What version of Ubuntu Desktop for a VM on Windows 10

I got tired of trying to make the windows 10 Linux subsystem work. I ran into issues trying to compile a px4-v2 target. So I am reverting back to the tried but true virtual machine. I downloaded the latest VMware Workstation Player 14 and loaded it on my machine. So should I load Ubuntu 14.04 which is what is recommended in this wiki?
http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/setting-up-sitl-on-windows.html
or can I download and use a more recent Ubuntu version. If so, which one 16.04.03 LTS? I don’t understand the what goes into choosing a version and whether they are all created equally and can be used ardupilot development.

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Use whatever the latest Ubuntu LTS release is - so 16.04.03. That’s what a lot of us use - well Tridge, Peter and myself. Not sure what the others do :wink: When the LTS gets upgrade to 18.04.01 later this year we will upgrade to it but I’d suggest you wait 2-3 months after its released so all the “kinks” are worked out by then.

Thanks, Grant.

the tried but true virtual machine. I downloaded the latest VMware

You could try the Vagrantfile we ship - it should give you a dev env
suitable for creating of PX4 binaries with a single command…

Use 16.04 LTS. They are not all created equal. The LTS (Long Term Support) versions are supported for 5 years from release. Support for 14.04 LTS runs out sometime this year. 16.04 LTS is supported thru 2021. 18.04 LTS will be coming out later this year.

Since Windows is problematic anyway, you have the option, assuming you have enough hard disc space, to install Ubuntu 16.04 and have the installer partition your drive so you can boot to a pure Linux system. The Linux partition manager, PARTED, has a nice GUI in the installer so it’s fairly easy to set up the partitioning and decide how much space you want for each system.

GRUB (Grand Unified Boot Loader) will set up your system automatically for dual-boot and you’ll get a selection at boot of which system you want to load. Linux has full support for the Windows NTFS file system and you have read/write access to all your files on the Windows partition from the Linux system with Nautilus. It does not, however, work the other way around. Windows knows nothing about the EXT4 journaled file system linux uses, and won’t even recognize the partition.

Booting to a pure system always has advantages as the threading for your compiler, etc., will run much faster using the native instruction set for the cpu(s) vs running in an emulator or Virtual Machine.

Another option is to download the Ubuntu VM of Maverick, which provides a pre-compiled SITL version of Ardupilot as well as lots of other related components and a nice Web IDE:
http://goodrobots.github.io/maverick/#/?id=os-images

It’s quick and easy to also compile and upload a px4 fw target:
http://goodrobots.github.io/maverick/#/modules/dev?id=compileupload-to-flight-controller

Linux subsystem works just fine, all you need is a build 1709 (Creators Fall update) and a fresh Ubuntu from the store.
The only caveat is that you have to put your source code to a directory under the “native” WSL filesystem or keep it on windows, share it, and mount via the drvfs driver.

Thanks to all those who replied. Sounds like I have some options. I wanted to stay in the windows environment so I didn’t have to boot a virtual machine. I also wanted that capability to do both SITL with RealFlight 8, once I purchase it and be able to build PX4 binaries for loading to the pixhawk.

I think I will stick with what I know and get that up and running so I can continue programming. I will look at some of the other options as time permits.

Thanks again,
Bill