6B?
I have been working on it for days and I cant seem to see any issues in the logs. I can see when motor 6 gives up and loses sync the other motors respond as expected. RC input is fine and all other motors track as expected.
Do you notice that after running for a couple of minutes the low end throttle response seems to change and the motors jump from zero up to about 30%?

Alex

Cirilo,

Your log looks suspiciously like mine. Is anyone else having this issue?

Did a bit more testing and I was wondering what you minimum throttle is set at?
Increasing this seemed to have helped but I have jumped the gun before so I will test some more. Just wondering what you was set at?

I have noticed a couple of people having a similar issue with Motor #6 on a hex, but I can’t understand what the problem is there’s really nothing special or different about Motor #6 in the code, or in the Pixhawk circuitry.

I read your notes and several comments. Just to eliminate a “not always obvious problem” check the torque your prop nuts. Assuming you have a single nut type. Although I believe this problem will also show in the log as a loss of thrust.

SC

[quote=“cirilo”]Hi guys,

Yesterday I installed 3.2 on my Y6 B type frame. I’m very happy with how it flies in Stab, expect that sometimes it’s trying to flip on the roll axis and I have to fight to stabilize it again. This just seems to happen randomly… here are the logs and I suspect a bas ESC on motors 5 or 6.

Any ideas ? Attached are the log files.
Thanks in advance !
Cyril[/quote]

Hi guys,
In case you don’t see the other post, do any of you notice that the motors will slowly throttle up/down when idling just above minimum on the bench?
I think this might be related to the sync issue.
I notice that is the frame is very slightly off level, mine was about +0.42 wish this time, then motors 1/2 will slowly climb over about a minute or two and motors 5/6 will slow down. There can be quite a difference over a minute with motor 1 reaching 1450 and motor 6 getting down to 1100.
Closing throttle and opening it make the motors jump back to their previous offsets, modified by the throttle position but at the same relative speeds.
I am guessing but when the throttle is fully closed I think the offset is still there which is why I sometimes see some motors stop when I shut the throttle after running them for a few minutes.
Increasing THR_MIN has fixed that particular issue but I can still see quite a difference in motor speeds. Hovering a couple of centimetres above the bench reduces the offsets but if there is a bias towards rolling one way or another the offsets creep back in. This is less noticeable in 3.1.5 than 3.2 and when I am bench testing I am inside so no GPS.
I will try to make another motor lose sync by making the roll -0.44 is and see what happens.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Strangely, 3.2 has been working on my quad for ages and I love it!

I had a Pixhawk a few months ago that had cold solders on all of the ESC outputs. Only a few didn’t work all of the time and I had several hard flips due to the same motor stopping even after changing the motor and ESC.

[quote=“iUAS_AUS”]Hi guys,
In case you don’t see the other post, do any of you notice that the motors will slowly throttle up/down when idling just above minimum on the bench?
I think this might be related to the sync issue.
I notice that is the frame is very slightly off level, mine was about +0.42 wish this time, then motors 1/2 will slowly climb over about a minute or two and motors 5/6 will slow down. There can be quite a difference over a minute with motor 1 reaching 1450 and motor 6 getting down to 1100.
Closing throttle and opening it make the motors jump back to their previous offsets, modified by the throttle position but at the same relative speeds.
I am guessing but when the throttle is fully closed I think the offset is still there which is why I sometimes see some motors stop when I shut the throttle after running them for a few minutes.
Increasing THR_MIN has fixed that particular issue but I can still see quite a difference in motor speeds. Hovering a couple of centimetres above the bench reduces the offsets but if there is a bias towards rolling one way or another the offsets creep back in. This is less noticeable in 3.1.5 than 3.2 and when I am bench testing I am inside so no GPS.
I will try to make another motor lose sync by making the roll -0.44 is and see what happens.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Strangely, 3.2 has been working on my quad for ages and I love it![/quote]

This has nothing to do with sync. This is simply the I-term winding up, which is totally normal. Set Rate Imaxes to Zero, and it should stop. Do not fly like that though.

I had a Pixhawk a few months ago that had cold solders on all of the ESC outputs. Only a few didn’t work all of the time and I had several hard flips due to the same motor stopping even after changing the motor and ESC.[/quote]

Well that’s an interesting observation, thanks. I’ll bring that up.

Whatever happened to that board? Was it RMA’d? Do you have a number?

Mine has not tried to flip so far, I’ve flown at least a half dozen packs on 3.2 and another dozen or two on the beta before that. I have noticed a few oddities that I initially attributed to the frame and perhaps a small bug.

The first one was it doesn’t seem to like a slow liftoff, not sure if it’s PID related or not, but seems to me like it is as it was ok initially then after an autotune it gets worse. Manageable but definitely worse.

The second one is why I think it is PID related, if I arm the motors, they start to spin at a slow speed. If I then raise the throttle just enough for it to recognize it, the motors will rev up slowly, lowering the throttle will drop them to the minimum but when I raise it just slightly again they jump right back up to where they were. I am sure that if I left them to themselfs they would cause a dynamic rollover, which is also what happens above, so I will say they are one in the same problem.

I discovered the second part when it was raining out and I was flying in my garage to test, rearming them does reset it so that is how I handled it.

I’ve been smashing my head against the wall trying to find a way to tell if the optical flow sensor is working or not. I’ve seen lots of videos of people supposedly using it, along with basically every place BUT 3dr saying it isn’t compatible yet, however looking through the source I SEE the code for it in there. Just can’t find any hint in the logs that it exists…