Which Controller Hardware for a 250g autonomous Plane?

Hello,

8 year ago i was thrilled and happy with APM 2.6 and an EasyGlider.

Nowadays the restrictions are tight and i would like to build a 250g autonomous plane like this:

That guy used a pix racer r15. Is this still the way to go?

At the end of the day i want to run ardupilot.

Cheers,
Mario

No, I don’t think so. I would suggest a Matek H743-Mini FC. Nothing against Pixracers I use them but getting old, relatively heavy for a light build and they require more accessory hardware.

Hi,
I recommend the f4 nano v2.

Nick

Are you talking about an Omnibus board?

Hey Dave,

i googled the Matek H743-Mini FC and also found the “H743-WING-V3”.

What´s the difference here?

Cheers,
Mario

What about a Matek F405-WMN? A tiny and light weight flight controller with all the necessary parts on board like servo bec and current sensor. Unfortunately there is no sd card slot for logging, only a 16MB blackbox flash.

I big difference in size. The Mini is a 20x20mm footprint board, the Wing is a much larger and heavier 2 level board. If you have the space and can handle the weight the Wing board is a good choice. Functionally they are almost the same.

And it’s an F4 board. The only good reason to buy one of those IMO is if you simply can’t spend anymore $$ on a Flight Controller or an H743 isn’t available.

But, you get Block logging on that board so that’s not an issue.

The H743-Mini is 28x36mm, 20x20mm is the size of the mounting holes. And it has no servo bec and no current sensor.

What is wrong with an F4? Ok, it’s older than a H743 and some features like scripting are not available. But for flying an F4 board is not worse than a H743.

If size and weight (and $$ :grinning: ) is not a big problem then H743-WLITE would be my choice for almost all my models today.

Nothing I suppose for this Plane but the limited feature set with 1Mb boards isn’t a wise choice for future proofing IMO. H743-WLITE would be a good choice.

Hi Dave,

Yes but may struggle to find one.

Nick

Right. The V6’s are still around I think. I have one of those in a small Plane and while it’s not my favorite Flight Controller it works fine. It was the 1st small FC supported by Ardupilot (not incl the Revo’s) and I had them in some small 3-4" quads early on. Swapped them out for F/H 7’s along the way.